• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Assigned Directly After OCS?

WillH

After finishing OCS are newly commissioned officers typically assigned orders to report immediately? Do they usually/ever get the weekend directly following the ceremony off? My family will likely be flying to Rhode Island if/when I am commissioned and I am considering spending the weekend with them on the east coast. Thanks! :D

Splonk

It depends on when classes start and your command. You can try and take leave and go into the red.

Pilots get OHARP right now, so if you're doing that then you'll get to go home for a couple weeks. I don't really see that trend changing any time soon.

There are also some people in my class that have to report to their new command on Monday following graduation.

exNavyOffRec

After finishing OCS are newly commissioned officers typically assigned orders to report immediately? Do they usually/ever get the weekend directly following the ceremony off? My family will likely be flying to Rhode Island if/when I am commissioned and I am considering spending the weekend with them on the east coast. Thanks! :D

It is like near the end of Top Gun, right after the ceremony they call your name, give you orders and you are gone in minutes :D

WillH

Ha! Well I really am not sure what exactly happens after commissioning, so just checking. Thanks!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Disclaimer, this was what happened to me a few years ago.

When you commission out of Newport, your orders to PCola will have a Report No Earlier Than and No Later Than date (or at least mine did a few years ago) for travel down. Mine was commission on 29 Jan, Report NET 31 Jan, NLT 02 Feb. That was four days total, the drive realistically takes 2 days.

You may be able to take a few days of leave in route if you call ahead to the Student Control folks and ask. Those would come out of your leave balance.

Some folks may have more recent gouge on whats up.

EDIT: Also, seriously, I know your gung ho, but trim up some personal info you're putting on here. Don't make yourself known before showing up to OCS.

RMP

Looks good to me

If you get OHARP, get ahold of your point of contact at your recruiting station and ask if you can phone muster for a day or two before physically reporting.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
Unless we go to war with Russia between now and your graduation, you will get at least a couple weeks of Officer Home Area Recruiting Program (OHARP). They make you get a contact for the recruiting district you want to serve at (you can actually go anywhere, but most go to where there parents live) before they cut you orders. Ask that contact if you can report on Tuesday or Wednesday after graduation, they should be cool with it.

CWO_change

OP: you're a pilot designator, so expect OHARP, as others have mentioned. From my experience, most communities at OCS seemed to get some kind of OHARP. The supply officers in my class weren't guaranteed it, though, as the Supply Corps School wanted them to report the day after graduation! However, I think some things were worked out even with that group and the essentially had OHARP duty for a couple of weeks. I had just over 5 weeks of OHARP (CWO).

CWO_change

What will you actually do in OHARP?

It really all depends on the NRD/NRS. For my OHARP experience (in the NYC area, though NRD headquarters is on Long Island/Garden City), after checking in at headquarters and meeting my immediate supervisor in charge who told me that I wasn't needed in the office, I phone mustered daily and had to take 2 people to MEPS. Some of my OCS classmates had to physically muster daily and were assigned tasks such as making sure that the office had the proper policies posted, etc. But some were even more hands-on than that.

Edit: had I lived closer to the NRD headquarters, I was told that I probably would have been required to physically muster every morning, though whether I'd actually have "work" to do after that isn't clear.

exNavyOffRec

OP: you're a pilot designator, so expect OHARP, as others have mentioned. From my experience, most communities at OCS seemed to get some kind of OHARP. The supply officers in my class weren't guaranteed it, though, as the Supply Corps School wanted them to report the day after graduation! However, I think some things were worked out even with that group and the essentially had OHARP duty for a couple of weeks. I had just over 5 weeks of OHARP (CWO).

The only guys at my NRD we ever had at OHARP were SNA and SNFO, and one NUPOC and those were only due to backlog,

exNavyOffRec

It really all depends on the NRD/NRS. For my OHARP experience (in the NYC area, though NRD headquarters is on Long Island/Garden City), after checking in at headquarters and meeting my immediate supervisor in charge who told me that I wasn't needed in the office, I phone mustered daily and had to take 2 people to MEPS. Some of my OCS classmates had to physically muster daily and were assigned tasks such as making sure that the office had the proper policies posted, etc. But some were even more hands-on than that.

Edit: had I lived closer to the NRD headquarters, I was told that I probably would have been required to physically muster every morning, though whether I'd actually have "work" to do after that isn't clear.

very true it does vary depending on the NRD, our guys would go to career fairs with us, or do admin work, except for every once in a while they had to come in each day, if they didn't live near the NRD HQ or where an OR was odds are there would need to find a way to live near one during the week.

CWO_change

The only guys at my NRD we ever had at OHARP were SNA and SNFO, and one NUPOC and those were only due to backlog,

I think the only folks from my OCS class who didn't end up on OHARP duty were the SWOs, who, of course, went straight to their ships. My class was fairly typical (for the classes that were on deck when I was in Newport) in that we had a very good variety of designators. This as compared to some previous classes from years ago where the class shirts seemed only to list SNAs and a random SWO!

WillH

That is great info thanks all! Anyone have an idea of how long OHARP lasts on average for SNAs?