• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A "cached" search function?

C-Mike

Is it possible to enhance the search function capabilities of AW? When searching, a great number of results are often returned for a given search criteria, however it takes quite a bit of labor to sift through them. Despite the advanced search functions, and selecting to display posts instead of threads, it still isn't very precise.

Is there any way to create a cached type search function that would display and highlight within the results any hits for a given search criteria? This could potentially make life easier for everyone and cut down on the number of reposts that occur.

Good idea, bad idea??

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Is it possible to enhance the search function capabilities of AW? When searching, a great number of results are often returned for a given search criteria, however it takes quite a bit of labor to sift through them. Despite the advanced search functions, and selecting to display posts instead of threads, it still isn't very precise.

Is there any way to create a cached type search function that would display and highlight within the results any hits for a given search criteria? This could potentially make life easier for everyone and cut down on the number of reposts that occur.

Good idea, bad idea??

If it is possible, and feaseable, I think this is a good idea.

Considering how often the collective suggests "a search," it might be a good idea to try and upgrade it. As it stands, it is a very finicky beast, if not downright difficult to search on.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
If it is possible, and feaseable, I think this is a good idea.

Considering how often the collective suggests "a search," it might be a good idea to try and upgrade it. As it stands, it is a very finicky beast, if not downright difficult to search on.

Perhaps we could get an integrated Google search for the site.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Perhaps we could get an integrated Google search for the site.

That's also an issue: anyone who tries to search on that thing treats it like google instead of a keyword engine. And if you don't have the right knowledges (it rejects a lot of acronyms), a keyword search can run you in endless circles.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I have often (in the past) been barraged with "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!" and I don't seem to be very successful with it, while someone else will post a previous thread that I could not find for the life of me. I vote to improve the search function as well.​

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have often (in the past) been barraged with "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!" and I don't seem to be very successful with it, while someone else will post a previous thread that I could not find for the life of me. I vote to improve the search function as well.​

One of your problems could be that you don't know how to conduct a search properly. Many search engines aren't as intuitive as we'd like, partly because of the way they need to be programmed, and partly because of the fact that many programmers lack considerable skills when it comes to human interaction with a computer. If you're having trouble using the search, I advise you to look for a document that will teach you HOW to search. Also, don't forget about the Advanced search, which will help you narrow your search down.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I wouldn't say I have a CS's knowledge of computer programming, but I thought I was thoroughly capable of searching for stuff. I typically start with generic keywords, then try to narrow it down by using the +, - or "" functions to get exact keyword or exact phrase results. I'll see if I can find a document to teach me how to search. Most of the time when people yell at us to search for something, I either can't find it or it doesnt answer the exact question I am asking. I would advise people to be a little understanding before screaming at someone to search for something.

One of your problems could be that you don't know how to conduct a search properly. Many search engines aren't as intuitive as we'd like, partly because of the way they need to be programmed, and partly because of the fact that many programmers lack considerable skills when it comes to human interaction with a computer. If you're having trouble using the search, I advise you to look for a document that will teach you HOW to search. Also, don't forget about the Advanced search, which will help you narrow your search down.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't say I have a CS's knowledge of computer programming, but I thought I was thoroughly capable of searching for stuff. I typically start with generic keywords, then try to narrow it down by using the +, - or "" functions to get exact keyword or exact phrase results. I'll see if I can find a document to teach me how to search.

Seems like you have somewhat of a clue then. Don't take what I said to mean you don't know what you're doing. Some search engines are just different than others. Definitely don't discount the Advanced features though, they can really help you find that topic you're looking for.

Most of the time when people yell at us to search for something, I either can't find it or it doesnt answer the exact question I am asking. I would advise people to be a little understanding before screaming at someone to search for something.

If you do a search and you're just not finding something or your question just isn't answered by what you found, preface your post with that. You may avoid a lot of "Try a search" comments. Now, if someone comes back with 15 different threads discussing exactly what you are asking about, then you didn't try hard enough :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it would be a great idea if Web-san has the time to implement it. BTW, can someone stick this so that Fly's sage searching advice can be preserved for the noobs?

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
If you do a search on "Iraq"or any other keyword, it will show all the threads with "Iraq" mentioned. Click on any given thread, this will open it. From there, any time the word "Iraq" appears, it will be in RED. What's the problem? Isn't that what "cached" means?

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
If you want to use Google to look for something specifically on Airwarriors, you can type (in Google) [site:airwarriors.com "stuff to search"] and this does a Google search on just pages in the airwarriors.com domain. I've found that this is a more user-friendly option than the search function on the website, and it provides more results from similar searches.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Just as a thought...could we perhaps utilize the FAQ section or required reading to sticky some of the "Top 10". I mean if we had one forum that you had to read before you could post with topics like "How to study for the ASTB, PRK, and the all time great, What % get jets..." it would seem like we could cut down alot of the repeats and the "Use the search" posts. Use it like a virtual read and initial board.

Thoughts?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If you do a search on "Iraq"or any other keyword, it will show all the threads with "Iraq" mentioned. Click on any given thread, this will open it. From there, any time the word "Iraq" appears, it will be in RED. What's the problem? Isn't that what "cached" means?

In my humble experience the problem is that it will provide too many results that you have to look through each one.

For example this search:
PRK Halo

Will return every single thread with both words in it. Most of these posts are just about PRK, some are about the video game Halo, and very few are about Halo's after getting PRK surgery.

Just my experience.