• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air force ROTC vs. Naval ROTC

aszane

Im currently a junior in high school and looking into an ROTC program. My grades are in the top 10% of my class so im not worried about the academic skills needed to become a pilot exactly. Ultimately, my goal is to become some sort of pilot in either the navy or air force. If anyone can list the advantages/ disadvantages to the two different ROTC programs as well as the differences in flight training and the differences between the deployments of both branches? I was also wondering if I do not need the ROTC scholarship to attend college, should i still join for the experience? Has anyone had or heard of a bad ROTC experience?

djj34

pilot
Super re-post, and I know that you asked about ROTC but this may help you either way.

22 December 2005
Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask ourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black Shoes (surface warfare) and Bubble Heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

P.S.: Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

P.S.S. And oh yes, the Army pilot program, don't even think about it unless you got a pair bigger than basketballs. Those guys are completely crazy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
aszane,

Since I doubt anyone on this board has attended both Navy and Air Force ROTC, both Navy and Air Force flight training (well maybe with Vance primary) or completed both Navy and Air Force deployments; it would be rather hard to give you a comparison without doing the a lot of research. Since officers are supposed to have initiative and since you are the one wanting to be an officer, I suggest you do the research and then come back with specific questions instead of generalities.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Im currently a junior in high school and looking into an ROTC program. My grades are in the top 10% of my class so im not worried about the academic skills needed to become a pilot exactly. Ultimately, my goal is to become some sort of pilot in either the navy or air force. If anyone can list the advantages/ disadvantages to the two different ROTC programs as well as the differences in flight training and the differences between the deployments of both branches? I was also wondering if I do not need the ROTC scholarship to attend college, should i still join for the experience? Has anyone had or heard of a bad ROTC experience?

I don't understand this question. Are you asking if you should forego ROTC altogether? In order to become an officer you must graduate from either an ROTC program, OCS/OTS, or a service academy; so unless you already know you want to do OCS/OTS or want to go to one of the academies, ROTC is your only other option.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Have you considered stopping by your local university and checking out both of them?

This would also give you a chance to talk to some people face to face and maybe get an idea of which service would be a better fit for you.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I don't understand this question. Are you asking if you should forego ROTC altogether? In order to become an officer you must graduate from either an ROTC program, OCS/OTS, or a service academy; so unless you already know you want to do OCS/OTS or want to go to one of the academies, ROTC is your only other option.

I think he's asking about joining ROTC for the ROTC 'experience'.

ajohn921

pilot
None
I think the biggest question you have to answer is what branch would you be most happy in if you DONT get selected for pilot. You may have the best grades and be in the top of your class, but ultimately it comes down to what the branch needs at the time of your commissioning. If the Navy doesnt need pilots, but really needs submariners, congratulations, your going to Nuclear Power School! Maybe the Air Force needs intelligence guys instead of pilots that year. Do some research and see which branch has a lifestyle and career you could enjoy if aviation doesnt work out.

As with everything else in the world, there are good experiences and bad experiences. ROTC may suck, but it may be the best decision of your life. As mentioned above, you have to come from ROTC, OCS or an academy to get a commission. Again, do some research and decide which route best fits your lifestyle and can best prepare you for your future goals.

aszane

Thats why i created a username and started posting to this blog-- for research. i just went and visited duke and spoke to the nrotc recruiting officer but he didnt tell me everything i want to know and neither does the navy rotc website. getting replies from people who have first hand experience is what im looking for

cameron172

pilot
Has anyone had or heard of a bad ROTC experience?

As with anything in life, it is what you make of it. Those in my unit who decide they're having a "bad" experience usually drop from the program and shouldn't wear bars on their shoulders anyway.

A lot of people join and few commission. Nothing against these people, it's just not for them.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thats why i created a username and started posting to this blog-- for research. i just went and visited duke and spoke to the nrotc recruiting officer but he didnt tell me everything i want to know and neither does the navy rotc website. getting replies from people who have first hand experience is what im looking for

There is a lot of good info if you search previous threads on the topic. I'd also check out baseops.org if you want a good perspective of the AF side of the house....many of those guys are in the AFROTC program as well.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
AFROTC at my school carried cushioned mats with them during PT in case they had to do pushups or situps...

I'm just saying...