• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

4 Bed/2 Bath Home in Norfolk. Pet Friendly, Historical Neighborhood. Will be available Summer/Fall.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Hey everyone. I've got a 4 bed/2 1/2 bath, three story single-family home in Norfolk I just bought in February I'll be renting out this summer or fall. I'm going to let fellow-aviators take a look at it before I put it on the market in a month or two.

Description :

15 mins from NS Norfolk, 30 to Oceana/VA Beach

Built 1918 - Complete Rehabilitation summer 2011.
2200 SqFt with office/loft-style space upstairs and unfinished basement.
Brand new appliances, drywall, roof, electrical, plumbing, the works.
- Fridge, 2 HVACs, Oven/Stove, Microwave, etc... and washer/dryer included.
- Granite Countertops
- Laminate floors on the first floor, carpet on 2nd and 3rd.
- Fully-functional original fireplace

Historical, quiet family-friendly neighborhood of Colonial Place
- Close to downtown Norfolk, right off Granby Street
- People are always walking their dogs outside, with dog park within walking distance.
- Kids play outside a lot, nearby playground.
- Marina nearby, few blocks from water, and not in a flood-zone.

Large fenced-in yard with a small deck perfect for dogs and kids.
Spacious front-porch perfect for relaxing outside.
Mostly military and long-term civilian neighbors with very little noise.

ADT Alarm system with motion and remote control included.

One-car Drive-way with Street Parking

$2000 p/mo negotiable.
-I have some furniture that can stay if need-be. I don't need to take everything to Guam.

I'm heading to Guam after the FRS, and would much rather deal one-on-one with a military tenant than deal with a property manager. My wife and I are very flexible with discussing options with our potential tenants, so any question or request is appreciated. I'll be posting pics soon.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Thanks!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You want a property manager, especially since you're going to Guam. PM me if you want more details as to why.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I don't know the specifics of squorchs story, but get yourself a good property manager. It will make things easier for you and your tenants.

phrogpilot73

I don't know the specifics of squorchs story, but get yourself a good property manager. It will make things easier for you and your tenants.
Without knowing squorch's story, I can say that even if you HAVE a property manager in this area - you can still end up f'd. PSW had a property manager for a long term rental down here, when we PCS'd down here we were notified by our long term renters that they could no longer afford the rent and were vacating. Throw in that we couldn't sell our house in MD, and didn't have a renter lined up - and that's why we're living in a house she bought as a JG (although we're banking tons of money).

Even though we had a property manager, we had to replace ALL the flooring in the house, the alarm system, the thermostat, all the switchplates, etc... Why? Because they smoked and deep fried everything they ate. Even though the lease was "no smoking". And the property manager gave them their full security deposit.

One of PSW's coworkers is living in a rental, and it took WEEKS for her to get in touch with them to point out that there was a rat infestation. So bad, that the rats have eaten through the ducting for the heat/AC.

So yeah, down here you need one - and you need a good one.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The specifics include having to coordinate 3 schedules (mine, tenant's, repair people) when things went wrong - which, inevitably, they will, plus dealing with insurance folks is again not worth your time. Having a (good) property manager is essential.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I'll definitely be reconsidering if that's everyone's experience with renting. The buying agent who helped me find the place is where I'll start looking, but if anyone has recommendations for who to contact, I'd be more than willing to explore other options.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
My property manager in VB has done well by me. He managed to rent my place and a friend I recommended within one week on the market. He doesn't manage a ton of properties so he is fairly quick to handle issues and return phone calls. His company is Suburban Realty, PM if you would be interested in his contact info.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Bumping since there's some updated info.

The house will likely be available September 1, and if not then, October 1. We will be working through Nancy Chandler Realty, who handled our purchase of the house. They are a great company to work with as a buyer, so I expect they'll treat tenants well. The property manager seems like a good fit, and she understands that we want our tenants to feel welcome. The neighborhood has a very large number of military, mostly officers and retired.

After having lived here since February, I can see the house handles the storms and flooding well. We live a three blocks from the Lafayette River. Norfolk floods easily, and Colonial Place is right on the water. However, the house is high enough up that although the street floods, the water level never rises to the driveway or the steps leading into the house. We weren't required to buy flood insurance, and now I see that it isn't necessary for this part of the neighborhood. Never had water in the basement, let alone in the house.

Segmented gutters with leaf protection were just installed last week, and we have done some landscaping to improve the front yard and garden. Ivy is growing up the columns and is starting to fill nicely.

If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to post here or PM me. I plan on moving out to Guam by late August or September, so if anyone knows someone moving up this way soon, feel free to point them my way.