• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BUMED "Golden Shoulder" Shoulder Waiver Process Write Up

Green11

Living the dream
Hello all,

This is my first post, so should I break any forum rules, by all means let me know. First here is some background, I graduated college in May 2011 (War Eagle) and completed PLC (A) in 2010. I am also an air contract. In between OCS and commissioning, I tore my labrum (posterior) without dislocation requiring surgery and a waiver. I've seen a lot of posts concerning how to actually go about this and what happens at BUMED, so I figured I'd help some people out.

First off, it takes about a month to get a time scheduled to go to BUMED at MCRD Parris Island to get the appointment. You will go to the branch medical clinic where a Navy doctor will evaluate you. He will ask you how you hurt your shoulder, what stage you are at in the program, how many pullups, pushups, and crunches you can do, as well as your 3 mile run time. Also, he mentioned that if you have anchors as I did, Arthrex anchors are looked at more favorably than alternatives. After his interview with you, he will take you into an exam room and have you demonstrate your range of motion and test your strength in different positions. After this, you will go across the street outside to do a short workout consisting of 3 max sets of pullups and 3 sets of 40 pushups (diamond, wide, narrow). Then you will go back inside and bounce a medicine ball off a trampoline 20 times and he will test your strength again to make sure you weren't compensating somehow the first time. When you are done with that last strength test, he will take you back into his office where he will either recommend you for the waiver or deny you the recommendation. If he does recommend you, then you will hear back as to whether or not you got the waiver between 60-120 days (yes, I know this is a huge window).

Make sure you take all your medical documents that you submitted prior to going to MCRD PI. If you have any other questions, you can always PM me. I hope this helps clear some things up for some of you and good luck.

Semper Fi

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If he does recommend you, then you will hear back as to whether or not you got the waiver between 60-120 days (yes, I know this is a huge window).

After all that, you didn't say whether your waiver request was granted. Or are you still waiting in that 60-120 day window?:confused:
BzB

81montedriver

pilot
I fought the same fight and this is definately good gouge as it seems like a positive outcome. I also had a labrum tear however mine was because of 2 dislocations. My waiver request was turned down twice before I actually got the chance to see the doc.

Once I did see the doc, who actually came up to my OSO from Quantico to evaluate several other candidates, she put me through a similar strength evaluation. However, in addition to seeing the doc, I also had collected letters of recommendation from my orthopoedic surgeon, my college football coach and 2 of my college football athletic trainers. They basically stated that I had played football as well as lifted weights for my time in college without ever aggravating my shoulder.

There are a million other factors that will weight into whether you get accepted into the program or not. But in an effort to keep people positive, there are many success stories out there. No one was very positive about my application getting accepted, but it did and look at those gold things under my username.

Good luck to you in your process. Any other questions shoot me a PM.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
81montedriver brings up some good points regarding the letters from *qualified* folks. It takes very little time to read them and, if your eval is on the fence, may help push things in your favor. Docs tend to put more emphasis on letters/evals from other docs...but, letters such as those from other certified healthcare professionals (the trainers) will also work in your favor. That type of practical observation is only a plus.

Green11

Living the dream
About 10 minutes ago, I called BUMED directly after over a month of frustration filled with ambiguous answers from my COC. I wouldn't recommend doing that, but my OSO said "the only person that cares about you is you so it couldn't hurt too much." Anyway, while on the phone with the doctor there, my OSO called and said they granted me the waiver. It took longer than they said, but I don't know that a whole lot ever happens within the given window. I'm looking forward to seeing some of you in TBS.

81montedriver

pilot
About 10 minutes ago, I called BUMED directly after over a month of frustration filled with ambiguous answers from my COC. I wouldn't recommend doing that, but my OSO said "the only person that cares about you is you so it couldn't hurt too much." Anyway, while on the phone with the doctor there, my OSO called and said they granted me the waiver. It took longer than they said, but I don't know that a whole lot ever happens within the given window. I'm looking forward to seeing some of you in TBS.

Congrats!