• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commercial Helo Industry - Pilot Job Leads

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm starting a new thread for people to post job leads in the Commercial Helicopter world. Please feel free to post rumors or actual known postings...

ChuckMK23

pilot
Eagle Med - Kansas -

Nice fleet of fairly new/low time AS-350's. In addition they do quite a good business in the fixed wing side as well - (King Airs). These guys are hiring NOW. The offer of housing during your 7 day hitch is pretty unusual - meaning they are having a hard time finding well qualified pilots

Ballard Aviation/EagleMed has EMS Pilot openings in Chanute, Ks. and Tahlequah, Ok. Qualifications are: FAA Commercial and Instrument Ratings (Rotorcraft). Current Second Class Medical. In addition candidates will have 2000hrs. Total Time, 1500hrs. in helicopters - 1000hrs. PIC in helicopters - 200hrs. unaided night and 200hrs. turbine experience. Starting Pay from $40,000 to $55,000 per year based on experience. A $1,500 sign-on/ relocation bonus is paid at the completion of training. Annual cost of Living and Merit raises plus a corresponding bonus is awarded annually. Health insurance, Paid Holidays, and Vacation time included. Extra work is available and living quarters are provided for those who wish to commute.

All Interested Respond To:

Jim Glasner, Chief Pilot

Fax: (316)946-4855

Email: chief_pilot@flyeaglemed.com

No calls Please.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Very good info Chuck, but not for us young Navy bubbas, those numbers are for post DH guys which means that you're already in for 20...no choice there...mostly. I guess our fellow Army flyers and a lot of retired CO's are probably e-mailing them as we speak.

Can't imagine how it will be in a year or two when we loose close to 100 more hrs in flight time to the simulators!!!!!....No GA jobs for us...

Maybe we qualify to fly for food....hmm

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I've always been amazed by the helo job market. The hour requirements are so high that I can't imagine any civilian getting hired--it's not as though one can quickly get an IP ticket and work at an FBO, as one can in f/w. At the same time, as a naval aviator, you're absolutely right. I just cracked 2000 hours before I took the Devil's pocket change and agreed to stay in the Big Green Gun Club. The pay I'd get in the private sector would've been less than 2/3 what I am getting in the Marine Corps. Perhaps when I retire and get half-pay, I can take a job working 7-on, 7-off at an oil rig or something for s**ts and grins and a crappy paycheck. Of course, then I then become part of the problem, keeping wages low.

I think that Army warrants skew the market a great deal. One thing in our favor is that the 'Nam-era guys are finally packing it in. I think the only USMC/USN guys taking private helo jobs are often doing reserves to supplement their income (which these days is a ticket to Afghanistan or Iraq). Some are also single guys who don't mind sleeping on the couch in the crew room. My wife would have put my head on a pike if I told her I was quitting to take a $40K/yr job!

ChuckMK23

pilot
phrogdriver said:
I've always been amazed by the helo job market. The hour requirements are so high that I can't imagine any civilian getting hired--it's not as though one can quickly get an IP ticket and work at an FBO, as one can in f/w. At the same time, as a naval aviator, you're absolutely right. I just cracked 2000 hours before I took the Devil's pocket change and agreed to stay in the Big Green Gun Club. The pay I'd get in the private sector would've been less than 2/3 what I am getting in the Marine Corps. Perhaps when I retire and get half-pay, I can take a job working 7-on, 7-off at an oil rig or something for s**ts and grins and a crappy paycheck. Of course, then I then become part of the problem, keeping wages low.

I think that Army warrants skew the market a great deal. One thing in our favor is that the 'Nam-era guys are finally packing it in. I think the only USMC/USN guys taking private helo jobs are often doing reserves to supplement their income (which these days is a ticket to Afghanistan or Iraq). Some are also single guys who don't mind sleeping on the couch in the crew room. My wife would have put my head on a pike if I told her I was quitting to take a $40K/yr job!

Actually the hour requirements are generally driven by insurance underwriters. 1000-1500 hours is the prevailing minimum for off shore. 3000 hours or so for EMS.

You would be surprised at the number of civillian trained pilots in the market right now. Generally a young guy building hours teaching or doing utility work in a light single engine ship finds their first turbine position in the off shore area - and they go from there.

Starting pay is nearly double now than where it was 15 years ago! Starting salries are generallyin the $40-50K range and for the helicopter industry those are quite good. Way better than you would fare at a regional airline. Then there is corporate (NE sector, LA basin, etc..) where you can easily have a career that leads to six figures.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Military Helo Pilots for Blackwater Aviation - RECRUITING

Black Water Aviation - part of the Black Water group in Virginia Beach, is very aggressively recruiting for Helo pilots. These are overseas flying positions - flying a variety of civil registered helicopters in Afghanistan and Iraq. The pay is commensurate with the amount of risk involved.

