• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Aspiring INTEL/IP Officer- Seeking Interview (Phoenix Area)

Beau Barela

Good day,

I’m new to this forum and actually all forums so please excuse (and correct) my lack of decorum. I’m prior service (Navy-IT2, 2010-2014) and am submitting my OCS package for the December INTEL and IP boards. I’ve read through the boards, attempting to put my figure on what makes those few who are selected stand out.

All else being equal (falling under the bell curve), what separates those few from the rest? From my research it seems that interviews in the respective communities help out a great deal. I’ve got letters of recommendation from two of my prior officers (Medical Admin IT), as well as from Army INTEL officers who I’ve known for ten plus years. Do you think an interview with an officer in one of the two communities would be beneficial and if so are there any in the Phoenix area available and willing to hear my plea?

Thanks in advance. This forum has some great information.

exNavyOffRec

Good day,

I’m new to this forum and actually all forums so please excuse (and correct) my lack of decorum. I’m prior service (Navy-IT2, 2010-2014) and am submitting my OCS package for the December INTEL and IP boards. I’ve read through the boards, attempting to put my figure on what makes those few who are selected stand out.

All else being equal (falling under the bell curve), what separates those few from the rest? From my research it seems that interviews in the respective communities help out a great deal. I’ve got letters of recommendation from two of my prior officers (Medical Admin IT), as well as from Army INTEL officers who I’ve known for ten plus years. Do you think an interview with an officer in one of the two communities would be beneficial and if so are there any in the Phoenix area available and willing to hear my plea?

Thanks in advance. This forum has some great information.

IDC is so competitive that something a person has that makes them stand out might be overlooked on another, you have good degrees, get some good employer LOR's and then you have to see where the chips fall, there is no silver bullet when it comes to IDC.

The only thing you don't mention is your GPA, that is a big part of IDC as well.

Beau Barela

Thank you for your reply.

My undergraduate degree GPA was less than stellar but well above the minimum standards for acceptance. My MBA GPA was 3.325 and completed while on active duty from a reputable school. My early twenties definitely were not wasted. I started a GIS program prior to enlisting which I think might be applicable to the INTEL community. I applied my GIS knowledge to benefit my last command and ended up becoming a huge value for them. All of this was touched on in my motivational statement. We shall see what happens.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for your reply.

My undergraduate degree GPA was less than stellar but well above the minimum standards for acceptance. My MBA GPA was 3.325 and completed while on active duty from a reputable school. My early twenties definitely were not wasted. I started a GIS program prior to enlisting which I think might be applicable to the INTEL community. I applied my GIS knowledge to benefit my last command and ended up becoming a huge value for them. All of this was touched on in my motivational statement. We shall see what happens.

your GPA's will be averaged (not a add the 2 and divide by 2, based on GPA points earned divided by credits earned), your GPA may hurt you bad as they will look at that hard, I believe RUFIO mentioned IDC put out info that the minimum GPA has been raised.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
How did you end up at the University of Redlands for the MBA, but did your GIS degree in Texas? Redlands has got to be the lead college in the world for GIS.

No judgement here, just curious.

Beau Barela

How did you end up at the University of Redlands for the MBA, but did your GIS degree in Texas? Redlands has got to be the lead college in the world for GIS.

No judgement here, just curious.
I found out about the University of Redlands through my GIS experience, specifically my work with ESRI which is headquartered right next to the University. Their GIS Masters program is a full-time year long program so that was out of the question being active duty. With the MBA I was able to apply GIS to the business world. Actually, I'm not sure how much a Masters in GIS gives you if you've got years of professional GIS experience.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I found out about the University of Redlands through my GIS experience, specifically my work with ESRI which is headquartered right next to the University. Their GIS Masters program is a full-time year long program so that was out of the question being active duty. With the MBA I was able to apply GIS to the business world. Actually, I'm not sure how much a Masters in GIS gives you if you've got years of professional GIS experience.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

oceanov

MEPS Medical Technician
Here in the Phoenix area, your best for an officer interview would be by asking the officer recruiters to find officers for you or talking to Navy Recruiting District.