• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Creative ways to pay for PRK???

AGpilot08

So I've got this little dilemma on my hands of how in God's name I'm going to come up with the money to pay for PRK by late August. My target date to put in my package for OCS is in October when the new fiscal year starts and when there are fresh SNA/SNFO slots available. PRK is the last thing on my list to get done before I can get accepted though. Needless to say, I'm finding it difficult to come up with the money to pay for the corrective eye surgery. I'm open to ALMOST any suggestion to make some fast cash to pay for this thing. As far as I can tell, I'm looking at close to $4K to correct my 20/70 overall with slight astigmatism, so that should give you some idea for when you make your suggestions about coming up with that kind of money.

All I ask is that you try to offer up sensible suggestions, please. Although I would (if I absolutely had no other choice) sell my car and all my other worldly possessions, hell, even sell a kidney or my left nut to get this surgery paid for, I'd really rather not if those kinds of things can be avoided. I look forward to reading what ya'll come up with. Thanks guys!

By the way, becoming a male stripper or gigolo, while possibly being a helluva lot of fun and good money, are out of the question. Just wanted to put that out there... :-P

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Sell the car. Doing without for awhile builds character and some more exercise can't do wrong (looking at the bright side, here).

If that won't work, your family life isn't too bad, and you can deal with the shame, you could always take out a loan from the folks.

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
Oh and good luck!

My surgery date is 20 June. My advice (broken record) is to ask as many questions as you possibly can.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If you want to do the debt thing, I'd just get the loan they're talking about, and if you can't get it paid off in 18 months, roll it into the USAA commissioning loan. Be careful at that 18 month mark, they'll probably pile ALL of the accrued interest on if you don't have paid off.

If you want to do it the old fashioned way, and not go into debt get some jobs. If you're into sports, particularly baseball, and you live in a fairly populated area, you can make $100 to $200 a day every day of the week as an umpire. Not so much if you live in the middle of nowhere. You'll need $250 to $300 to get started, but the paycheck is sweet money, especially if you call games that have time limits.

And deliver pizza, but make sure you read the thread about tipping first. Probably not a big moneymaker if/when the economy actually becomes weak.

srqwho

pilot
I did the care credit thing. So far no issues. One thing though. And anybody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I recently was told that you HAVE to go to MEPS within 1 month of getting pro-rec'd (if you are). So, with the PRK wait, which it sounds like will be 3 months for you, you need to keep in mind that if you are up for the sept boards, and get good news, you have up to a month after that to go to MEPS, but if your waiver wait is not finished it may be an issue. Again, this is what I heard... can anybody else confirm this?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
If you want to do the debt thing, I'd just get the loan they're talking about, and if you can't get it paid off in 18 months, roll it into the USAA commissioning loan. Be careful at that 18 month mark, they'll probably pile ALL of the accrued interest on if you don't have paid off.

This is very true. you have to make sure that you at least have a plan to have it paid off, becuase the accrued interest really stacks up. Im only only six months post op, and my accrued interest is over 400 dollars so far.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
hot_shots_038.jpg

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sell your seed. Maybe $50 a pop, so to speak.

Knew a guy at school that did this, he was rolling in money all the time...we called it "Seed Money."

His response when teased was something along the lines of, "Hey, I'm getting paid to do it, are you?"

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Sell your seed. Maybe $50 a pop, so to speak.

Knew a guy at school that did this, he was rolling in money all the time...we called it "Seed Money."

His response when teased was something along the lines of, "Hey, I'm getting paid to do it, are you?"

It's a VERY difficult screening process to get in though, and I think it can vary how much it pays depending on... god knows what. Not that I know anything about this...:watching3

1)Bartend on weekends...its a crappy job, but the money is worth it...think about it this way..instead of blowing $70 one night on beer, you'll be earning $70 plus your wage. I banked like $160 this past weekend. In a bigger city it would pay triple.

2)Sell blow

3)Think about working for a resort cruise liner. I heard the pay is extremely good.

4)Donate plasma, the place where I'm at pays you about $250+ a month for like 2 times a week or something.

5)Taxi cab drivers and waiters make pretty good money too...