• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Auto Transport Companies

robav8r

None
Contributor
Some of the folks on this board have asked about the pros & cons of shipping a vehicle in CONUS during a PCS transfer. I just completed my PCS move from Whidbey Island, WA to Jacksonville, FL and shipped both my wife's car (a 2004 Nissan Murano) and my new, 2008 Toyota Tacoma. This was my 7,485th PCS move with the Navy (or, at least it felt like it), and my wife didn't want to drive across country again. I chose not to drive my new truck across three mountain ranges in the middle of winter by myself (plus I'm old, my bones hurt after about eight hours of driving and I just didn't want to do it).

I shipped my wife's car back in Oct' 07 through a company called "All American Auto Transport (AAAT). The contact info is listed below. This company is merely a front which brokers out auto shipping contracts to anyone that has a truck and a driver. For me, this meant a Russian company (LOTS of shady, eastern European characters in the auto transport industry I learned). My wife's car was delivered within the advertised timeframe, but had significant damage to the roof (deep scratches). The driver (who spoke really good Russian, but not so good English), tried to bribe my wife with a $100.00 dollar bill and said: "Don't worry, go get your car detailed and a good wax job, the car will be fine." Bottom line - we had over $1300.00 in damage which we made a claim against USAA for. The car is repaired now and USAA is going after the "Russkies" for the deductible and repair bill. A good resource for researching auto transportation companies is: "transportreviews.com."

When I bought my Toyota in Nov'07, I asked about reputable auto shipping companies that either the dealer used/uses, or if anyone had any personal experience with an auto shipper. The company "United Road" was highly recommended to me (contact info listed below). They primarily ship exotic, custom vehicles, vehicles bought and sold at private auction, and to a lesser extent, personal vehicles being shipped around the country. The company owns all of their own trucks and drivers and only brokers out a shipment when it is absolutely necessary (No Commie Russkies though !!!). They charged me $1,425.00 and delivered my Toyota in excellent condition (although a bit dirty). I was quoted a 12 to 14 day delivery time - I got my truck in only eight days. Anywho, PM me with any questions.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY
www.aaat.com
Mike
Senior Sales Rep
All America Auto Transport
7514 Wisconsin Ave. Suite 450
Bethesda MD 20814
800.942.0001 (B) // 301.215.9215 (F)

THIS COMPANY WAS EXCELLENT - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM
United Auto Transport
www.unitedroad.com
(800) 788-7173
Matt Wade

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
How does this work for your travel claim? Do you just claim the miles as if you drove it yourself or can you get reimbursed for the auto transport fee?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To and From Hawaii

Along the same lines, anyone going to, or leaving HI that has a second vehicle... I used Pasha Transport (http://www.pashahawaii.com/) to ship my second car. Looks like their rates have gone up over the last year, now at $1050 for a POV.

Or you can use Matson (http://www.matson.com/pov/booking/shipping_rates.htm). They used to offer a discount for military on a second car, but last year when I asked them, they didn't know what I was talking about.

I was happy with Pasha, and I am sure that I am going to use them again when I move from Hawaii.

The military does offer a program called Opportune Lift (http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/Acti...id=320&catname=Opportune+Lift+Program&id=2547), where certain USNS vessels will occassionally transport cars and boats for service members.

Crowbar

None
I have used DAS three times and reccomend them too.

We used them before. My only advice with them is to consider the "guaranteed delivery option" or whatever they call it. It guarantees your car will be delivered by a certain date. We didn't think it was that important, and as a result our car sat in a terminal near Atlanta for over 3 weeks before it was put on a truck. It was still sitting there when our first "estimated" delivery date passed. Once it started moving, it went from Atlanta to Seattle in 5 days. We'll probably use DAS for our next move.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've also heard bad things about North American Auto Transporters, and good things about Speedy's Auto Transport FWIW

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The military does offer a program called Opportune Lift (http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/Acti...id=320&catname=Opportune+Lift+Program&id=2547), where certain USNS vessels will occassionally transport cars and boats for service members.
And your car might end up at sea going around the world for months as the ship gets diverted....

Plus the guys with the line throwing rifles liked to use the cars as targets during unreps.....more points if you could bounce the line off more cars....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I am another who has used AAAT with negative results. Back in 04, I shipped my 04 Nissan Altima and 03 Ford Cobra with them. I though I would save money....not a good idea. Both the cars were 3 weeks late. During my inquiry as to where they were, I got the run around many times. I finally spoke with the owner who claimed the driver of the truck was involved in an accident so he gave him some time off. I told him I could care less if his mother died, he's on my clock, I paid the money. So the cars arrive and I notice a whole lot of mud in the wheel wells of my Cobra. I also notice the hood isn't closed with mud under the hood and guess what, on the drivers side floorboard. Of course, the car has an extra 50 miles on it from the a-hole who took it for a joy ride. I filed comlaints, got $100 back but nothing else. I should have looked at the BBB and the complaints towards them. In one year, they had something like 90 complaints.

To ship my C6 Vette, I used Exotic Auto Transport and they were top notch. Matter of fact, when they picked up my Vette, they had a Ferrari F430, Porsche 911 Carerra and 03/04 Cobra. I was in good hands and they arrived right on time, exact miles on the car as I dropped it off.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I am another who has used AAAT with negative results. Back in 04, I shipped my 04 Nissan Altima and 03 Ford Cobra with them. I though I would save money....not a good idea. Both the cars were 3 weeks late. During my inquiry as to where they were, I got the run around many times. I finally spoke with the owner who claimed the driver of the truck was involved in an accident so he gave him some time off. I told him I could care less if his mother died, he's on my clock, I paid the money. So the cars arrive and I notice a whole lot of mud in the wheel wells of my Cobra. I also notice the hood isn't closed with mud under the hood and guess what, on the drivers side floorboard. Of course, the car has an extra 50 miles on it from the a-hole who took it for a joy ride. I filed comlaints, got $100 back but nothing else. I should have looked at the BBB and the complaints towards them. In one year, they had something like 90 complaints.

To ship my C6 Vette, I used Exotic Auto Transport and they were top notch. Matter of fact, when they picked up my Vette, they had a Ferrari F430, Porsche 911 Carerra and 03/04 Cobra. I was in good hands and they arrived right on time, exact miles on the car as I dropped it off.

Can you please provide a link for the Exotic Auto Transport you used for the C6? I Googled it but came up with a few similar results. Any price estimates if you have them also. Thanks.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Or you can use Matson..... I was happy with Pasha, ....am going to use them again when I move from Hawaii. ....
Not familiar w/ Pasha (sounds sinister -- your POV might end up in the Middle East :eek:) ......

But before you commit -- check out Horizon Lines. Former SeaLand, now part of Carlysle Group, I think ...

http://www.horizonlines.com/

102003Shipping%20H%20Route.jpg

I used Matson once and that was enough -- but I've used Horizon to-from HNL & the Mainland on 3 occasions -- their rates were either slightly LESS or exactly the same as Matson -- and your vehicle is shipped INSIDE a container -- no deck-loads like Matson (a really big deal, especially in the NoPac winters), so your vehicle arrives "clean" and I had NO DAMAGE on any of the Horizon POV shipments.