• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Had a PRK Enhancement?

atflor

pilot
I had PRK about 6 weeks ago and already it appears I will need an "enhancement" on my left eye. I went from about 20/60 in that eye to about 20/30...and the enhancement will hopefully get me to better than 20/20. If you had to have a second PRK procedure please share your situation and results.

MettGT

pilot
I had PRK about 6 weeks ago and already it appears I will need an "enhancement" on my left eye. I went from about 20/60 in that eye to about 20/30...and the enhancement will hopefully get me to better than 20/20. If you had to have a second PRK procedure please share your situation and results.

I haven't had an enhancement, but 6 weeks is far too soon to be thinking about that. It'll take several months for your eyes to stablize and for some, even longer. No need to sweat it yet.

a buddy of mine in my unit had prk and thought he would need enhancement in his left eye 3 months after the surgery. two weeks later it continued to heal to 20/20 and he passed his flight physical. 6 weeks is way to soon to be worried.

atflor

pilot
a buddy of mine in my unit had prk and thought he would need enhancement in his left eye 3 months after the surgery. two weeks later it continued to heal to 20/20 and he passed his flight physical. 6 weeks is way to soon to be worried.

I wish that were true, however, my doctor has assured me that even though it's only been six weeks he is quite confident I will need the enhancement. I would love for it to get better on its own, but my doctor confirmed that I am experiencing refractive error, not an error from the healing cornea.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't need it but have heard of it being done . . . it doesn't seem common, but not unheard of, either. Your eyes will need at least 6 months to fully stabilize.

That said, I would trust the word of a surgeon over a bunch of schmucks on an Internet site.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Is said eye doc performing the enhancement as part of the original, or is this something that falls into the "additional fees may apply" category? Six months isn't that long to wait. You might be surprised.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Who needs PRK or PKR .... ???

From the NAMI "official" chart ...

KCNRD ZSHOV
... and that got me through for 20 years ... :)

tiger84

LT
pilot
^^^Use the search function. You can read all about laser surgery, who's had it and how it worked out.

lthackston

I'm going to mirror other replies here as well. My eyes didn't fully heal until six months after the surgery. Before that, I was easily at 20/30 or 35. I was also quite light sensitive for most of that period. So six weeks is very early to be worrying if the original surgery was a success. However, I suppose it could be wise to take the word of the surgeon over all of us.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
hi guys, i'm wondering if its ok to have prk treatment before becoming a pilot.

I had PRK last March or April, and I just got selected for STA-21 SNA for FY07. It can be done. There are other posts now talking about Custom PRK, and whether or not it is acceptable right now, so you can search for those forums and find out what's up. Hope this helps.

borinf2d

T-Bone
I had PRK and my right eye didn't get to 20/20 for almost 3.5 months (but close to it after after a month) It has been 6 months since I had the procedure and left eye is still 20/25, my doctor wouldn't do the enhancement until the 6 month mark.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
so is it okay to have really horrible eye sight and get prk to get 20/20 vision then become a pilot?

Depends how horrible. Off the street, the limit for PRK correction is +/- 8.00. (Don't ask me about 20/XX vision, because they limit it with the diopters)

Going back to the original poster who is looking for an enhancement because he's 20/30 post surgery: It sounds like it would be nice to have the enhancement, but keep in mind that it's not required, as you can be 20/40 without corrective lenses and be eligible for SNA. Unless of course there's some wierd stipulation that PRK applicants need 20/20, which would be strange.