Any Day at BUPERS

Discussion in 'War Zone' started by RadicalDude, Feb 29, 2012.

1. RadicalDude

RadicalDude Mayhem None

Saw this on a buddy's facebook. Pretty good and would've been funnier if the SWOs weren't actually facing their ridiculous manning issues.

2. Jim123

Jim123 molding (warping) the future of naval aviation None

"I have an aviator who mocks me. He calls me by my first name and is generally pleasant."

That's some good stuff right there.
  3. Gatordev

Gatordev Well-Known Member None

"We do not have jobs for the Ensigns we do have."

Sounds like any given day on a FFG.

Although like many of these, it does go on a bit too long.
  4. BackOrdered

BackOrdered Well-Known Member

How so? The satire is golden.
  5. NavyOffRec

NavyOffRec Well-Known Member

I was on a tour with some DV's and one of the ships we toured said the new Ensigns were sleeping in enlisted overflow berthing with the overflow enlisted guys.
  6. Flash

Flash SEVAL/ECMO None

Is SWO retention really hurting that bad? I am well aware of the horror stories but are they finally getting bitten in the ass by their shennanigans?
  7. Gatordev

That's pretty standard on a FFG. They don't actually sleep with the enlisted. Usually they're in a separate "compartment" which is just separated by a regular door...all of which is just part of the starboard P-way that's long been closed off.

But I can top that. During Haiti, there were two O-4s sleeping with 3 Chiefs in overflow, with the Ensigns in the forward compartment I mentioned. Ask me how I know...

Underwood.Overflow1.jpg Underwood.Overflow2.jpg
  8. NavyOffRec

NavyOffRec Well-Known Member

I believe the LT giving the tour mentioned the overflow was normally just a few of the new Ensigns but due to new check ins they had maxed out every bunk.

I have had to sleep in overflow a few times in my career, some were better than the actual berthing.
  9. BackOrdered

Quite a few buddies of mine are voting with their feet due to the SWO community climate. A free masters, SWOCP, career security in the bad economy, all not worth it to them.
  10. robav8r

robav8r . . . now, "officially" part of the problem. None

I have as well - agree !!!
  11. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Big veiny triumphant bastard None

It's been this way for a while...we were jammed up with Ensigns 12 years ago, for the same logic (it takes X Ensigns to make Y DH's...). Lots of inventing jobs (Asst DCA and ANAV on a frigate?) then, too.

I spent my first cruise berthing in what had previously been the CMC's office. It was not palatial.
  12. Gatordev

If it was something other than a FFG, that may have been true, but every FFG I've been underway on (I think I'm up to 4 now), there's been Ensigns of varying numbers down in that space that's in my picture (just forward of the chow line, next to the post office that's never open).

I would have preferred to be down in berthing with the rest of the det because it wouldn't have had one or two Ensigns that were incapable of closing a door quietly at all hours. But alas, they were full down there, too. The one good thing was that is was cooler there than up in O-country, but I think everywhere is cooler than O-country on a frigate.
  13. CAMike

CAMike Active Member None

Nice! I lived in the Inboard Lower rack for about three months when I first reported aboard in the mid 80's. Then had to move back in when staff came aboard (seniority). The only irritating thing was that the crew was instructed to go around but there were always a few that had to pass through anyway just to make their defiance statement of the day, usually slamming the last hatch or door depending on their direction. Thanks for posting the pics!
  14. BackOrdered

Tragic news, the video is now set to private :mad:
  15. zippy

zippy On to larger and worse things. None

Hmmm, someone at BUPERS with no balls? Say it ain't so...