• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

05 January 2002 OCS Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNA Russell

Magnum - Forgive me for copying your idea, but I think it applies in this case as well.

Anybody who is going to OCS on 05 JAN, sound off here. I think it will be cool to show up at OCS with a little "support group" thing already happening.

Michaela, Trey, you guys still out there?

Rory

ngtippit

Still here, Rory. I just got your email and will get one right back out to you. Looks like we got a few 05 Jan's here.

Edited by - ngtippit on 10/14/2001 22:23:16

KyleP

WOW! Well I'm new to the forum but I have been reading the posts once and a while and I have found great info! Thanks. I just got off the phone with my recruiter and found out that I will be going to OCS on Jan. 5th. I can't believe how everthing is coming together!
Kyle

SNA Russell

KyleP,

Nice to meet you. You're the third person I've met from the Forum who will be in the 05 January class. Congrats.

Rory

KyleP

Right on, well we will have to get to know each ohter better or something before we ship off to OCS. I have a friend that graduated OCS back in August and is starting API soon, I guess. I havn't been able to get a hold of him yet. He sent me some gouge on what I should bring to OCS, better than the list they (recruiter) give you.

Kyle

SNA Russell

Kyle: Can you send me the gouge your friend sent you? I'd like to take a look at it. Thanks.

Dave: I'd like to get to OCS ASAP, especially after the events of September 11. However, I don't graduate until December 20. So, unfortuantely I have to wait.

-Rory

Kyle McWhirter

This is my first post since OCS. I graduated in August and will say one thing about the gouge. Everyone at OCS knows this phrase. Live by the gouge, die by the gouge. Just be careful as to what you bring...Candie O's love contraband! If anyone has questions, feel free to email me.

nfokyle@hotmail.com

-Kyle

KyleP

Ok Russell and to those who is interested. Here is the gouge my friend sent me about two weeks after he graduated from OCS (Aug. 2001)

“Try to consolidate everything in your shower roll so you can quickly access only what is important. You will be allowed about 10 min every morning and evening to shower, which is to say for 10 minutes 45+ candidates are trying to share 15 showers. In my indoc shower roll I had a bar of soap in the case, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a safety razor. You will not need shampoo come Tuesday because you have no hair to wash.

Memorize everything below verbatim except the chain of command, as you do not know each individuals names. Do familiarize your self with the chain of command structure.

Anchors Aweigh
The Marines’ Hymn
Chain of command
Code of Conduct
General Orders of a Sentry
Phonetic Alphabet

The songs you will need to know as quickly as possible. The knowledge of chain of command, code of conduct, general orders of a sentry, officer rank structure (USN, USMC), enlisted rank structure (USN, USMC), breast insignia/sleeve devices, Naval mission, warfare, and phonetic alphabet. You must know for the 4th 6th and 9th week inspections. The knowledge of Navy Weapon Systems, Naval Aircraft, and Ships of the U.S. Fleet. you need to know on the 9th week inspections.”

He also gave me a list of things to bring to OCS. He says it’s much better then the list that your recruiter gives you.

Important Papers
Original orders and five copies
Certified copy of birth certificate
Certified copy of college transcripts showing degree earned
Personal Gear
10 pair underwear
10 white crew neck T-shirts
(Not Hanes, the neck stretches. Jordasch is best)
10 pair white crew socks (no stripes or colors)
High-quality running shoes (you will be issues a new pair but you will use your set for the in-PRT on Monday)
Personal toiletries bag with items listed below
$600 in cash
Calculator – cheap pocket style
Rubber bands for shirt rolls
5+ ziplock bags
2 disposable lighters
Flashlight – size ‘AA’ batteries
Spare batteries – size ‘AA’
Alarm clock (battery operated and no radio capabilities, LED is preferred)
Blanket
Watch (cheap one) you only ware a watch when you are section leader and in your last two weeks
2 black pens
Stationary and stamp to write home
Two plane white bath towels

Personal Toiletries
Two toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Shaving Device (you may bring an electric razor but for indoc week bring a safety razor)
Q-tips
Deodorant
Fingernail trimmers
Shampoo
Soap and Case
Sunscreen

That’s all he gave me, I hope it helps!