From their announcement

We are a Part 135 Air Carrier, and require background checks for all employees. If you served in the US Military, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214.
If your resume does not meet our minimum requirements below, your resume will be discarded.

Rotor Wing (Helicopter) Operations:

Must be a US Citizen.
Pilots: 3,500 hours total flight time, with at least 500 NVG hours, and have served in either a high-risk environment or combat tour with the US Military. Must have a Commercial Pilot, Rotorcraft-Helicopter Instrument rating and a current Medical Certificate.

www.blackwaterusa.com/aviation

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've actually been to the Blackwater site before, and balked at the 500 hour min. That's a lot of time for Navy guys. My LPO and lead mech told me about Blackwater. He had some buddies who worked for them. Didn't say much about what they were doing that day he saw them, so you know it just had to be good. ;)

ChuckMK23

pilot
OMNI FLIGHT Hiring EMS Pilots

Omniflight is like the 3rd largest EMS helicopter vendor with programs all over the US. Their HR folks were kind enough to share their current openings:

Title Status City Status Aircraft Openings Comments
Line Pilot Full Time Amarillo TX BK-117 2
Line Pilot Full Time Opelika AL BH 206L 4 Start date 7/5/2005
Line Pilot Full Time Columbia SC BH230,BH206L 1
Line Pilot Full Time Conway SC BH 206L 4 Start date 8/1/2005
Line Pilot Full Time Indianapolis IN BK-117 1
Line Pilot Full Time Sious Falls SD BH 222 1
Line Pilot Full Time Saginaw MI PC-12 1
Line Pilot Full Time Dallas TX BK-117 1
Line Pilot Full Time Lodi OH BK-117 1
Line Pilot Full Time Columbus OH BK-117 1
Line Pilot, SIC Full Time Columbus OH BK-117 1
Line Pilot Full Time Marysville OH BK-117 1
Relief Pilot Full Time Columbus OH BK-117 1
Line Pilot Full Time Casa Grande AZ AS-350 1
Line Pilot Full Time Globe AZ BH 206L 2
Line Pilot Full Time Mesa AZ PC-12 2
Line Pilot Full Time Mesa AZ BH 206L 2
Line Pilot Full Time Payson AZ AS-350 1
Line Pilot Full Time Prescott AZ AS-350 4 Start date 6/1/2005
Line Pilot Full Time Missoula MT AS-350 4 Start date 8/1/2005

HR Email: humanres@omniflight.com
HR Fax: 972-404-8593

Contact Name: Colin Henry
Contact Phone/Fax: 972-776-0130/0132

Postal Address:
4650 Airport Parkway Addison, Texas 75001

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A retired MCPO SEAL friend of mine who is still quite --- let's say "active in consulting for the government" --- told me today that Blackwater, USA is "looking for qualified helo pilots". Great pay, bennies, and all the works. Obviously not your normal "air taxi" or "medivac" operation, but something you may want to check out.

Don't ask for details here , I couldn't give 'em if I knew 'em .... http://www.blackwaterusa.com/

aviationweb1.gif
baws1.jpg

VAmookie

Are we talking about $1000/day kind of money for these helo jobs at blackwater, like the ex-SEALs are getting for security?

ChuckMK23

pilot
It's been publicly reported that Blackwater has purchased a number of MD520N's (think civ MH-6 Little Birds") as part of a contract deal for operation in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I am told they are also actively looking to buy some light/medium twin engine ships that would be maintainable under Part 135 - for pax transport operations.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Iraq - flying to/from Green Zone to Baghdad Arpt.

Region: IRAQ

Company: Blue Hackle Aviation through Helicrew Solutions

Salary: £100,000pa tax-free

Position type: Full-time (8weeks on 4 weeks off)

Posted: July 2005

Job type(s): ex-military rotary pilots

Description: running a daily shuttle service from BIAP into Green Zone on BK117 and BO105. Candidates must have NVG experience, military background with desert ops, twin engine time, ATPL(H) and preferably rated on BO105 or BK117. UK and US nationals preferred.

Apply with CV including to pilot@helicrew.co.uk ref: IG06

bobbybrock

None
Yes the blackwater guys are fly either 520' or 530's over here. We see them downtown often. I have a few ex 160th friends flying for them. The pay is about 25,000 bills a month.

ChuckMK23

pilot
They must be doing security work with the 520/530's - they have a crappy cabin and useless for pax transport unless you ahr hanging operators on the outside..

Interesting on the use of BK-117/BO-105's for pax transport to the airport...

bobbybrock

None
Pretyy sure they are doing security work. I've seen them many a day with operators hanging out the back door with one foot on the skids. I'm in and out of BIAP daily and I've yet to see any 117's or 105's. Those guys might be taking over the contract of the civilians who operate a 412 down there.