• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

This isn't new...I've been applying for a couple of years and they have factored in my GPA from my Master's every time since 2016.

My application got flat-out denied because my graduate GPA was not being considered at the time. Unless NRD Miami was completely misinformed a year ago, it is entirely possible that only until recently have they been considering your graduate GPA as well.

At the time of my first application, my OR was also confident that the graduate GPA was to be considered as well and it came to us as a surprise when it bounced back.

My application got flat-out denied because my graduate GPA was not being considered at the time. Unless NRD Miami was completely misinformed a year ago, it is entirely possible that only until recently have they been considering your graduate GPA as well.

At the time of my first application, my OR was also confident that the graduate GPA was to be considered as well and it came to us as a surprise when it bounced back.

I am a fleet applicant. That may have something to do with it.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Who rejected your application? The selection board? They would certainly know that Master's GPA would be considered. Maybe they're disregarding it if you haven't finished your Master's yet?

Here's the thing with SWO:
1) They get most of their accessions (like 75%) from NROTC, USNA, STA-21, and means other than OCS. As you can imagine, this makes OCS applications for SWO very competitive. This leads to number 2.
2) SWO is the NROTC/USNA "dumping ground" for lack of a better word, hence why they're such large commissioning sources for the SWO community. If you get through ROTC/USNA, you have to serve, but if your major/grades and other markers aren't up to snuff for any particular designator, people typically get thrown into SWO. This also makes OCS applications for SWO very competitive.
3) It's the Navy's bread-and-butter designator. There's all kinds of different kinds of job you can learn and do while on the job and so at least from the officers I've talked to, they want them starting young so they're more easy to get into the mold. I'm a week from 27 and was told my age would be a bit of an issue were I to apply for SWO (active duty) as opposed to other designators (as I'm in the process for).

TL;DR: SWO is easy to get into via NROTC/USNA, very hard to get selected for OCS.

Who rejected your application? The selection board? They would certainly know that Master's GPA would be considered. Maybe they're disregarding it if you haven't finished your Master's yet?

Here's the thing with SWO:
1) They get most of their accessions (like 75%) from NROTC, USNA, STA-21, and means other than OCS. As you can imagine, this makes OCS applications for SWO very competitive. This leads to number 2.
2) SWO is the NROTC/USNA "dumping ground" for lack of a better word, hence why they're such large commissioning sources for the SWO community. If you get through ROTC/USNA, you have to serve, but if your major/grades and other markers aren't up to snuff for any particular designator, people typically get thrown into SWO. This also makes OCS applications for SWO very competitive.
3) It's the Navy's bread-and-butter designator. There's all kinds of different kinds of job you can learn and do while on the job and so at least from the officers I've talked to, they want them starting young so they're more easy to get into the mold. I'm a week from 27 and was told my age would be a bit of an issue were I to apply for SWO (active duty) as opposed to other designators (as I'm in the process for).

TL;DR: SWO is easy to get into via NROTC/USNA, very hard to get selected for OCS.

My application never made it to the boards. My Recruiter's supervisor looked at it before submitting and advised the masters GPA is not considered. At the time however, I was still not finished with the masters.. that might have been what he meant?

exNavyOffRec

My application never made it to the boards. My Recruiter's supervisor looked at it before submitting and advised the masters GPA is not considered. At the time however, I was still not finished with the masters.. that might have been what he meant?

all college classes are to be considered, whether part of a conferred degree or not.

grantstuart

I'm re-applying for the Pilot/NFO in a board on the 16th??? of April (13th submission deadline). I just yesterday boosted my scores from a 34 and 6,6,6 to a 52 OAR, 7,8,7 (AQR,PRAF,FOFAR). I have a 2.8 (2.9?) GPA. I'm going to redo my motivational statement and get some more recommendation letters (from managers/leader types).
How all this look for competitiveness?

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm re-applying for the Pilot/NFO in a board on the 16th??? of April (13th submission deadline). I just yesterday boosted my scores from a 34 and 6,6,6 to a 52 OAR, 7,8,7 (AQR,PRAF,FOFAR). I'm going to redo my motivational statement and get some more recommendation letters (from managers/leader types).
How all this look for competitiveness?

Did your OR show you the aviation calculator? That’s a good start...

hokies2018

Mikey marinara
Virginia Tech: Dec 2018 Grad
BS Civil Engineering: 3.1
OAR: 69
LOR's: O8 SWO, O6 SWO, Intern supervisor
Extracurriculars: Fraternity president, engineering group founder, SGA rep, newspaper columnist, club sports
Choices: Intel, SWO

Hoping the high OAR can offset a somewhat low GPA for intel?

AC_Com198

Virginia Tech: Dec 2018 Grad
BS Civil Engineering: 3.1
OAR: 69
LOR's: O8 SWO, O6 SWO, Intern supervisor
Extracurriculars: Fraternity president, engineering group founder, SGA rep, newspaper columnist, club sports

Hoping the high OAR can offset a somewhat low GPA for intel?

I’m in a similar position; hoping a high GPA will offset a lower OAR. From what I’ve seen on PERS-472, we’re both splitters.

GPA: 3.9
OAR: 60

Anyone know how we look?

hokies2018

Mikey marinara
I’m in a similar position; hoping a high GPA will offset a lower OAR. From what I’ve seen on PERS-472, we’re both splitters.

GPA: 3.9
OAR: 60

Anyone know how we look?

Objectively, I'd kill for your package over mine. My 3.1 would be an odd duck if selected whereas your 60 OAR appears to be damn competitive from what I've seen. In any event, best of luck to you!

exNavyOffRec

Objectively, I'd kill for your package over mine. My 3.1 would be an odd duck if selected whereas your 60 OAR appears to be damn competitive from what I've seen. In any event, best of luck to you!

OAR's are essentially just a qualifier to get your application seen, often OAR will follow GPA, if a person has a high GPA they often get a fairly good OAR, and low GPA often a lower OAR.

I did see a few exceptions now and then but that is why you often see the averages it includes a good GPA and good OAR, it is much more likely to see a person picked up with a high GPA and low OAR

A 3.1 GPA isn't too bad for a SWO application.

hokies2018

Mikey marinara
OAR's are essentially just a qualifier to get your application seen, often OAR will follow GPA, if a person has a high GPA they often get a fairly good OAR, and low GPA often a lower OAR.

I did see a few exceptions now and then but that is why you often see the averages it includes a good GPA and good OAR, it is much more likely to see a person picked up with a high GPA and low OAR

Thank you for the gouge. I've lurked the forums long before I ever made an account and you always seem to have evenhanded, honest advice. I will keep my fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Does the university have anything to do with anything? Like say one guy graduated from Berkeley in mechanical engineering with a 3.3 and is applying for CEC, and everyone knows the educational standard and competitiveness Berkeley is at is through the roof. It's unanimously considered among the very top even without the private school brownie points. But then say some other guy graduated from Western Michigan University with a 3.4. Does the WMU guy have a better shot?

I am curious because I know VT well enough and lots of Hokies to know it's one of the best and most competitive engineering schools one can go to. My corporation (and many others) heavily recruits from there for that reason.