• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cookie_monster

Hello all,

I was part of class 10-18, (Feb 4, 2018) and went through a few days before I had a meeting with the flight surgeon. Pretty much I was NPQ'd for having 1.75 astigmatism, when 1.00 was the max standard. I remember I asked the eye doc at MEPS if my astigastigm was within standards and he said yeah.

Everything else medically was fine. (even my vision, surprisingly) I decided not to redesignate since I'm a civilian pilot and don't think i would be a motivated officer doing anything else. Waiting on the out-processing paperwork currently.

Anyone have a similar experience to mine?

If I do decide to get laser eye surgery, what would be better, Lasik or Prk, for my astigmitism (1.75)?

What would be the process of going back to OCS? I really hope I don't have to start from the beginning of the application process all over again.

**I ultimately ended up DORing since the out-process is 2-3 weeks rather than the 1-2 months for an NPQ. Hope that won't have an adverse effect if I state my reason.

exNavyOffRec

Hello all,

I was part of class 10-18, (Feb 4, 2018) and went through a few days before I had a meeting with the flight surgeon. Pretty much I was NPQ'd for having 1.75 astigmatism, when 1.00 was the max standard. I remember I asked the eye doc at MEPS if my astigastigm was within standards and he said yeah.

Everything else medically was fine. (even my vision, surprisingly) I decided not to redesignate since I'm a civilian pilot and don't think i would be a motivated officer doing anything else. Waiting on the out-processing paperwork currently.

If I do decide to get laser eye surgery, what would be better, Lasik or Prk, for my astigmitism (1.75)?

What would be the process of going back to OCS? I really hope I don't have to start from the beginning of the application process all over again.

**I ultimately ended up DORing since the out-process is 2-3 weeks rather than the 1-2 months for an NPQ. Hope that won't have an adverse effect if I state my reason.

I have had people who were NPQ and then were sent home, fixed the issue then went back.

however if you were thinking of going back, doing a DOR was a bad choice.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yyyyeah, there's an outside chance that the laws of supply and demand could work in your favor during the next few years, if pilot recruiting goes way up (and recruiting probably will), but it's a big black mark on your next application that you DOR'ed from OCS because you got NPQ'ed for your training designator. Granted, being NPQ'ed put you in a catch-22 for the next several years for when you could get eye surgery and thus reapply to pilot, but it's a big black mark and it's always going to be there.

HAL and Renegade don't agree on a lot, BTW...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hello all,

I have a buddy who DOR’d from OCS, and got picked up again as a JAG (he already had his JD and folks wondered why the hell his recruiter sent him SWO).

I would say that is highly unusual and looking at your background I wouldnt count on it.

But, the good news is the regionals are hiring... so you’ll at least be employable in the aviation industry once you’ve got the hours for R-/ATP mins.

MemphisBell

pilot
There was a SNFO in my OCS class that DOR'ed because he really wanted SNA. He reapplied and got accepted a year later for SNA. He is now down in Pensacola about to start primary.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Everyone I talked to here, even the OTCN administative officers, all said they have seen many DORs come back with good reason

They will always say that. I’ve seen individuals DOR with OTCN saying everything will be fine when in reality they screwed themselves from ever coming back.

MemphisBell

pilot
That’s not common and likely more to the story than meets the eye...
I understand that. Just trying to offer some words of encouragement and that it could be possible.

If i were you though, I would get Lasik as soon as you can, continue to fly and get your hours, and after 6 months reapply till you age out (which is 27 so you have some time lol). There is no harm in trying.