Kyle

Edited by - KyleP on 11/03/2001 18:01:19

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
That's a pretty good list. Here's some things I would recommend:

quote:
$600 in cash

That's a lot of cash, I wouldn't want to risk losing it. You really only need $20 for the first day, for haircut money. The next time you'll be able to spend money will be at the Navy Exchange, and they accept Credit Cards. There's also a cash machine right outside. I'd say bring no more than $100 that first day (if you have a credit card/atm card). Also bring some checks. You'll need one to give to the pay lady so she can set up direct deposit.

quote:
5+ ziplock bags

Stick one in your toiletry kit, like put your soap in it or something. That way the candio's won't take it away from you that first day. It will be very useful when you get your gouge book. You'd be surprised how sweaty it can be sticking that damned book inside your sock next to your skin. If you want to make a friend, sneak 3 or 4 in. Also, bring an extra razor cause some poor sap (ie, me on the first day) will only show up with an electric and will be SOL. Another good way to make a friend. Also, if the Candio's tell you that you can't have something and take it away, and you KNOW you are SUPPOSED to have it, don't be afraid to ask for it back. In my case, he told me to put my Toiletry kit bag in the contraband bag. It took me three days to work up the nerve to tell someone and get it back. You'll know if you're supposed to have it if all 59 of your classmates have it and you don't. (edited for clarity ~ jwn)

quote:Blanket

A good thing I saw were those fleece bedrolls that were like a small sleeping bag, go to Sports Authority by the sleeping bags and see if they sell them, they're pretty small and work very well. I talked Tahoe into getting one at the Pcola Sports Authority. He'll get it back when he finishes Black Saturday tomorrow (hehehhehe).

quote:
Watch (cheap one) you only ware a watch when you are section leader and in your last two weeks

I'd say a Timex with Indiglo (and no, that is NOT 'i' in the phonetic alphabet! hehehe gotta love RLP...) is a necessity. You'll be able to wear it when you sleep, it will get you up when you have to stand watch at 0200 on a Tuesday, and you can put it in your bookbag so you know what time it is when you are sitting through your 4th hour of Mil Law.

quote:
Two plane white bath towels

Bring some NICE plain white bath towels, preferably large. The one's they issue suck. Also, do not stencil the issued ones until you know exactly how the DI's measure the stencil. I now have like seven $4.00 bath towels with my name 1 cm off center. (They measure the stencil by folding it in half to find the center... they then push a pen through the last period in your stencil, ie SMITH J.A., and the pen tip better damn well be touching the first letter in your name).

Good luck,

jwn

Edited by - dawgfan on 11/02/2001 20:19:52

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey for you Jan OCS guys,

I do not graduate from UF untill Dec 15th (commencement ceremony). However, my last day of class is Dec 5th. I am taking my finals early so I can get to OCS by the 8th. All i needed was a letter from my school saying that I met all graduation requirements. There are a couple of us in the Dec 8th class doing this. Why you ask? Well we show up on the 8th get hammered until the 20th, then we get to go home for a couple of weeks. Then when we come back, we are there for two weeks and then get liberty. To me it sounded like a great way to break up the first month of BS and a way to see my wife and kids. Plus the Jan classes are friggin packed, which will delay the Jan OCS guys even more in getting to API. Just my two cents worth.

Dave

magnum

EODDAVE-

Any idea how long of a stash for api-Again I will graduate OCS on April 12.

MAGNUM
OCS/JAN 12-2002

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Magnum,

Depends on where you want to go for primary. A safe bet on CC or WF would avg around 6-8 weeks. Once again depends on where you want to go and what thepool size is up to when you get there.

Dave

SNA Russell

KyleP: Thanks for the gouge. I'll definitely remember it when I'm packing.

DAWGFAN: Nice to hear from you. Thanks again for letting me read your work. Sorry the M's couldn't go any farther this year.

EODDave: Thanks for your two cents, but my last class isn't until 20 December.

Magnum: Hopefully we can graduate from OCS and get into API before the Academy guys graduate. If we don't, it'll probably double our stash time.

Michaela: I'm still waiting for you to find this damn page.

-Rory

unfUSN

Kyle - What's up fellow 26-01 graduate! Drop me an email sometime UNFPIKAPP@aol.com

I'm re-waviering to get back into aviation... I should hear something by this Friday. Wish me luck.

LATER
ENS Ashley Payne

Status
Not open for further replies.