• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB for coasties

SamAca10

I took the ASTB (Form 5) today and ended up getting AQR of 6 and a PFAR of 6, along with an OAR of 56. Are these good to go, or should I consider retaking the test?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I don't think there is really a cutoff that determines a 'good' score from a 'bad' one. When I applied (granted that was over 10 years ago), flight school boards didn't put a whole lot of emphasis on the ASTB unless you had an alarmingly low score. I don't remember my exact scores, but I was within my peer group from asking around.

Things may have changed since then, but I wouldn't sweat your score too much. Worry about writing a good application and getting good OER's. I think both of those will carry more weight with the board.

My two cents of course. :)

Spectre

So, I've become fairly set on joining the Navy and am in the process of getting my "ducks in a row" with my recruiter. That being the case, I had some interest in the Coast Guard and wanted to consider it before jumping into anything. I set up a meeting with a Coastie recruiter in Raleigh after taking the ASTB earlier in the day --he informed me that the Coast Guard did not accept ASTB scores for OCS (in fact he stated that he didn't even really know what the test was and I had to explain it). That came as a bit of a surprise since every single official source that I've seen has stated that the ASTB is used in the Coast Guard, Marine, and Navy selection process. He instead was asking me if I'd taken an ASVAB, SAT, or ACT (and stated that such scores are used in the selection process). Needless to say, this was a bit confusing.

I still lean toward the Navy, as I believe I will have a higher chance of getting into an aviation-related officer position (among other things). But, I am open and the experience with the Coast Guard recruiter probably influenced my decision a bit (if the ASTB is not used, I don't want the last three months I spent studying for it to have meant nothing). Any thoughts on this? Was the Raleigh recruiter just ignorant of the facts?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
The Coast Guard uses the ASTB for those applying for pilot training. The recruiter is likely correct that it will not factor into your OCS application like it does for the Navy.

Those already in the OCS program applying to go to flight training following commissioning require ASTB scores though. I've sat on these selection boards and every candidate had to have passing scores. If you need it to apply for the Navy, then the time you spent studying shouldn't be considered a waste of time regardless of whether you will need it for Coast Guard OCS or not.