• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ChristianM

For the people who've already taken the exam, how did you study for the aviation/nautical knowledge portion?

The information is a bit overwhelming and it seems like (from the posts I've read) that the things I'm studying are either going to be or aren't going to be on the exam.

So, does anyone know for sure what is a must know for the aviation knowledge portion?

A must would be aircraft lights and boat terms. Know which color light is on the starboard side and port side.
Aircraft parts and what they do( i.e. ailerons, rudders, flaps), forces of flight. Know some stuff about categories of aircraft (such as A means ground combat, K means tanker) because I remember those questions. I was asked what a "bolter" is when referring to aircraft carrier landings. There was a question asking what plane was known for dive bombing I think.
I was asked a question about a nuclear reactor and electron rods, so study up on your nuclear engineering also!

Do you remember the jist of the question?

DragonAdder

pilot
Can you explain what you did with the sticky note again? I'm having trouble understanding what you mean.
Certainly, please refer to Figure 3 on page 14 of the attached PBMB pdf. The "top down viewpoint with the triangle pointing in a certain direction toward a dot and north pointing up" is the tracker map view. The camera view contains four parking lots centered around a central square (tent). During the actual test, the camera view will not have the parking lots labeled. You will be given the tracker map view and be asked to target a parking lot associated with a compass direction in the camera view. Draw your sticky note so that it resembles the camera view and label the parking lots in accordance with the directions on a compass (North for the top one, South for the bottom one, East for the right one and West for the left one). When asked to target a parking lot, identify the direction the arrow is pointing on the tracker map. Rotate your sticky note so that the direction identified is now at the top (in the Figure 3 example, South would be up top). Then click the parking lot requested. Make sure you rotate your sticky note back to the default state (north up top) before the next question appears. This is because the system automatically advances to the next question an instant after you select your parking lot (you briefly see if you were right or wrong and it gives you your reaction time). Remember that you can utilize the practice section as many times as you want before you dive into the real deal. I've also attached a pdf that will help you practice this, answers are at bottom of each page, so you may wish to zoom in a bit to hide them. Does that answer your question?

Attachments

• ASTB-E_PBMB_test.pdf
    470.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Directional Orientation Practice.pdf
    226.8 KB · Views: 134

CGrissom15

Do you remember the jist of the question?

It was something along the lines of "what would happen if you pulled two electron rods out of a nuclear reactor."

I wouldn't stress over it though, as I'm sure you know and others have said, the test is adaptive, it'd be near impossible to cover every possible piece of information. I really just mentioned the nuclear question to show how broad the topics can get. If you stick to the basics - and know them well - that have been covered here, you'll be good.

aebchoi

A must would be aircraft lights and boat terms. Know which color light is on the starboard side and port side.
Aircraft parts and what they do( i.e. ailerons, rudders, flaps), forces of flight. Know some stuff about categories of aircraft (such as A means ground combat, K means tanker) because I remember those questions. I was asked what a "bolter" is when referring to aircraft carrier landings. There was a question asking what plane was known for dive bombing I think.
Thanks! Much appreciated :)

oceanov

MEPS Medical Technician
It was something along the lines of "what would happen if you pulled two electron rods out of a nuclear reactor."

I wouldn't stress over it though, as I'm sure you know and others have said, the test is adaptive, it'd be near impossible to cover every possible piece of information. I really just mentioned the nuclear question to show how broad the topics can get. If you stick to the basics - and know them well - that have been covered here, you'll be good.
I had that question, too. Something about how to increase power of the nuclear reactor. I think I answered take out two electron rods or something.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
Oh man, rough weekend. I got a 4/5/5. Missed it by one point.

There wasn't anything in the math section I focused on in my studies. It was all really weird probability and word problems. I started freaking out that I didn't recognize any of them. I think that hurt me more than anything. The reading section was nothing, and the mechanical comprehension section was the only section I feel I improved on. None of the questions on the Aviation/Nautical section were in my study guides. There were a few history questions I could guess at, but the rest, geez, I can't even remember what they were. I think I was thoroughly freaking out by then. I think I got kicked off early. The spatial reasoning, tracking stuff and the listening comprehension I aced. It wasn't hard at all, even the emergency simulation. You just need to read the instructions over and over until you feel comfortable and know what you're doing.

