• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

6.5 Grendel ... on an AR platform ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm thinking about jumping on one of these ... 'cept I have NO EXPERIENCE W/ THE 6.5 GRENDEL cartridge .... as in: NONE .... anyone ??? Anyone ??? Beuhler ???

Supposedly superior to the .308 ... ???

Thanks in advance ...

[FONT=&quot]
12.jpg

[/FONT]

ryan1234

I'm also deciding which upper to get... 6.8 or 6.5
.... with no experience...

the 6.5 ballistics seem great

but I kinda wonder how they feed because of its weird shape?

at 20/$20... def a reloading possible sorta round

MasterBates

6.5 has better ballistics, but IIRC it's a "proprietary" cartridge, and reloading dies and ammo are not cheap.

6.8 is closer to a "mass produced standard"

I'm leaning towards 6.5 as a balls to the walls long range "hunting rifle"..

6.8 would make a better CQB with some oomph approaching 308 gun

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

20/$20 or more, apparently .... and it's very, VERY hard to get. That's what she said, I believe ...

It's put out there are 'the world's best assault rifle cartridge' ... but if you can't get it ... ??? What good is it ... ???

I think I'll move along ... as much as I like the company & the rifle concept ...

UNLESS ... Buehler??? Buehler???

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
6.5 has better ballistics, but IIRC it's a "proprietary" cartridge, and reloading dies and ammo are not cheap.

6.8 is closer to a "mass produced standard"

I'm leaning towards 6.5 as a balls to the walls long range "hunting rifle"..

6.8 would make a better CQB with some oomph approaching 308 gun

MB nails this one on all counts.

I own 3 6.8 SPC AR's and in my mind the 6.8 makes the AR everything it should have been the first time. I'm biased. My favorite AR of all time sports a 16" light weight barrel chambered in 6.8 SPC.

There is reams of info on the interwebs going back several years, debating 6.5 vs 6.8

IMHO from a pure performance standpoint if you are looking for a true long range round (500m and out) go with the 6.5. If you want steller performance from 300-400m and in or CQB the 6.8 SPC wins. If you are considering a SBR the 6.8 SPC is your choice. A 12" SBR in 6.8 SPC may be the ultimate CQB AR.

I picked 6.8 over 6.5 because I don't shoot anything beyond 300m and I love it's CQB potential. It's also a great round for deer, hogs etc. (As is the 6.5) I've seen first hand what it will do to a 200lb feral hog and it's impressive.

I also don't like the fact that Alexander arms holds the rights to EVERYTHING 6.5. If you want to play with it you either have to buy or license it from Bill Alexander. This has really slowed developement of the 6.5 Grendel. In comparison every major AR manufacturer except Colt offers weapons in 6.8. The 6.5? Not so much.

Plus and most importantly the round just LOOKS right. I know you guys get that. The 6.8 just looks like a combat round.

threecartridges.jpg

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor

Of course you can fire either round from your favorite AR lower. Just slap on a 6.5 or 6.8 upper and change mags. Recoil from either round is not significantly different than with 5.56. That means to me that you can train with less expensive 5.56 ammo and confidently make your CQB money shots with 6.5/6.8.

Win win.

Good 6.8 info below and sources for uppers etc

http://www.68forums.com/forums/index.php

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info, guys ... I did not know that the 6.5 was proprietary to Alexander ... I suppose something should have rung a bell when all the ammo and reloading supplies (limited as they are) came in a box marked: 'Alexander' ...

I think I'll stick w/ the 5.56 and 6.8 for now and in the immediate future ... the 6.5, while 'interesting', might be just a little too esoteric and 'designer cartridge-ish' for my tastes and likes ...

ありがとう。

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'll take your 6.8 and raise you 50.

If that rifle does not peg your "badass" meter....nothing will.

Yea I'd love to own somebodies .50 AR. RRA makes one using the .458 SOCOM round that sounds pretty neat too. (can use the same bullets as a 45/70)

Wish I was a reloader.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you shooting someone in the head or chest from across the room with a 5.56, they usually die. Then the round goes across the street and hits your neighbor's wife in the head while she's sleeping. Unlike a shotgun. A 5.56 CQB platform is much more flexible than a shotgun.
Fixed that for you. Apparently the MC did some testing re: ammo penetration awhile back. Watch the first part.

Better hope the neighbor has a brick or cinderblock construction to their home. The standard plywood-and-vinyl-siding ain't gonna do much, it seems. Granted, hollowpoint ammo may change this significantly, but I wouldn't trust 5.56 for home defense unless I lived on my own ranch.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I was just going to say I'd like to see the same tests with hollow point rounds... That's the only thing i'd be using for home defense anyhow.

Bevo16

pilot
It's already been hit on, but the missing part of the equation is ammo. Results in those tests are going to be dramatically different with 55gr FMG or 65gr penetrator ammo that it will be for ammo that is designed for personal defense.

Ammo that is designed for military use (and complies with Geneva requirements) is going to perform totally different than Hornady TAP or any number of other quality home defense ammo.

Just like the 9mm vs. .45ACP ammo for "stopping power". Does a .45FMJ have more stopping power than a .9mm FMJ? Obviously, the .45 weighs twice as much. Does a .45FMJ have more stopping power than a 9mm personal defense round? Probably not. The 9mm is going to expand more, is going to transfer more energy, and is going to rip things all to hell. Not only that, but you can only kill someone once, and a single 9mm personal defense round in center mass is going to end your problem.