• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
We have an 85 guy here that was negotiating orders a couple years ago (fc2spyguy). When he gets back from his PSA interview we could ask him what orders he was offered. For the 1% of guys that might fit this criterion...

robav8r

None
Contributor
There are disassociated tours that aren't on a ship. Most don't play well for the boards. Some do, but they are painful. Big Navy wants a pain tour. If that pain comes from spending a couple years in DC or as an aide working 20 hour days and never seeing your family, then you are probably still on track. If you manage to spend your disassociated tour handing out basketballs somewhere or flying for a foreign navy and soaking up some culture, then you are probably off track. There are guys that do the latter and still manage to stay on the path, but they are definitely the exception to the rule and there are probably mitigating circumstances.
Truth . . . . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm VP and doing a training officer tour instead of the boat. At least for DH still community valued, for skipper, not enough data points.

Wow, really? I didn't realize VP was so far behind everyone on this. I thought HSL was the last one to finally understand the value of the TrainO/WTI tour, and that community figured it out a little over 10 years ago.

God speed.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, really? I didn't realize VP was so far behind everyone on this. I thought HSL was the last one to finally understand the value of the TrainO/WTI tour, and that community figured it out a little over 10 years ago.

God speed.

One of our commodores did this before it was formalized and there’s a guy who made command this year who did it before formalization. Under the current iteration where every squadron has one, there’s an application process, etc, not enough have finished DH tours with a number 1 ticket to say whether or not the community values it for skipper. 5 years from now will be interesting. And my DH board is next week!

The current process where you have to apply only started about 3-4 years ago. Even then there was some good ole boy stuff going on where guys who weren’t necessarily qualified got the job because they were golden children who didn’t want the boat. It’s much more centralized now in selection, for better or worse I don’t know.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Last I heard orders to 85 were given via the nom process. Is there some way to circumvent the nom process and choose back to back sea duty that I don't know about?

Can confirm 85 is part of the nom process. Hell, when I left my sea tour, even NROTC billets were in the nom process and they weren't releasing the school names until after the production tour billets were filled so that guys couldn't game the system in order to get NROTC at an Ivy or other desirable school.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I get that, but what I'm getting at is you said that you can just choose to take sea duty for your second set of orders in order to ensure that you get shore duty for your third set of orders. You don't really have the option of sea duty for your second tour, other than 85. And only then if you are an HSC bubba... And you are highly competitive and end up getting one of the 2-3 slots a year... It's not really an option for 99% of folks.

Nom for 85 and get selected for a second sea tour in lieu of your first shore tour gives you leverage in negotiating your third set of orders. Technically, per the applicable MILPERSMAN, you can force the detailer to give you shore duty for the dissacociated timeframe, but that doesn't mean you'll go to the RAG or weapons school. Offers I've seen range from a wing staff job to random staffs, which aren't career enhancing.

If you stay active duty you pretty much have to go sea-sea-sea to stay competitive for promotion. If you switch to FTS it's a bit more flexible.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Nom for 85 and get selected for a second sea tour in lieu of your first shore tour gives you leverage in negotiating your third set of orders. Technically, per the applicable MILPERSMAN, you can force the detailer to give you shore duty for the dissacociated timeframe

I was just pointing out that this is not an option for the vast majority. If you select HSC-85 after doing well in your first tour as an HSC guy/gal and the timing gods smile upon you, then this may be an option for you. The hopefuls, SNA's, and fleet nuggets should not read this and think that they can just ask their detailer for a second sea tour in order to skip a disassociated sea tour.

Judge Q

Judging You
I was just pointing out that this is not an option for the vast majority. If you select HSC-85 after doing well in your first tour as an HSC guy/gal and the timing gods smile upon you, then this may be an option for you. The hopefuls, SNA's, and fleet nuggets should not read this and think that they can just ask their detailer for a second sea tour in order to skip a disassociated sea tour.

What % get jets to skip a disassociated sea tour after back to back sea tours? :D

hscs

pilot
For those that stay AD after doing their second tour @ -85, options are limited to get the shore duty that’s deserved and not look like you are being sent to a dead end job. Detailers won’t send those folks to FRS/WWS because they will limit DH/O4 making billets for others.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Do orders to The Lake have the "unusually remote" or whatever disclaimer in the orders?

I don't recall. Strangely, there is no overseas screening required to go to China Lake like there is for Fallon. Which is weird, because Reno is a LOT closer to Fallon than any major city is to China Lake, and neither base has a full hospital with in-patient care.