• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Abysmal Vision, what are my options?

OdeToArsenal47

Hi, I would first like to say that I am extremely interested in flying for the Navy. While I would be happy with the AF, the Army, or the Marines, I would be most excited to be an aviator for the Navy. I just think that I fit perfectly with the Navy.

Now, I've read around a lot, and I know that I would be 100% happy with being an NFO or an Aviator. With that said, I have one roadblock: My vision. I have 20/200 vision with Astigmatism. Barring my vision, I have no other health problems, just the vision. I'm not sure on whether or not I'm a good candidate for PRK, or if I would get a waiver. That leads me to my questions:

1: How hard would it be to become an Aviator/NFO through NROTC with this bad of vision? If my vision was corrected, and I was a great candidate otherwise, would I have a chance?

2. Same question as above, but with OCS.

Do I have any hope?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it correctable to 20/20 with corrective lenses?

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
^ Doesn't natural eyesight have to be better than 20/40 without correction/pre-correction or its a no-go?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi, I would first like to say that I am extremely interested in flying for the Navy. While I would be happy with the AF, the Army, or the Marines, I would be most excited to be an aviator for the Navy. I just think that I fit perfectly with the Navy.

Now, I've read around a lot, and I know that I would be 100% happy with being an NFO or an Aviator. With that said, I have one roadblock: My vision. I have 20/200 vision with Astigmatism. Barring my vision, I have no other health problems, just the vision. I'm not sure on whether or not I'm a good candidate for PRK, or if I would get a waiver. That leads me to my questions:

1: How hard would it be to become an Aviator/NFO through NROTC with this bad of vision? If my vision was corrected, and I was a great candidate otherwise, would I have a chance?

2. Same question as above, but with OCS.

Do I have any hope?

Preface: I don't know the standards for Astigmatism for SNA/SNFO, but....

Dude, you've got options. 20/200 isn't abysmal.....I had 20/450 right and 20/400 left and got PRK. My left eye corrected to 20/20 and my right to 20/25....now I've got wings. PRK can do wonders and get you eligible to be an SNA. It think the vision you have right now qualifies for SNFO, but I can't speak to the Astigmatism part. If your serious about PRK, got a consult and the doc will explain your options.

PRK didn't get me all the way back to 20/20 and I do wear corrective lenses to flight (just for my right eye), but it still worked out.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
So, did you just get a waiver, and they passed it through? Also, did you do OCS or NROTC?

I was NROTC and had my PRK approved via waiver. I'm not sure of the OCS and PRK process, but it's a common thing for NROTC. Just gotta ask and do everything in the correct order!

OdeToArsenal47

Okay. That was the only burning question I had. Just curious, because I didn't immediately see a thread elsewhere, how do you get selected for a Pilot slot?

nugget81

pilot
I was NROTC and had my PRK approved via waiver. I'm not sure of the OCS and PRK process, but it's a common thing for NROTC. Just gotta ask and do everything in the correct order!

It's not a big deal for OCS either. I'm in the same boat as NozeMan (had PRK, but still wear corrective lenses.) You need to have the surgery and all that healing jazz done before you'll get a pro-rec or final select notice.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Well yeah, but if you get selected for NROTC and specify you want to become a pilot, you're locked in?

The selection for Pilot via NROTC is covered EXTENSIVELY in the NROTC portion of the forum. You have to earn it. The selection goes down your senior year and you find out usually at the beginning of the spring semester (for spring grads).

srqwho

pilot
Yeah, I know this is a bit later, but I have another quick question. When you need PRK, when should you get it?

As soon as you can afford it. Lets face it, wearing contacts all day everyday kinda sucks... especially when you rely on them to do everything. Even if you decide not to apply for OCS as a pilot or whatever, this surgery has been such an awesome investment. I got in in Jan and had horrible vision... something in the 20/400's in both eyes. I now am 20/15 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left and am still healing. I forget the wait times exactly, but some people have to wait 3 months post-op before going to MEPS and some have to wait 6 months. The wait depends on how bad your vision was pre-op. Make sure you do some research before hand and make sure you do not get LASIK. PRK and LASEK are the only surgeries right now that are waiverable. I guess the talk is that LASIK will be a go soon for applicants, but don't chance it. And there are numerous threads about vision here and PRK specifically. Good Luck.