• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force ROTC or Navy ROTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saladin

Hey everyone,

After hearing all the depressing news of late, I've been considering some options for myself when it comes to becoming an officer. As OCS has become really competitive, I'm considering doing Air Force ROTC at UNT, my current school. I have one year left here, and they'll let me start as a "sophomore," then continue on to grad school and get my MBA while doing AFROTC. So, by the time I'm 25, I'll have my Bachelor's, Master's, and an Air Force commission in Intelligence. The flipside to this is that since all the ROTC programs require 2 years, I could go do my Master's at a Navy ROTC school (which UNT is not) and get my Navy commission, though apparently not in Intel, which is OCS only I here.

Disadvantages of Air Force Option:
-Air Force commission, instead of Navy, which I've had my eyes on.

Advantages of Air Force Option:
-School will be paid for a year longer, equalling $6,600.
-Intelligence slots available out of AFROTC.
-Starting immediately.

Disadvantages of Navy Option:
-One year without school being paid for.
-No Intel commission direct from NROTC.
-Have to wait to start for one year more.

Advantages of Navy Option:
-First choice in the services for me.

Is there anything I'm missing guys? The key thing about both is that I can do either at several schools, including local D/FW schools & UT-Austin. Give me some advice if you got some time, it's a big decision and I want to get it right. Thanks! :)

ghost_ttu

I think do what makes you happy and what you feel a tug in yourself to do. If you truly want navy, then the money shouldn't have anything to do with it. I have zero knowledge on this, but I have a hard time believing that there are zero intel slots for ROTC guys in the Navy. But you are going to have regrets in the Navy, you will have regrets in the Air Force (don't tell me EVERY day is going to be sunshine, that doesn't happen in ANY job) but if you are in the AF you are going to have bad days but I think you'll have a lot of "I wish I were in the Navy" days. Perhaps I'm wrong, but do what makes you happy.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
That is correct regarding no intel billets from NROTC. Midshipmen only go into unrestricted line communities now-a-days.

I've heard of people getting graduate degrees in AFROTC, but I don't THINK that's an option for NROTC. I'm not positive, but I would be surprised if you could do that. Let me know if I'm wrong. Good Luck!!

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

jrklr

I wouldn't give up on Navy OCS just yet. Just because people say they've been getting rejected recently does not mean that that's going to be how it is next month, or next week for that matter. If OCS is the path you want to take, put your effort into submiting an application, no matter what people say they hear from their recruiter about "availability" and "competitiveness". If you do want to go ROTC though (not a bad choice I might add), I say GO NAVY!!!

Meridiani

Saladin,

There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes. Go for Navy. Apply to OCS. If you're rejected, apply again. That's my 2 cents.

aslam

One thing I know for sure. I've even had Navy (active & retired) tell me that the quality of life in the AF is much better. Somebody once told me the AF in general spends too much money on the people and not enough on the equipment and traning while in general the Navy spends too much on equipment and training and not enough on it's people. If that makes sense...

The AF showed no interest in having me fly for them, so it was an easy decision for me regardless. Go Navy!

ASLAM.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by aslam...the AF in general spends too much money on the people and not enough on the equipment and traning while in general the Navy spends too much on equipment and training and not enough on it's people.
Kind of an oversimplification, but it is true that the consensus holds that AF quality of life is better.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

JGalus

Sure the Air Farce may have a better quality of life, but who in the world would want to walk around dressed like a Greyhound bus driver in that nasty blue uniform???

Jamie
BDCP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

LadyJayUSN

Saladin,

Ok, let me clear up some bad gouge you've gotten about NROTC, and we'll start from there.

First of all, you can't start NROTC in your last year of school, heck it is really hard to start the program in your second year, but it can be done. The reason behind this is that NROTC requires its participants to attend a naval science class every semester, plus you have to complete Calc 1 and 2, as well as Physics 1 and 2 for engineers prior to graduation. As an NROTC midshipman you are also required to complete several short summer cruises during your summer breaks.

Allow me to reiterate what Grandmaster pointed out, INTEL is a restricted line billet (much like dentists, doctors, supply officers), and midshipman are billet into the UNrestricted line communities (SWO, Pilot, SEAL, Nuke).

I am excited by the fact that the Navy is your primary interest. The Navy offers a whole slew of Master degree programs where they can commision you, then send you to Newport, Rhode Island for Officer Indoctrination School to learn the basics in about 6-8 weeks. After that, they send you back to school on your O-whatever pay and once you've completed your masters your are obligated to the Navy for however long.

My gouge on these programs are based off second hand word of mouth, so you can take it for what it is worth, or find an officer recruiter and ask him. In my opinion, the Navy has much more to offer and I think you can find what you're are looking for both career and school.

Besides that, you never see any real cool movies about Air Force guys do you....no.

And we have sexier uniforms.......

ghost_ttu

I'm hoping it's the attitude
icon_smile_wink.gif

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt....Didn't say it always works though"

ghost_ttu

whew, good thing I don't have one of them.....

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt....Didn't say it always works though"

Status
Not open for further replies.