• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Study Tips/Guidelines 20142701

This study guide was passed to me through my Marine Officer Selection Office. It briefly covers a few study tips regarding the most recent ASTB as of the date of this post. I have found this extremely useful in my studies as I pursue a Commission as an Marine Officer. I was unable to find any other posting on this forum similar to this, please inform me if I am coming close to any other form of study material released on this forum. If you have any constructive criticism and/or addition information please feel free to comment below.

Candidate Morrison

Primary Books Used:
  1. Master the Military Flight Aptitude Tests 8th Edition; Peterson's Publishing
  2. FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
Other Study Materials: [provided by OSO]
  • ASTB Practice Questions
  • ASTB Personal Study Guide
  • Information on Aviation Selection Test Battery for Pilot and Naval Flight Officer Applicants
  • Military FLight Aptitude Tests 6th Edition; Thomson Peterson's Publishing
Study Habits:
  • Approx. 2 1/2 months of regular, regimented studying
-3 days per week [the minimum I would recommend.]
-2+ hours per study session [shoot for at least one day of 3+]
  • Study Session Time Breakdown: [Times are approximate]
-45 minutes for math section
-15 minutes for reading section
-30 minutes for mechanical comprehension section
-30 minutes for aviation section
-*Keep in mind that this timescale pertains to your own personal current knowledge.*
Study Tips:
  • Understand basic algebraic formulas
-Most of the problems encountered on the math portion of the test were basic algebra
-If unable to understand practice problem formulas, Google them
  • Practice speed reading
-Being able to scan a paragraph and pick out the key terms and ideas will be very helpful due to the time limit on the reading comprehension portion of the test
-Do not use any previous knowledge to help answer the questions. Only use the information that you are given in that certain paragraph.
  • Naval Terminology
-Both naval and aviation terminology is tested on this test, and therefore you must become familiar with both. Some examples of naval terminology to familiarize yourself with would be:
-Naval personnel job ratings
-Basic anatomy of naval vessels
  • Naval/Naval Aviation History
-One question was encountered covering naval history
  • Aviation Information
-THIS IS THE MAJORITY OF THE AVIATION SUBTEST
-Names of all control surfaces of an aircraft
-Basic instrument comprehension
  • Basic Meteorological Terms
-2 questions in this subject were encountered on the aviation subtest
-Air pressure and its effects on aircraft

Send me a Message if you are interested in ASTB-E power point, having trouble posting on this thread for some reason, but I'd be more than willing to send it to you through e-mail.

Moderator comment: PDF File below.

Last edited by a moderator:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Send me a Message if you are interested in ASTB-E power point, having trouble posting on this thread for some reason, but I'd be more than willing to send it to you through e-mail.
How big is the ppt? You may want to use a utility like NXPLite to shrink it.

doesn't allow pdf for some reason. I took the exam this morning and the software explains the ASTB-E portion prior to examination. Scored a 51 6/6/6

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
Thanks for the upload. That's the clearest explanation of the UAV section I've seen.

ahh

This study guide was passed to me through my Marine Officer Selection Office. It briefly covers a few study tips regarding the most recent ASTB as of the date of this post. I have found this extremely useful in my studies as I pursue a Commission as an Marine Officer. I was unable to find any other posting on this forum similar to this, please inform me if I am coming close to any other form of study material released on this forum. If you have any constructive criticism and/or addition information please feel free to comment below.

Candidate Morrison

Primary Books Used:
  1. Master the Military Flight Aptitude Tests 8th Edition; Peterson's Publishing
  2. FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
Other Study Materials: [provided by OSO]
  • ASTB Practice Questions
  • ASTB Personal Study Guide
  • Information on Aviation Selection Test Battery for Pilot and Naval Flight Officer Applicants
  • Military FLight Aptitude Tests 6th Edition; Thomson Peterson's Publishing
Study Habits:
  • Approx. 2 1/2 months of regular, regimented studying
-3 days per week [the minimum I would recommend.]
-2+ hours per study session [shoot for at least one day of 3+]
  • Study Session Time Breakdown: [Times are approximate]
-45 minutes for math section
-15 minutes for reading section
-30 minutes for mechanical comprehension section
-30 minutes for aviation section
-*Keep in mind that this timescale pertains to your own personal current knowledge.*
Study Tips:
  • Understand basic algebraic formulas
-Most of the problems encountered on the math portion of the test were basic algebra
-If unable to understand practice problem formulas, Google them
  • Practice speed reading
-Being able to scan a paragraph and pick out the key terms and ideas will be very helpful due to the time limit on the reading comprehension portion of the test
-Do not use any previous knowledge to help answer the questions. Only use the information that you are given in that certain paragraph.
  • Naval Terminology
-Both naval and aviation terminology is tested on this test, and therefore you must become familiar with both. Some examples of naval terminology to familiarize yourself with would be:
-Naval personnel job ratings
-Basic anatomy of naval vessels
  • Naval/Naval Aviation History
-One question was encountered covering naval history
  • Aviation Information
-THIS IS THE MAJORITY OF THE AVIATION SUBTEST
-Names of all control surfaces of an aircraft
-Basic instrument comprehension
  • Basic Meteorological Terms
-2 questions in this subject were encountered on the aviation subtest
-Air pressure and its effects on aircraft

This is really useful. I was wondering if you had any advice on how to study for the UAV/Parking lot questions for the ASTB. I took the test last week and was completely stumped by it. I didn't realize that I had unlimited attempts on the practice portion, so I didn't really understand what I was doing when I entered the real exam. Needless to say, it did not go well. How can I practice these types of problems so I can do well next time? Or is there a trick that can help me during the exam?

Thanks for your help!