• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Mishaps

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, so you found two youtube videos.

What of it...any comment or opinion on them? It makes for a better thread than us guessing what your point is.

:) in effect.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The second one was funny (as long as no one got hurt that is).
Spoken like someone who is more concerned with getting people out of the drink than personally going in it. :D I wonder why he didn't try to groundloop or hit something? We always brief that. Loss of NWS? Or did the Corsair not have that?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I wonder why he didn't try to groundloop or hit something? We always brief that. Loss of NWS? Or did the Corsair not have that?
EVERYTHING on the roof with wings has NWS ... or else they latch a steering bar/tiller bar onto you (especially if you are a STUD) :) .... but:

Pure speculation: He may have lost NWS in addition to main brakes ... I can't remember if it was tied hydraulically into the A-7 main brake system --- but then I only flew the Fruit-Fly off the beach, so I really didn't put a high priority on that little flight-deck detail --- or he may have hit the cat track (slippery) at the same time and/or had the wind pushing him along, too --- where he was in his taxi leaves little room for error and still less opportunity for someone on the deck to throw a chock under a wheel.

Bottom line: where he was left little room for error. That's why we always tapped our breaks immediately after the initial come-ahead to confirm positive braking ability .... :eek:

Or ..... It may have just been one of those ... "I shoulda' stayed in bed today" kind of days ....

Ahhhh .... Ready Room Commandos .... you gotta love 'em. :)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I imagine the A7 was probably similar to the A6 and A4 in that a massive hydraulic failure renders brakes and NWS inop. If it is bad enough, the emergency brake goes away as well.

Lawman

None
What kind of EP is there for a runaway aircraft situation? Steer, apply brakes, pray, eject? Or is there even one.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
isn't there like a hydraulic "fuse" somewhere in the system?? Or even a secondary pneumatic brake??
I would think that had he been spotted a little further aft he could have made a play for the wires and reverse trapped or possibly tried to steer in to the JBD and chop his motor. I suppose if he had catastophic hydraulic loss he had no differential breaking to steer, huh? For a second I actually pictured a little nose wheel steering wheel like in the p-3.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kind of EP is there for a runaway aircraft situation? Steer, apply brakes, pray, eject? Or is there even one.
In my limited experience (T-45 and Prowler), some aircraft have an "aux brake" accumulator which gives you a limited amount of brake applications if you lose your hyds. Antiskid could also be the culprit. So it generally goes something like:

-Release brakes (won't switch over with your feet on the brakes)
-Antiskid off (malfunctions there will sometimes dump brake pressure completely)
-Select aux brakes (if available)
-Reapply
-Hook down (universal signal for lost brakes)
-Last resort, pull the parking brake

At low speed, you try to taxi in circles until you stop. On rollout, you can try to take the longfield gear if there is any (hence the hook.) Also, turning your lights on on a carrier deck at night means something is wrong. We're taught at 129 to attempt to groundloop or try to run into something solid if you have to. Sucks for us because if the nosewheel departs the flight deck, the pilot is very quickly out of the envelope due to the 1.2 second delay of being the last guy out.

Lawman

None
In my limited experience (T-45 and Prowler), some aircraft have an "aux brake" accumulator which gives you a limited amount of brake applications if you lose your hyds. Antiskid could also be the culprit. So it generally goes something like:

-Release brakes (won't switch over with your feet on the brakes)
-Antiskid off (malfunctions there will sometimes dump brake pressure completely)
-Select aux brakes (if available)
-Reapply
-Hook down (universal signal for lost brakes)
-Last resort, pull the parking brake

At low speed, you try to taxi in circles until you stop. On rollout, you can try to take the longfield gear if there is any (hence the hook.) Also, turning your lights on on a carrier deck at night means something is wrong. We're taught at 129 to attempt to groundloop or try to run into something solid if you have to. Sucks for us because if the nosewheel departs the flight deck, the pilot is very quickly out of the envelope due to the 1.2 second delay of being the last guy out.

So put another point on the board for Helos..... Wow.

KBayDog

So put another point on the board for Helos..... Wow.

I'm not going to start another jets v. helos contest, but I will remind you that we rotorheads do not have an "envelope" for ejection. In that respect, for certain cases, you can put another point on the board for jets.

Nittany - what is the "groundloop" to which you refer?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not going to start another jets v. helos contest, but I will remind you that we rotorheads do not have an "envelope" for ejection. In that respect, for certain cases, you can put another point on the board for jets.

Nittany - what is the "groundloop" to which you refer?
Basically taxiing in tight circles until the jet comes to a stop. Works in the sim; I've never had to do it in real life. Thankfully.:icon_tong

KBayDog

Basically taxiing in tight circles until the jet comes to a stop. Works in the sim; I've never had to do it in real life. Thankfully.:icon_tong

Thanks - that's what I thought you meant, but I just wanted to make sure.

I also wanted to make A4s cry.