Overall, I was totally bummed the entire weekend. Still am. My recruiter is going to see if I can get a waiver, but no word yet.

Congrats on your score, DragonAdder! That's really good. : )

Keep your head up high man, you did your best. Stay motivated, keep studying and try again if you can. Don't give up until it's completely out of your hands. And even then, trust God.

a4don

Hey everybody, first post here but I've been reading the forums for years and they've helped a lot!

Anyways, I took the test last week for the first time and would also like to share my experiences. I received a 65 8/8/7.

Like others have said, the Mechanical Comprehension Test was a bit different than what I expected. The biggest shocker was a question I had on binary. It asked how to write the number 4 in binary, which after looking it up after the test I learned is 0100. Other than that I remember having a problem involving an object being dropped from a building with a time of flight of 5s, asking its final velocity (don't forget to use 32 ft/s2 instead of 9.8 m/s2 like I did the first time) and a few other simple questions. This was the only section that I wasn't able to finish in the allotted time.

Reading comprehension was fairly easy but all of the reading texts seemed like they were straight out of the Navy regulations so the paragraphs were quite dry. Stay focused on this part!

Math was straightforward- no real surprises here. One question that I thought was kind of difficult was one regarding choosing the equation involving m and n that will give an even numbered answer if m is even and n is odd. Only one log question for me fortunately.

Aviation/Nautical Info: flaps, Douglas Dauntless, lights, starboard/port, hull, keel, empennage, green jerseys.

I thought the drone pilot section was the hardest where you have to designate which parking lot is the one they ask (north, south, etc.). Unfortunately I never thought to use scratch paper for these sections including the emergency procedure one. I just memorized the things I needed to but I feel like writing things down would be a much better strategy.

For the audio part, one thing that I did that helped was when it specified the ear to pay attention to, I slightly turned my head to that side so I wouldn't forget which ear I was supposed to be listening to. Kind of quirky, I know, but it helped me.

I am one of those proponents of flight simulators. I've been playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on and off for years and I think at the very least it has made me more comfortable with the stick and throttle and increased my basic aviation knowledge, just don't get thrown off when you see a different piece of hardware on the test than what you've been using for years.

Overall I'm happy with my score, don't think I'll take it again, going for SNA. Feel free to ask me anything!

StalkingRecon

Hello to everyone in the forum.

First of, I'd like to say thank you to all those who've posted their results, questions, suggestions, and overall 2 cents. Your help and counsel is EXTREMELY appreciated. If you guys don't mind, I'd like to post my story, and through it ask for your opinions/experiences.

I went by the Navy Recruitment Office in Puerto Rico about 4 weeks ago and scheduled my first try for the ASTB. The Lt. in charge spent what I considered a high ammount of time with me talking about my options and for what programs I could apply. I had in mind Nuke at the OCS level, but he said that could not be a possibility since I haven't taken Calculus II. He proceeded to ask me if I'd thought about the NFA program, and I truthfully answered no, 'cause I felt that to be a pilot, it had to be this life long dream of a person. The Lt. proceeded to respond with this: "In the Navy, it isn't about dreams, it's about proficiency. If you take the test, and prove proficient, I suggest we get a package together and submit it."

I don't know why, but man! Those words, they really did something, and I've been studying for these 4 weeks like I've never before, eating up gouges, and rifling through flashcards on ANIT and Mech, the FAA Pilot's Handbook, and of course, reading up all kinds of posts on AirWarriors. He opened my eyes to something that I can really do.

After the brief explanation of my situation, I ask the community this: have any of you had a similar position on Aviation, or are the majority of you guys people who've been thinking on getting NFA commisions for a long time? Your opinions and life experiences are going to be well received.

Saludos (Greetings) from Puerto Rico!

