• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A year long journey in the US Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZSkegee

Well I graduated college with a BS in Management Science, gpa around 2.5+ finished college with high gpa's for last two semesters and made deans list. Ive' taken the ASTB 3 times as a civilian, always coming a few points short of the min requirement (sleepness nights before the test not focusing on the test and placing enormous pressure on myself) Well a Master Chief recommended that I enlist and also i would recieve a bonus : ) for having a college degree. After a few months of debating I enlisted on headed for boot camp 19 Jun 02. Took leadership roles in boot camp and at A school my best friend from boot camp was given a chance to go to OCS after A school (HOORAHH SHIPMATE ) I took the ASTB test for a forth time and out of this time of all times I stood a 6 hour watch and studied for my A school course and made 46 OAR 6 FAR 5 PBI, WOW i was happy. I picked up 3rd in A school. I checked on board my ship (can't place on 3rd untill 4 months on board -life as an airman lol) and in a few weeks going to meet my Officer board then my package will be sent to Millington for Yea or Nea. I share this with you to give you hope an aspire to never give up in what you desire. Life as enlisted has brought forth many vaulable lessons and wasnt all that bad. I wish everyone good luck and also remember this being an Officer is a Privilege. If I make it or not it doesnt matter I worked hard in what I believed in and proud to serve in the military.
p.s. I am also going for my masters, + I have the MGIB which last time I checked pays for flight school-keep that in mind shipmates, Have a fine Navy Day

Rayman

AZSkegee,
Did you get your CO's endorsement? How long did it take (months) until you were given the endorsement? What "A" School did you attend and how many months? Sorry for the questions. Good luck on your application.

rayman

AZSkegee

Well I am currently waiting for my Officer board. It opted for the option of having all three officers interview me at one time. So in about a week or so I should have the board done and the CO's rec also finished. It is very important to do good on your board because the officers opinion of you is also going to be the first opinon of you to the CO and your designator selection board at Tenn. I attended "A" school in Meridian Mississippi (very fun to see those SNA's fly over your head while you march to class) Also It was fun to train and pt with the Marines and SSGT was a great teacher, Hoorah AZ's

AZSkegee

My Officer Board was a vaulable learning experience. Im glad I had it and glad it was tough, "it builds character" as SSGT would say. They hammered me on my transcripts and why Ive taken this one class 4 times, lol math 107, but the crazy thing I made a B in calculus on my first attempt, go figure. But after the 5 mins q/a session (you know the lamp in the face 1000 mile stare routine lol) the interview went smoother and everytime I see the commander we share a laugh, my package is in millington right now, also for you enlisted folks, have a copy of your birth cirt, 3 evals, and make sure the prt and command security manager signs their blocks. I learned the hard way after coming off duty preparing to take leave for this holiday weekend, walked all around CVN?? getting lost in spaces trying to find people, That shoudlve counted as a working day then, Good Luck to everyone (Also Who cares if the navy only has 1 slot open, Dont you think your good enough to get it, Have hope and believe in yourselves and never give up) peace God Bless

dskeeters30

I've also recently applied as SNA but with no success. My scores were highly similar to your best scores and I scored 100 on all 3 sections of the PRT. Unfortunately, I had a traffic mishap the night of my college graduation party. After a year, I spoke with my recruiter and have chosen to enlist as AW/SAR-swimmer. I'm hoping this will show the OCS board members that I have matured and can accept the responsibilities of being an officer and SNA. Do you have any advice or words of encouragement that you can offer?

AZSkegee

Once you go enlisted do things to set yourself apart from civilians and other enlisted competition, if you had bad grades or mistakes do graduate work , and be the best in your class at A school, try to recieve letters of commendation also and be yourself at your officer board, also also also also being in the military has been fun, BUT YOU WILL HAVE THOSE DAYS remember your overall goal Naval Officer and dont get caught in the trap of people cursing the navy for things that happened to them, Also pick a rate that you enjoy and also lets you work with pilots, Im in the brown shoe side of the navy, and it will help you, so work hard and show the navy that you are officer material and be a leader, dont just say it do it, in performance

mikedjp

AZSKegee.....so did you get picked up for OCS?? I'm following your story closely as I'm about to enlist as well. I'm considering enlisting in both the Navy and the AF.

AZSkegee

Im still awaiting word mikedjp, when do you plan on enlisting? what designator for OCS are you interested in applying towards?

mikedjp

Actually I went to MEPS last week for the AF, but I did not swear in yet. I have to go back after I get a waiver for a speeding ticket I got in high school that I didn't write down on my paperwork but I did tell the recruiter about. My recruiter told me not to write it down cause neither one of us could find a record of it anywhere..it was 10 years ago! Nevertheless, there is a chance I won't get into the AF even as enlisted because of that. I'm beginning to wonder if I even want to be in the AF instead of the Navy.

If go Navy I'll get a much bigger enlistment bonus and probably have a better shot at OCS. I'm going to apply for pilot and nav. for AF OTS if I take that route. If I go Navy, which is still a possibility, I'm going to apply for SNA, NFO, and Crypto.

I decided to go enlisted AF because they have lot's of enlisted Aircrew jobs, and I want to fly. I'm not sure how bad I want to go to sea.

-mike

AZSkegee

Well Mikedjp, I was in the same situation as you my friend. Recruiter told me to leave something out, then to behold me at MEPS they start asking questions but everything worked out for the better. So dont worry about your waiver. Each branch has its own perks I guess, so make a decision that best fits your personal goals. The Airforce was once an option for me both officer and enlisted, but (to be a pilot there you had to have a million flight hours and 8.0 gpa) There is nothing wrong with that our military wants the best pilots. But while I was in A school in NAS ?????, I was talking with a SNA about approach charts and different types of ADF for approaches to the airfield. My point in that short story is to never give up and never listion to other peoples prejudgements of you. If you want to know more about navy life just let me know, its not all bad as they say.

Kevincjr1

AZSkegee,
What's up, My name is Kevin and I found it really ironic that I graduated from 'Skegee as well...May 11th 2003. I am an Aerospace Engineering Graduate. I hope everything works out for you. Just keep your faith up and continue to believe that everything will fall in place. That's what I did and things worked out.
Kevin

AZSkegee

Good to see you on the forum Kevin, did you know Archie he also was Aerospace Eng. Are you in the Navy or soon to be going. It sure is great to see some golden tigers on here, peace

Status
Not open for further replies.