• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BIG WATCHES. Are they still popular in Nasal Radiation?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Was wondering about this...so I'm asking.

Following AOCS commissioning and upon checking into VT-2 at NAS Whiting Field in late 1986, many of my peers (and myself) went out and purchased BIG WATCHES. The new school SNAs purchased Casio G-Shock digital dive/sport watches and the old school SNAs (like myself) purchased analog dive/sport watches. Pictured below is my beloved Seiko Automatic (mechanical) dive watch that I purchased at the NEX at Whiting in late 1986...which still runs like a champ and which I currently wear to work. Also, many of the IPs at Whiting at the time had BIG WATCHES...and at the FRS and fleet squadrons in the 1988-1992 time frame, BIG WATCHES prevailed.

So...are BIG WATCHES still popular in Nasal Radiation?

Rev

pilot
"So...are BIG WATCHES still popular in Nasal Radiation?"

I would say so. It seems to be an even mix of G-Shock and analog nowadays as well. I wear an analog Citizen myself and I love it.

Attachments

• image-36.jpeg
    image-36.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 59

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
;)
So...are BIG WATCHES still popular in Nasal Radiation?
In general... yes; however, the trend today seems to be tacsan $$$ designer Aviator Watches, special ordered, taking 1-2 years for delivery. Back in my day, only civilian Test Pilots and Flag Officers could afford them!:(

Type in search above WATCHES, to view many threads regarding aviator watches.

Being a tight-wad "depression era" baby... below, my humble 'big' $200 Erieff Aviator Watch w/ gold NA Wings, which has served me well. Back in NVN I flew with a gov't issue (~$15?) blackface w/ plastic strap, which would have totally pissed off the captor guards, had I been captured:p, thus earning...umm, special treatment!:eek:
Erieff Watches-Wings.jpg
BzB

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
That is good news, Ben...BIG WATCH OPS continuing in Nasal Radiation.

BTW...spiffy Citizen you have there...thanks for posting the pic.

:D

Pags

N/A
pilot
At my bachelor party I had buds from home and the squadron together. At the start of the evening at a bar, my bud from home asks, "how come all of your Navy buddies have huge watches?"

A7Dave

pilot
Don't know what the current crop of SNAs or NAs wear, but most post active duty guys I fly with wear a relatively large watch. Although these days, huge, colorful, useless watches are de-riguer for fashion hipsters....oops, in Obama's Navy, maybe that's ok.

One watch that I see guys wearing more than any other is the Citizen which look something like this: http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=AT8025-51E#filters=8025-51E

Fake Rolexes are still around. Real Rolexes and Breitlings for those with a big bank account.... I still have my 80's NEX analog+digital Seiko. Wife bought me a Tag Heuer version of it after 20 years because she couldn't stand the ratty velcro band I wore with the Seiko.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
this.....

sinn857s_closeup.jpg~original

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Yeah, that's awesome, but way more expensive than my similar-looking Casio
BASELWORLD%2B2009%2B-%2BCASIO%2B-%2BG-SHOCK%2BGW%2B2500.jpg
, which sets the time itself, and is solar-powered.

Any idea on where one could try one of those Sinn watches on? Say, in SoCal?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Yeah, that's awesome, but way more expensive than my similar-looking Casio
BASELWORLD%2B2009%2B-%2BCASIO%2B-%2BG-SHOCK%2BGW%2B2500.jpg
, which sets the time itself, and is solar-powered.

Any idea on where one could try one of those Sinn watches on? Say, in SoCal?

No I don't. I bought that watch for my kid as a winging gift a couple years ago. At the time there was only one SINN distributor in the country and they are physically located in Raleigh NC I think. Most if not all are sold online. It was expensive but it's a fantastic looking watch on the wrist and my son loves it. I personally like the tegmented (not black) version better.