• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which kind of a squadrons contains slots for junior AMDO?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Regretfully, all Air Force engineering colleges here are producing BSs in math or physics (structural mechanics or aerodynamics) and those O-1s are getting the first assignment which translates into English plainly as "aircraft technician"

markkyle66

It is interesting how different the maintenance concepts are between our two countries.

NAVAIR does it's best to "dumb things down" with regards to our Organic maintenance practices and repair capability. Generally speaking, in recent years, we have invested heavily in Built-In-Test capability and Prognostic Health Management software for each T/M/S. This translates to our Enlisted Technicians being able to rapidly Diagnose, Fault Isolate, and Remove/Replace faulty Weapon Replaceable or Shop Replaceable Assemblies (i.e. swap boxes), then perform Functional Testing and get a Go/No-Go indication and sign-off. Having a high BIT confidence in our platforms also translates into confidence of design/test integrity (i.e. being able to diagnose ALL faults without having to procure additional SE or Test Sets to test for undetectable faults). Generally, it also reduces overall footprint and acquisition costs.

So in short, the requirements we impose for our systems acquisitions enable an organic maintenance concept (since we are talking Squadron, or O-Level maintenance) that allow complex systems to be maintained and troubleshot by technicians with basic training, systems knowledge, etc. coming out of CNATTU. Not saying that our wrench turners, et. all aren't smart people... but I am saying that the idea of folks being "Artisan's" or master craftsman is becoming less necessary due to our maintenance concepts. Meanwhile, our AMDO's are overseeing aircraft production commiserate with operation/mission needs, technical qualification/training of the Enlisted, maintenance programs IAW NAMP, etc. i.e. our Managerial, or administrative role...

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Thanks a lot. There is nothing to explain this difference except for different culture of maintaining complicate systems, based on experience. USN Es are professionals, Russian Es are mostly conscripts, lasting a year. That is the answer, I think.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thanks a lot. There is nothing to explain this difference except for different culture of maintaining complicate systems, based on experience. USN Es are professionals, Russian Es are mostly conscripts, lasting a year. That is the answer, I think.
Or the answer is that the ease of maintenance is designed in from the start as a concious decision to maximize the manpower that we have.