• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

At a community college

Supersix4

This is my first post:icon_tong...

Anyway, I am a full time student at a community college majoring in Aerospace Engineering.
I am definitely interested in BDCP but the problem is, I am not sure whether I am eligible because I am not in a 4 year program. (I read on about.com that I am, but comm. col. applicants are not competitive.) I have a 3.5 GPA and going to be transferring to the University of Florida spring 2012. (I'm trying to get as many classes out of the way as possible)

My question is, would I be eligible for BDCP once I transfer even though my GPA becomes 0.00 again?

Or should I apply when I get my GPA up? Hopefully I will have a 3.6 after this semester

Lucy

graphtor is correct. All college level grades are used when calculating your overall GPA for the navy's purposes. So make sure to keep those grades up. The application does show the different gpas from the schools, but the combination of the grades will be what is really considered.

You have to have either transferred to a 4 year school or be transferring the next term, i.e. it is winter2011 and you are starting at UF the following spring to apply.

Coming from a community college can cause you to be at a disadvantage, however, considering your major it should not cause as much trouble. All that math and science will weigh in your favor.

Good luck!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you are still going to be @ CC for a bit, I'd highly recommend knocking out as many physics/calc courses as you can while still there. As long as they transfer over credit wise, they will apply to your overall GPA, and CC versions of these courses are generally much easier with more instructor help available if needed.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
If you are still going to be @ CC for a bit, I'd highly recommend knocking out as many physics/calc courses as you can while still there. As long as they transfer over credit wise, they will apply to your overall GPA, and CC versions of these courses are generally much easier with more instructor help available if needed.
Definitely do this. Not only are they easier, but when you get to the university, you'll have seen the material already and if you retake the courses at the University (which you should do imho) you'll find yourself miles ahead in understanding (which translates to A's).

Supersix4

Thank you for your guys' replies. I am doing exactly what you guys are recommending. I have to pass Cal 2 in order to even enroll in classes in UF's engineering program, so I am definitely either way getting most classes out of the way at my Community College. The only thing is, I am running out of classes to take already. I CLEPT'D out a few.

When you apply to BDCP do you also apply to what field you want to enter? (ex. SNA, NFO, INTEL...)

Loki2004

When you apply to BDCP do you also apply to what field you want to enter? (ex. SNA, NFO, INTEL...)
Yes.

Have you received your acceptance letter from your university yet? My OR did not let me continue the process until I had my acceptance letter.

jl08

pilot
Thank you for your guys' replies. I am doing exactly what you guys are recommending. I have to pass Cal 2 in order to even enroll in classes in UF's engineering program, so I am definitely either way getting most classes out of the way at my Community College. The only thing is, I am running out of classes to take already. I CLEPT'D out a few.

While I definitely agree with the above posts about getting your calculus and physics classes out of the way at CC I would also recommend transferring as soon as you can after completing those courses. Aerospace Engineering (speaking from experience at A&M) will take you a minimum of three years to complete after transferring regardless of how many core classes you have taken due to the way the pre-requisites are set up and the lack of upper level summer class offerings.

Your experience may be different in Florida but I could have graduated a semester sooner had I not been so concerned with taking more classes at CC. Good Luck

Supersix4

While I definitely agree with the above posts about getting your calculus and physics classes out of the way at CC I would also recommend transferring as soon as you can after completing those courses. Aerospace Engineering (speaking from experience at A&M) will take you a minimum of three years to complete after transferring regardless of how many core classes you have taken due to the way the pre-requisites are set up and the lack of upper level summer class offerings.

Your experience may be different in Florida but I could have graduated a semester sooner had I not been so concerned with taking more classes at CC. Good Luck

Yes I am in that exact situation. I am taking as many classes as I can here, then when I get to UF I only have to take upper level classes. Doing this actually puts me back a semester or two like you said. I am pretty much done with my AA in Aerospace except for my math courses. I still have to go through the Calculus and Physics classes. The only problem is that I am running out of classes to take to be considered "Full Time" Maybe I can go for a minor? I am estimating that I will be graduating in FY2014. How competitive does FY2014 seem so far?

I see you are a SNA...
What was your major and GPA?
ASTB scores?
LORs?

I appreciate your replies, I am just now figuring everything out.

jl08

pilot
Yes I am in that exact situation. I am taking as many classes as I can here, then when I get to UF I only have to take upper level classes. Doing this actually puts me back a semester or two like you said. I am pretty much done with my AA in Aerospace except for my math courses. I still have to go through the Calculus and Physics classes. The only problem is that I am running out of classes to take to be considered "Full Time" Maybe I can go for a minor? I am estimating that I will be graduating in FY2014. How competitive does FY2014 seem so far?

I see you are a SNA...
What was your major and GPA?
ASTB scores?
LORs?

I appreciate your replies, I am just now figuring everything out.

If you are running out of classes to take at CC I would go ahead and transfer to UF as soon as you can. If you only have to get through calculus 2 then you can transfer next fall as long as you are enrolled in calculus 1 now. You can also get your physics classes knocked out between now and then (highly recommended).

I'm not a SNA yet, I'm in BDCP so I'm still in school. I'm studying Aerospace Engineering and my overall GPA (CC + A&M) was around a 3.5 when I was selected with an ASTB score of 55 6-7-6. I'm a prior so my LOR's were primarily from old CO's and people who knew me from previous commands. I think I might have had a professor too but I don't really remember. I can't really speak for how competitive FY14 will be as it really just depends on the caliber of applicants when you apply and the needs of the Navy. I got selected on my first try but my outcome could have been different had I applied during another cycle. All you can do is your best.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I went to a CC for a few years, and was accepted into PLC (I know, different program) while there. The only advice I would give is to be in close contact with admissions and advisors in your degree program at UF. I wasn't and ended up losing transfer credits from my CC. Good Luck.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I got into BDCP through community college in 2006. The main thing is to have your transfer planned out before you apply. Have a plan and make the transfer process as short as possible. The more stable the transition, then better your chances and the more likely your package will be taken seriously. Keep your grades up and go into 4 year college swinging. You'll do fine.