• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Eulenspeigel

I-JET
pilot
Search function has not given me the specific answers I'm looking for so I'll just ask them here.

I know you can get knee sleeves approved by OCS doctors, but can you bring your own or do they have to be given to you? And how long does it take to get a sleeve/ibuprofen approved by the doctors?

I think I may have overtrained, for the past two weeks my left knee has hurt pretty bad after running despite giving them several days rest in between and OCS is coming very soon, so I'm starting to get worried. What happens if I develop a more significant knee injury after roll able events? Do I just get NPQ'd and kicked out?
You wont be NPQ for a simple knee injury. Depending on severity youll either be LLD for a few days, role to H-Class, or for a really bad injury (think broken leg bad) you will spend some time in student pool. To be NPQ you would need to fuck up your leg enough that youll never fully heal.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
My son is in OCS now, he took kid own knee sleeves and was allowed tomkeep them.

Plus he saw the DOC and had some physical therapy that pretty much fixed his problem that the civilian DOCs couldn’t figure out.

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
Do people ever fail the IST at OCS twice and get disenrolled? I'm definitely not planning on it myself, and there's obviously no excuse to showing up out of shape, but I was wondering if it does happen, or if they just keep indoctrination candidates in H-class until they do pass?
i had a roommate in H that rolled 5 times and still commissioned. just cant fail the same event 3 times. i rolled for IST and fast cruise. still made it.

Loofahs

i had a roommate in H that rolled 5 times and still commissioned. just cant fail the same event 3 times. i rolled for IST and fast cruise. still made it.

I only have a very vague idea of what fast cruise is. Can you offer any advice on how best to train/prepare for it so that I avoid getting rolled by it?

thosefreakinATs

pilot
I only have a very vague idea of what fast cruise is. Can you offer any advice on how best to train/prepare for it so that I avoid getting rolled by it?
dont. fucking. quit. language intended. its tough. its tiring. if youre short, get in front best you can. if youre in front, be a bro for the slower candidates and DO NOT haul ass. its very heavy cardio intensive so train for that. but other than that, ill save the rest for surprise.

and pre stage your gear smartly. when the time comes, youll understand what i mean.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
There’s nothing you can do now to train for it specifically. It’s meant to be a “do you really want to be here” sort of moment. It’s not that bad, just focus on making sure you’re physically fit.

Dr. J

API
Ok so, I'm a former athlete, I played pro baseball, and got released recently (Thanks Rays) I can bang out 70 push ups 90 sit ups and run the mile and a half in at least 12 min, but I'm over the max weight by 15 lbs (I'm 194 but my max weight says 181)

Are they really strict with the weight issue or will they just do what they did at MEPS and take a waist measurement? I'm just not trying to get rolled or, worse case, dropped for something I could fix now rather than later.

twgilmo

They can tape you. But everyone I knew who got taped regularly while I was enlisted made it clear that the people taping are pretty inconsistent, and a poor tape could put a PRT fail on your record.

It sounds like you’re fit, and if your weight issue is muscle mass you will pass tape fine. But, I strongly recommend cutting any extra weight you can to avoid taping.

jRiot504

I'm over the max weight by 15 lbs (I'm 194 but my max weight says 181)

I am in the same boat (not a pro athlete) though much more overweight - 228 and max 191. Mine comes from strongman and powerlifting training; still can complete the run in descent time. If you don't meet the waist measurement such as @twgilmo stated, they will do a neck/waist measurement to check body fat composition.

BlueDacnis

IP Officer - Graduated OCS 20JUL18
Out of curiosity, now that this has been mentioned, what happens if someone shows up and is overweight and fails taping? Do they get kicked out, or immediately rolled to H?

thosefreakinATs

pilot
They do not care about weight at all. As long as you pass the tape youre fine. Measure your iliac crest(image attached). If the measurement horizontal to that bone is 39in or less, congratulations, you pass tape and your weight doesnt matter. If its over 39 in, then measure the circumference of your neck just below the adams apple then horizontal around you stomach at the naval. Subtract the neck measurement from the waist measurement and that gives you your circumfrence value. Then apply that value to linked chart on pg 16 http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 4- Body Composition Assessment (BCA) 2016.pdf

if youre 194 then i doubt youll ever be above the 39" Illac crest measurement, so the uber complex rope and choke method probably will never apply to you. For reference, i weighed 244 lbs when i showed up to OCS. nearly entirely fat with some bulk. but not much. fat neck kept me in "standards". So they dont care how fat you are as long as you totally put out during PT. which doesnt seem like itll be an issue for you.Surface-Anatomy-of-the-Iliac-Crest-picture.jpg

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
They do not care about weight at all. As long as you pass the tape youre fine. Measure your iliac crest(image attached). If the measurement horizontal to that bone is 39in or less, congratulations, you pass tape and your weight doesnt matter. If its over 39 in, then measure the circumference of your neck just below the adams apple then horizontal around you stomach at the naval. Subtract the neck measurement from the waist measurement and that gives you your circumfrence value. Then apply that value to linked chart on pg 16 http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 4- Body Composition Assessment (BCA) 2016.pdf

if youre 194 then i doubt youll ever be above the 39" Illac crest measurement, so the uber complex rope and choke method probably will never apply to you. For reference, i weighed 244 lbs when i showed up to OCS. nearly entirely fat with some bulk. but not much. fat neck kept me in "standards". So they dont care how fat you are as long as you totally put out during PT. which doesnt seem like itll be an issue for you.View attachment 18540
Just tell them your big boned, not fat.?

It’s easier just to loose the weight IMHO.?

thosefreakinATs

pilot
Just tell them your big boned, not fat.?

It’s easier just to loose the weight IMHO.?
i love beer too much. always get "good" on the prt so as long as i can fit through a scuttle and can egress from the bird i wont complain about getting choked twice a year. plus 191 for me is far too skinny. i was 205 coming out of boot in 2012 and looked emaciated

Dr. J

API

if youre 194 then i doubt youll ever be above the 39" Illac crest measurement, so the uber complex rope and choke method probably will never apply to you. For reference, i weighed 244 lbs when i showed up to OCS. nearly entirely fat with some bulk. but not much. fat neck kept me in "standards". So they dont care how fat you are as long as you totally put out during PT. which doesnt seem like itll be an issue for you.View attachment 18540

Ah hell yeah, thank you all for the info. Would running 4 times a week be good? Or should I just get used to doing ballistic exercises? (I.e. Burpees, jump squats, any kind random ab crunch)