• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

astb

1. Leveredup17

I Just Passed The ASTB (USMC) 5/7/6 First Try AMA

As the title says, I just passed the ASTB with the minimums for a USMC OCS Air contract on my first go on 4/27/23; as there were plenty of helpful resources out there I would like to give back by answering whatever I can. Some main points that stuck out for me were as follows. I feel as...
  2. MaxReboLives

Just out of curiosity

As the next board convenes whenever they convene, I wonder what is the most common PFAR score you guys went with with your packet.
  3. MaxReboLives

Best settings for X52 and Jantzen sim?

Gonna be retaking the ASTB this October, been brushing up for the ANIT and PBM portions of the test. I bought the x52 HOTAS and mapped the Jantzen sim to it, but it feels off, like much more sluggish than when I took the actual test. I'm using AntiMicro, what's the optimal settings when it comes...
  4. the based midshipman

ASTB Struggling with stick part of PBM - Need advice

I've been studying a lot for the ASTB recently, and have been using @Jantzen_Wells 's ASTB simulator with a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS programmed to my Mac Air using the app Joystick Mapper. I've found that the throttle portion works very well but the stick is glitchy and can't seem to connect...
  5. S

Don't know how to continue studying for ANIT

I recently finished reviewing all the components needed for the OAR, but now that I have to review the ANIT I don't know what to hone into and focus on. Should I just search up a comprehensive notecard list and study those till my eyes bleed or should I review the mechanics and basics of flight...
  6. Highlander51

MECEP SNA: The Good and the Bad

If you are a prospective MECEP or currently on the program I'm writing this to help inform you of the process and of the decisions I made along the way that contributed greatly to getting my commission and my air contract. The MECEP Application Process: This process was a gut punch for me in a...
  7. B

How would you evaluate my application/scores?

I’m planning on applying for an aviation designation with an undergraduate degree in history from the University of Connecticut (3.4 GPA). I’m currently a paid firefighter and have volunteer experience and a range of extracurriculars and athletics. My ASTB scores are 65, 7, 5, 7. I’m aware that...
  8. _mDon08

SNFO

Hi guys, Took my second ASTB attempt and received a 45 5/5/5. College GPA 3.0 I admit, I am a horrible test taker and would rather leave my ASTB at that score for it was better than my first attempt. I’ve spoken to two recruiters, one mentioning SWO which I‘ve already decided is not the MOS...
  9. Zequa

Will they use your best ASTB score or most recent one?

Selected for a ground contract for OCC 239 (Marines). Getting selected for air just wasn't working out. I'll be going for a competitive air slot, knowing that it's a big gamble. Wondering if they will use my best ASTB which was 47 6 8 7 from last Jan, or if I'll have to take it again. I was...
  10. mcneillaviation

What were the steps to becoming a naval aviator?

I’m trying to create a list of the steps that people have taken to become a naval aviator. While becoming an aviator may not be something you can just turn into a list, if anyone is able to kinda turn their journey into a list, I would love to hear it. So far, I’ve written down: 1. private...
  11. S

Finance Degree w/ Pilot Dreams

Hi all, I went to college and graduated with a 4.0 in Finance. I work in the Finance world but it's not what I thought it would be. I've always wanted to fly in the Navy and while I'm young the idea seems still very feasible. My first question is, does not having a STEM Degree set me back in...
  12. M

ASTB Great Lakes Locations

Just trying to figure out where I can take the test around Great Lakes area. Thank you.
  13. Zequa

Retake the ASTB if already passed?

I've passed the ASTB with 47 6/8/7, OAR, AQR, PFAR, FOFAR and wasn't selected for this last board. There is room for improvement, so I'm wondering if it's worth the risk to retake the ASTB in hopes of raising scores or if that territory is hot water in the successive times you take the test. I...
  14. T

Should I retest?

Trying to decide if I should take the ASTB a second time. I scored a 6/7/7 on my first attempt. I am trying to get selected for pilot. Should I retake the test or should I keep the score that I got on my first attempt? Would a 6/7/7 be a competitive score to get selected? Finally, if I should...
  15. cgross220

Aced the ASTB, what next?

