• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB scoring estimate?

Dreammariner

I'm glad to have found this site, it is extremely helpful.

I am beginning to study for my ASTB and I am having a bit of angst due to the fact that I really don't know where I stand from the practice tests. I've searched through these boards and have come to an understanding that the way ASTB score is calculated is relational, but does anyone know what the average scores tend to be?

For example, on the practice tests, I am currently scoring around 85% average across the tests. If I had a similar result on the ASTB, would that be around average? Over? Under? How did you guys do on practice tests vs your actual ASTB score.

Thanks in advance!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you taking into account the TIMED TEST variable?
Keep studying until you know the material well and you have a firm grasp on the problem solving methods required to so succeed in a TIMED test.

BTW, since you asked, here's the average:
staninepicture.gif

Dreammariner

Are you taking into account the TIMED TEST variable?
Keep studying until you know the material well and you have a firm grasp on the problem solving methods required to so succeed in a TIMED test.

BTW, since you asked, here's the average:
staninepicture.gif
Thanks for the information.
I have been timing myself. The errors I have in the math section tend to be from lack of time, which is why I definitely need to study more. I appreciate the graph, but this seems to just be the spread of how many people are average, rather than how many answers average people got right. I guess I'm looking for the average to shoot for to get an 8 etc. For example, does the average people who gets an 8 get 90% right?

I realize no one knows exacts numbers, but even an estimate based on what you got compared to your practice test results would be extremely helpful.

exNavyOffRec

I have been timing myself. The errors I have in the math section tend to be from lack of time, which is why I definitely need to study more. I appreciate the graph, but this seems to just be the spread of how many people are average, rather than how many answers average people got right. I guess I'm looking for the average to shoot for to get an 8 etc. For example, does the average people who gets an 8 get 90% right?

I realize no one knows exacts numbers, but even an estimate based on what you got compared to your practice test results would be extremely helpful.

You have 3 shots, take the test, see where you stand, in general from all the people I saw take the test at my NRD 8's and 9's were on occassion but most were 6's and 7's, I think over 3 years I only saw a few get 1's, 2's or 3's

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Did you even look at the graph? An 89-96% is an 8.

yakboyslim

None
Those are percentiles, not percentages. The way I would read the graph those numbers do not correspond to test results, but rather test results compared to a result data set. This graph says nothing about raw percentages corresponding to any scores, it's just a standardized test bell curve.

Dreammariner

Thank you Yak, I was starting to wonder how anyone in here passed the reading comprehension / math portion on their ASTB ;) . All these answers have described the shape of the bell curve. I was hoping to take the test only once, considering the time constraints before the next board. If anyone remembers their average percent score on their practice test and can tell me what their result was, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll list how I did at the end of this month for anyone else whose interested in the "rough conversion".

dfred

pilot
Thank you Yak, I was starting to wonder how anyone in here passed the reading comprehension / math portion on their ASTB ;) . All these answers have described the shape of the bell curve. I was hoping to take the test only once, considering the time constraints before the next board. If anyone remembers their average percent score on their practice test and can tell me what their result was, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll list how I did at the end of this month for anyone else whose interested in the "rough conversion".
I know it's not really the answer you want to hear, but the time you spend being preoccupied trying to figure out percentages you could be studying and preparing for the test. The sections are weighted and affect each of the scores differently. My suggestions is soak up as much information on this site. Review the gouge that is online and do the tests again and again until you can do all the problems in your sleep. If you feel prepared and go into the test confident, you shouldn't have any problems. I studied for a few hours a day for about 3 weeks prior to the test and got an 8/9/9/63. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

BleedGreen

pilot
Agree with post above but if it provides you any comfort I can share my scores from the real test and practice tests.
I was consistently scoring at or above 90 percent on the reading, spatial, and Aviation/nautical info. As for the math I was scoring a little lower than that...mid 80's to low 90's.
As for the real ASTB, I scored 7/8/7 59. I feel my strong points on the actual test were the spatial, aviation & nautical info, and supplemental sections. For the reading, I felt did a little worse than on the practice tests and the math was about the same.

Dreammariner

Thank you both.
Dfred, don't worry I hear what your saying. On the other hand, I don't spend more than a few minutes a day concerned about it. It would just been good to know where I'm at currently. I have definitely been reading through the gouges on the site though, it's been very helpful.
BleedGreen, congrats on the score and thanks for the data! It's much appreciated.

BleedGreen

pilot
Thank you both.
Dfred, don't worry I hear what your saying. On the other hand, I don't spend more than a few minutes a day concerned about it. It would just been good to know where I'm at currently. I have definitely been reading through the gouges on the site though, it's been very helpful.
BleedGreen, congrats on the score and thanks for the data! It's much appreciated.

Sure thing, when do you plan on taking the test?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
As soon as I have everything else ready for my package. Hopefully by the end of the month! I'll let you know how it goes

You should get the exam done to give you a buffer in time if you need to take it again. The next board may be another competitive board unlike the the previous boards before July. I had my exam done first then focused on the rest of my package.

exNavyOffRec

You should get the exam done to give you a buffer in time if you need to take it again. The next board may be another competitive board unlike the the previous boards before July. I had my exam done first then focused on the rest of my package.

I would agree, I saw more people that waited to take the exam get in a bind than those that took it and allowed a buffer.