• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft Carrier Made of Ice

Renegade One

None
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habbakuk

In the category of "wild ideas", anyone familiar with the British concept in WWII to build a 2000' foot-long aircraft carrier made of ice? Apparently both Churchill and Lord Mountbatten were big proponents, until D-Day rolled around and the idea became OBE. Was envisioned as 2 million ton aircraft carrier with a hull 40 feet thick—made of ice that could take a few Nazi torpedoes and survive. Long enough to launch multi-engined bombers. Was to be called HMS Habbakuk.

Might be an idea that will come back...addresses the heat ablation problems when JSFs land in the full-VTOL mode. After the recovery, just hose-in the melted divot, let it re-freeze, run the flight deck Zamboni over it and you're good to go!

Flight Deck Chief: "What are you doing there, shipmate?"

Sailor: "Just chillin', Chief!":)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

In the category of "wild ideas", anyone familiar with the British concept in WWII to build a 2000' foot-long aircraft carrier made of ice? Apparently both Churchill and Lord Mountbatten were big proponents, until D-Day rolled around and the idea became OBE. Was envisioned as 2 million ton aircraft carrier with a hull 40 feet thick—made of ice that could take a few Nazi torpedoes and survive. Long enough to launch multi-engined bombers. Was to be called HMS Habbakuk.

Might be an idea that will come back...addresses the heat ablation problems when JSFs land in the full-VTOL mode. After the recovery, just hose-in the melted divot, let it re-freeze, run the flight deck Zamboni over it and you're good to go!

Flight Deck Chief: "What are you doing there, shipmate?"

Sailor: "Just chillin', Chief!":)

Then the Iranians, Russians, Chinese, et al...will start pumping more fumes into the environment to speed up global warming...:) puts eco-terrorism on a new level. "Qweeeeekly!!! Qweeeeekly!!..morrrre prrrrroduction!!! The Yankee bastarrrrds are sailing this vayyyy! Ve vil MELT the Infidel." :eek:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

"And in other news today, disaster at sea aboard our new ice-based aircraft carrier. Apparently, a Coast Guard F-25 Super Hornet JSF melted through the flight deck and crashed into the hangar bay. Medical personnel were seen chipping off pieces of the ship to treat burns. Apparently, while conducting a vertical landing, the pilot tried to execute a highly dangerous maneuver known as a 'missed approach.' After the break we'll hear from our resident military expert known as Skeeterman, who accuses the Navy of negligence. He contends they shouldn't allow dangerous flight operations to be conducted in the obsolete fashion of having pilots actually sitting in the cockpit, instead of safe onboard ship at computer terminals."

Yankee Uniform Tango
attachment.php

Apparently the US Navy considered having one in time for the invasion of Japan, as pykrete would've practically made it impervious to kamikaze attacks.

Attachments

• SF28.jpg
    SF28.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 502

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I'm sure the brass will never allow the enlisted to drive the zamboni but we'll have to clean and service it.

I'll be damned if I ever see Marines playing hockey though.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
That's because dipping and skating/checking do not mix well. That's my personal testament. :sick_125:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That's because dipping and skating/checking do not mix well. That's my personal testament. :sick_125:

Ha, tell that to my hockey referee buddies. Probably the worst dippers I have ever seen.

It isn't uncommon in the Jr. A/Minor Pro Circuit to have a guy "forget" to take his dip out after an intermission and take the ice with a big freaking lipper. :eek:

We had some guys take the "gallon challenge" whereas they see who can be the first to fill a gallon milk jug with the leftovers... Those guys weren't very popular after the first day...

Oh, and sorry about the % thing... Apparently I didn't get the memo... :(