• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Color of the hull under the waterline on the USS Alabama???

Citation3

Hello all...

I usually post in the aviation forum as a model builder, but I have a question about the hull color for a sub model.

I'm doing the Alabama and need to know if the hull color under the waterline is red or black? I'm looking to paint her as she sits in the water today. What dictates the color?

Thanks for any insight.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
My only recommendation. Though Mobile Bay is probably pretty cold right now so I would wear a wet suit.
girlcorl.JPG

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Citation, I honestly can't say for a trident. Most hull model depications show the hull under the water being red. Way back in the day when I served on 688s, the whole sub hull color was black. With some rust thrown in, some missing tiles, etc.

Here is a dry dock pic of a trident:

3536_1-2Trident%20.jpgTennessee%20and%2&.jpg

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
Here's a picture of the Ohio circa 2003. As far as I know the Alabama is painted the same way.

ohio-eng..jpg

Citation3

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your time helping out.

It looks like I may have to flip a coin. Red and black both seem to be in use depending on the time frame.

jmcquate

Contributor
I remember reading somewhere that the anti-fouling is applied to Boomers during re-fit and wears off during patrols.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The new antifouling paint on a Navy ship. If it's on the surface ship hulls, it's probably going on the sub hulls too.

Based on the amount of rust on the bottom, antifouling doesn't look to be doing too good of a job for the other stuff. I did a 9 month dry dock stint on the Cowpens, don't remember the hull coming out looking like that, but maybe the rust just blended in with the red.

jmcquate

Contributor
Their training program is simplicity itself. You just stick a cattle prod up their ass and you can get a horse to deal cards.
Simple matter of voltage.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Based on the amount of rust on the bottom, antifouling doesn't look to be doing too good of a job for the other stuff. I did a 9 month dry dock stint on the Cowpens, don't remember the hull coming out looking like that, but maybe the rust just blended in with the red.

That could be a result of the grounding...