Hey everyone, First off I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted and commented on here. As someone that's wanted to become a fighter pilot all my life, I've looked over this site for years and taken in invaluable information that has undoubtedly aided in my process this far and I'm sure...
  16. Jantzen_Wells

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

Hello Everyone! A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that. I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use...
  17. T

ASTB First attempt

I took the ASTB for the first time this morning and scored the following: OAR: 48 AQR: 6 PFAR: 7 FOFAR: 7 I did not study an insane amount for this first attempt. I feel like these scores aren't bad for my first try. I would like to get the OAR score up into the upper 50s/ lower 60s. Any tips...
  18. Mouselovr

Reapplication process

Hi! I'm currently applying SNA for the January boards. ASTB 6/7/7 GPA 3.76 My recruiter is pushing me hard to apply for NFO as she's been told they've essentially filled their pilot quota for the year due to COVID issues. I'm only interested in SNA, and I'm more than happy to wait to attend OCS...
  19. P

Score predictors

I've been doing some studying for the ASTB and just took my first practice test today to use as a baseline so that I know where I need to improve. I scored an average of 77.5% across the 4 provided practice tests (MST, RCT, MCT, and ANIT), and a 79% on the OAR alone. I'm trying to find out how...
  20. R

ASTB Test Locations During Covid-19

Hello everyone. To start, thank you for the wealth of information on this forum. I am new to this site and thank you for the helpful information that you all provide- I appreciate it. I am a Cadet who is scheduled is commission into the USCG in 2021. I will approach my first flight selection...
  21. J

Study Guide Help - OAR Math Portion

Hello everyone, Currently, I'm studying to take the OAR soon at Great Lakes in June. I'm applying for the Surface Warfare program and my recruiter advise I should aim for a 50 at minimum. I've been searching for the best study materials of the math portion of the exam. I focused on reading...
  22. C

Study help

Anyone have good a recommendation for Online ASTB tutoring?
  23. KFC

25May20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

For anyone applying to the 25 May 2020 Pilot/NFO board, we will be using the Pilot/NFO 4MAY20 thread until further information is posted to confirm the date of the upcoming board. Upon joining, please add your information to our collective Google sheet, and welcome to the group!
  24. R

ASTB-E Scores SNA

Just retook the ASTB-E and here are the results: Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR): 52 Academic Qualification Rating (AQR): 7 Pilot Flight Officer Rating (PFAR): 8 Naval Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (FOFAR): 7 Are these scores competitive for SNA? I'm looking at applying for the first...
  25. ActionJackson(IS2)

Simulation Prep

i recently took the ASTB for the first time and not knowing what to expect for the practical section i got 5's across the board. Now the question i have is are there any resources to practice that portion of the test with the throttle and the yoke. any help would be greatly appreciated im...
  26. Marceli

ATSB test in San Diego

Does anyone know where I can take the ASTB test in San Diego?
  27. M

Enlisted Fleet Applicant Consideration

1. As a general rule, do the GPA/ASTB ranges discussed on these broads apply to fleet sailors as well as civilian applicants? Just wondering if Sailors receive any board consideration for demonstrated performance in high ASVAB score ratings (Nuc, CT, HM) and/or high security clearances...
  28. R

2018 ASTB Study Guide Help

Hi all, I was directed to this site by someone now in Navy flight school. He said he was able to use resources from Air Warriors to help study for the ASTB. I am now in the process of studying for the ASTB and would appreciate any help via study guides and the like. If you know of any existing...
  29. socalsomeday

Path to becoming a pilot

This is my first post here so please bare with me. I am aiming to commission through OCS as a pilot. I took the ASTB yesterday (59 6/5/7). My recruiter said that, unfortunately, the mimimums for SNA were recently upped and I am one point short (6/6/X). Since this was my second ASTB, he...
  30. derek.bane

ASTB Exam Help - PLEASE

Is anyone willing to share or sell their study materials if they have already passed their ASTB/OAR exams? I just quit my job and I am starting the whole process to become a US Naval Pilot. I sincerely mean it when I say that any help is appreciated. We could all work wonderfully together as a...
  31. jnaylor

Chances of getting accepted?

Hey everyone, first time posting here. I’m looking to join the Navy or Marines as a pilot. I just took the ASTB. Scored 66 for OAR and 7’s for the other 3 components. I obviously know that it’s a whole package kind of deal, but how competitive are those scores? I’m in for the Navy board meeting...
  32. E

ASTB ASTB study prep recommendations.

Hi everyone, I’m a 25 year old female, prior enlisted (corpsman - HM). I got out of active duty (honorable discharge) after 5 years active and one year reserve due to a family emergency and I am currently working towards a major in Physics with a focus on Astrophysics. I have been talking with...
  33. dave02392

The "all around" candidate

Been seeing a lot of responses on both sides of the argument that the " all around" person and how that helps in pilot selection. Age: 25 Education: Currently 2nd semester of junior year. Economics major, Business minor. GPA: 2.7 Marine Corps prior enlisted 6153 CH-53E airframes (AM Navy rate)...
  34. abctotheabc

OAR Online Study Resources (Free)

So I just bought this book from Amazon which is an OAR Study Guide for 2018-2019. It came with a link to some useful stuff and practice tests online if anybody wanted. I'm studying for the test now hoping to take it sometime in late January and I've read through countless stuff on this forum so...
  35. E

Not so good GPA. Do I still have a shot at going in as an officer?

