• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boat Insurance

Crazy8

Has anyone found a good deal on boat insurance for servicemen? I checked with USAA, but they farm out their boat insurance to Progressive.

Cleonard19

Contributor
What type of boat?

Many of the people I know who have oceangoing powerboats and sailboats don't bother with insurance, because insurance for the international craft is hefty, and not really worth the cost in the long run, if you're the kind of person that can afford the boat in the first place.

Then again, the same people swear by their boaters insurance on their lake and rivergoing boats.

Crazy8

It's a 28 foot sailboat - an E Scow. Insurance is required for racing, and it's nice to have to offset the cost of a major breakdown like a broken mast or a collision.

Cleonard19

Contributor
My Uncle uses BoatU.S. for his sailing craft, and for his powerboat he uses strictly on the Chesapeake. They have low prices and good services, depending on the boat. His BoatU.S. coverage stops as soon as he leaves US territorial waters.

My dad uses National Marine, but he doesn't take his boat out of US territorial waters.

Progressive is cheap, and offers good service, but they're pretty slim on the amenities.

American Boating association is really cheap, but not bog on extras.

You really need to go to their websites and get their free quotes and see what they have to offer you. All their prices are across the board because their services are across the board. You just need to find the right price with the right services.

Insurance companies will often also change their rates for racing crafts, so make sure you make that known when you finally do choose somebody, else you may find yourself SOL at the wrong time.

But, since you're rocking an E-scow, the whole international waters thing likely doesn't apply to you. If it does, you're crazy. Go with Progressive.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I had a USAA for my 23 foot Chaparral for years. I don't think you should sweat Progressive since they are subcontracting through USAA, therefore you should expect the same service as you would as if it was USAA.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went with All State for my boat. Good service so far.

9f1fc4ff.jpg

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I had a USAA for my 23 foot Chaparral for years. I don't think you should sweat Progressive since they are subcontracting through USAA, therefore you should expect the same service as you would as if it was USAA.

I moved from Progressive to USAA for my auto insurance and my bill was cut in half. Food for thought.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What type of boat?

Many of the people I know who have oceangoing powerboats and sailboats don't bother with insurance, because insurance for the international craft is hefty, and not really worth the cost in the long run, if you're the kind of person that can afford the boat in the first place.

Then again, the same people swear by their boaters insurance on their lake and rivergoing boats.

Wonder if it's necessary for this kind of thing...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/11/coast-guard-rescues-five-sinking-sailboat-near-cape-lookout