Congressmen/women income

Discussion in 'War Zone' started by twobecrazy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. twobecrazy

twobecrazy RTB...

Apparently there are several congressmen/women that are complaining about their pay. I just don't get it... :confused:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/members-congress-paid-enough-165641960.html

2. scoolbubba

scoolbubba Well-Known Member None

Maybe they can complain to the National Guardsman E-4 who's been called up for years at a time. It sounds comparable: people shooting at you, not really generous health care or retirement perks, away from home for months at a time, mkes about 174,000 a yea..oh waaaaaiiit. STFU already.

Alpha_Echo_606 and twobecrazy like this.
  3. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Big veiny triumphant bastard None

Wow. Bitch, bitch, bitch, congresscreatures. Get paid the same as a one-star general officer, with no actual duties or obligations to do anything besides try to get re-elected. Cry me a fucking river.

These were the same people who were willing to shut down the federal government and let PFC Snuffy out in the sandbox go unpaid, but wouldn't forego their own pay because, "I need my paycheck"?

4. gotta_fly

gotta_fly Active Member None

Yeah, but that poor guy had to give up his family mortuary AND don't you know people might shoot at him?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

5. HueyCobra8151

HueyCobra8151 Well-Known Member None

All those congressmen and women in that article talking about how they are living paycheck to paycheck on 174K a year...and we are expecting them to balance the national budget?

6. millsra13

millsra13 'Merica None

If they are bitching about a pay raise, put them on the same pay raise schedule as us. I bet those 1.4% pay adjustments will go back up real quick!

7. PhrogLoop

PhrogLoop Still trying to figure out Spacebook None

Let me begin by stating that I feel no pity for anyone who cannot live comfortably on $174K/year. But the average Congressperson is an established/possibly successful professional in his/her field who probably has a big ass house and couple of obnoxious cars back in their home district to pay for and now are expected to entertain and live it up in Georgetown on a salary a lot lower than they're used to bringing in.

Then there's this guy...
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/22/eveningnews/main7272636.shtml

8. phrogdriver

phrogdriver liberty risk None

When a congressman calls, flag officers jump, so they should get paid in that league.

Also, $174K goes quickly in DC if one doesn't sleep in his office, and still maintains a primary residence in his home state.

This is chump change in the budget, not even worth wasting time over. IMHO, we want non-millionaires to run for this job. Pay them well enough they don't need a second income.

What we do need to change are the POST-Congress employment rules. I'm happy to raise their pay, as long as they accept a LIFETIME ban on employment in any lobbying firm.

9. bunk22

bunk22 Super ********* None

One, $174K is decent money, live within your fucking means. Two, term limits for Senators and Congressman!!!

FrankTheTank and yak52driver like this.
  10. yak52driver

yak52driver Active Member

Absolutely agree with term limits!

11. squorch2

squorch2 he will die without safety brief None

Yeah, we don't need experience at ANY level of government!

Vote Quimby!

HercDriver likes this.
  12. MasterBates

MasterBates Well-Known Member

Experience? How many jobs have you learned and done in less than a year in the Navy?

How about less backdoor dealing and BS, and just vote up or down. No committee votes, no stonewalling shit.

13. phrogdriver

phrogdriver liberty risk None

There's always been backdoor dealing and BS. Read about the Founding Fathers if you doubt that for a second.

I'm skeptical of the term limits piece. That guy's votes didn't come out of thin air. His district elected him 10 times. Now, eliminating gerrymandered districts and making redistricting non-partisan, as a couple states have done, will increase the dynamism of congress a lot more.

While a "screw those bums" attitude may be cathartic and emotionally satisfying, our problems aren't our representatives' fault (well, except maybe the debt ceiling brinkmanship fiasco). They're the fault of a spoiled populace that wants no deficit, yet expansive government, huge benefits, a strong military, and low taxes. You can get maybe two of those things, but not all five.

millsra13 likes this.
  14. The Phiz

The Phiz Member None

No but. Not in the slightest. Like bunk said.... live within your means! It's not like the salary is a big mystery. They know what they are going to get paid when they first think of running. There is no excuse to not be able to balance a personal budget with $174k on the green side. Jesus.

*edit*- and how the hell do you quote names? I keep quoting blank chunks of text.

15. Fog

Fog Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect None

How about a BAH for congressmen equal to what a military officer gets? This would allow them to rent an apartment in the DC-area and STFU. Geez, I just Googled the rates. An O-3 in DC gets $2518/mo. That's a little better than the $240/mo. we got back in the day that wasn't area-specific.