Hey, My GPA right now in college is not so great. I think it is at a 2.8 or so. Do I have to have a certain GPA before I can even be considered to go in as an officer? Or do you think if I can do well enough on the OAR/ASTB they will overlook my GPA? My other thought was this... If I don't...
  36. Cgunner91

ASTB FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge PDF (for ASTB aviation section)

Hey, all Coming from somebody who doubled their ASTB scores from a 3/4/3 to a 6/8/6, the FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge helped significantly improve my aviation section score. I linked it below. It seems it might have been shared here often, but I just wished to make another...
  37. Ryan92Dallas

Are stick controls really inverted like in the ASTB sim?

Before I ask you all this, YES i searched this thread and google and only came up with inverted video game controls for GTA V and various simulators. So nobody be a dick and tell me to look it up or something when it isn't on this site or google or known by my recruiter or any other commonly...
  38. Ryan92Dallas

Selection parameters

Currently studying for the ASTB. My ASVAB scores are 76 and a 109 GT score. I recently took an OAR practice test without studying and got a 58. My GPA is 3.0, good shape and I have been in the Army for the past 7 years, no moral or legal issues, graduating next term. What are my chances for...
  39. Z

Just took the ASTB

Morning, I recently took the ASTB through the Marines in January. I scored a 42 oar, 4/7/6. My recruiter was happy about my score as it was only my first attempt. I have around 300 hours of flight time already, PPL, IR an taking my comm checkride April 4th. Aviation management major. My...
  40. D

USMC Good enough for Marine fighter pilot?

So I'm a prior service Marine and got a 73, 9/9/9 on the ASTB, graduated at the top of my class with a degree in mechanical engineering and had a GPA of 3.95. There's more I could put academically but that's the gist of my academic caliber. I'm in good shape, but my run time could be better...
  41. Law_Student_Yawning

OAR/ASTB for OCS

So, I'm taking the OAR/ASTB exams in less than two weeks. Is that enough time to prepare? Let me give you a little bit of background. I'm 25. I graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with a 3.45 GPA. I am in my last year of law school, and I do plan on getting barred. I've...
  42. Intrepid12

What does it take to be a Navy Pilot?

Hello all, This is my first post on this website. I am currently an aerospace engineering student who is about to start his sophomore year. I am looking to get some information about becoming a Navy Pilot. Something important to note is that I would be taking the OCS route. What type of...
  43. Robert Washington

OAR

Hello all! I'm taking the OAR in a few weeks and was hoping to find some gouge to study from or does anyone know any hard copy books that I can buy to help me out. Thanks! V/r, Robert Washington
  44. Paul Kellerman

USN My chance under my special situation

Dear fellows, I have a question regarding my Intel and OCS chances: I got my ASTB 64, 7, 6, 8. I was already disqualified for flying because my eyes -8 refractive and astigmatism. But the thing I'm really worrying about is my SF86. I was born and raised in Beijing, mandarin was my 1st language...
  45. M

ASTB Tomorrow in St. Louis

Hey everyone, Let me start by thanking everyone who's been posting information, scores, advice, etc. on the forum as it has me feeling very prepared for my own process. I've been reviewing several online study materials in addition to taking the free online ASTB exam offered through Peterson...
  46. popeye123

LORS

new here guys i heard that if we had a LOR from an officer it would highly increase my chances getting into OCS. unfortunately i dont' know any seamen let alone officers... i was planning to volunteer at the NMCRS, hoping to get some volunteer work down my resume and maybe meet some officers in...
  47. Woodsman

ASTB A synopsis of the ASTB for the new guys and girls.

I took the ASTB since I am a PLC aviation candidate in the DFW, TX area. Last week, I passed the exam with a 52/6/6/7; it was my second (and most likely final) attempt. Here is a brief synopsis of how the test went: 1. Leave any calculators, phones, smart watches, etc. outside of the testing...
  48. JohnH

ASTB Far Different than I expected

A little about me first as this is my first post. I am an Army Intelligence Analyst, NCO, and college graduate. I am looking to better myself and advance my career by becoming an officer. I would have chosen to stay in the Army, but they like to impose ridiculous restrictions like age limits of...
  49. Woodsman

I take the ASTB in a week...

It's my second time to take the ASTB for the USMC PLC program. What is a good way to mentally prepare for the HOTUS throttle and joystick test? That was the ONLY thing I failed last time. Any advice is helpful.
  50. Nick Termini

Change of Option to Marine Option for Aviation Contract

I am currently an NROTC Navy Option Midshipman 3/C on scholarship hoping to switch to Marine Option to get a flight contract. I've been told there are only 5 slots nationwide for such a switch, making it quite competitive, but I know the Marine Corps is looking for pilots so a good set of ASTB...