ChristianM

Certainly, please refer to Figure 3 on page 14 of the attached PBMB pdf. The "top down viewpoint with the triangle pointing in a certain direction toward a dot and north pointing up" is the tracker map view. The camera view contains four parking lots centered around a central square (tent). During the actual test, the camera view will not have the parking lots labeled. You will be given the tracker map view and be asked to target a parking lot associated with a compass direction in the camera view. Draw your sticky note so that it resembles the camera view and label the parking lots in accordance with the directions on a compass (North for the top one, South for the bottom one, East for the right one and West for the left one). When asked to target a parking lot, identify the direction the arrow is pointing on the tracker map. Rotate your sticky note so that the direction identified is now at the top (in the Figure 3 example, South would be up top). Then click the parking lot requested. Make sure you rotate your sticky note back to the default state (north up top) before the next question appears. This is because the system automatically advances to the next question an instant after you select your parking lot (you briefly see if you were right or wrong and it gives you your reaction time). Remember that you can utilize the practice section as many times as you want before you dive into the real deal. I've also attached a pdf that will help you practice this, answers are at bottom of each page, so you may wish to zoom in a bit to hide them. Does that answer your question?

Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you mean now. I'm going to try practicing this way and see if I can do it better than my way.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Just took the ASTB-E today, and got a 7/8/7, OAR 56! I'd like to share my experiences and what I would recommend for other applicants:

Study guides: Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests / Marine Gouge / Mechanical Gouge / Flashcards / This gold mine of a website.

The "Adaptive" nature of the test is strange. I got cut off early from most of the sections, which made me pretty nervous. In hindsight i'd have to say that this doesn't mean you're doing bad by any means, it just means that the test has a good idea of your "cap".

Math Skills Test: My most difficult OAR section. The highest math class i've taken would be Calculus in college, and I am by far no expert. Lots of probability. things like: If you are playing blackjack with a full deck of cards, what is the chance that you will be dealt an ace? I had to pick my brain to remember that there are 14 cards in one suit X 4 for a total probability of 4/48, or 1/14. Also a couple of averages, distance/time problems, and some basic math. Nothing too ridiculous, but I was still nervous. No logs or matrices.

Reading Comprehension Test: Definately my best OAR section. Almost every study guide you can find for this is perfect. The better you do, the longer, drier, and more closely related the answers become. A lot of it was Military related stuff, Nothing crazy here, just take your time and read THOROUGHLY.

Mechanical Knowledge Test: This one fell somewhere between my Reading and Math sections in terms of difficulty. Gas questions, electricity questions, mechanical advantage, pulleys, and gears. Most of it is common sense. Reading the Marine Mechanical Gouge I attached should suffice, but a look through most modern ASTB-E books would help as well.

Aviation/Nautical Information Test: My best section overall. I have a strong aviation background, and I took a couple of Naval Science classes my freshmen year to gain some Navy knowledge (well worth it!). The existing gouge is perfect for this, just look in the Personal Study Guide I attached (it's all over Airwarriors by the way). Questions like: What is an F9F Panther? (Jet) What does a Green Jacket do on an aircraft carrier (Cargo), What is the highest deck of a ship? (Quarterdeck, I believe). Many have said that this section is the easiest to study for as most of it is rote, and I would have to agree!

NATFI: "Ehh" is all I can say about this one. Officers need to be calm in emergencies, need to work well in groups, and need to respect authority, that's the hints I kept seeing from the answer choices. You can start to see where they're going with these answers, but it doesn't really matter either way. Be honest, and if you're at a crossroads, pick the lesser of two evils. Don't try and game it, I think the test can tell.

UAV Section: Use the practice section!! After 8 practice questions, it will ask you to continue, but just press the back key and do it again until your answer choices are around a couple seconds apiece. I got 45/48 right, and missed those 3 for my own dumb reasons. :rolleyes:

Dichotic Listening: Pay attention to the practice sections thoroughly, and try to learn your head in the direction that you're being tested. The test will say "RIGHT" or "LEFT" depending on which ear it want's you to pay attention to. After that, it will start with a string of about 10 combination pairs of either numbers of letters (One letter/number will be in each ear, and it's totally random). Try to learn your head in the direction that you're being tested. For example: If you're being tested on the "LEFT", tilt your head to the left and focus solely on that ear. When you hear an even number (as opposed to an odd number or a letter), pull the trigger. When you hear an odd number (as opposed to an even number or a letter), push the "clutch." By tilting your head, it makes it easier to remember which side you need to pay attention to. What threw me off was that the letters or numbers both went simultaneously in each ear, so you had to phase one out. Just relax, this one isn't hard if you stay calm.

Vertical Tracking: Another easy one (Well, relatively easy, compared to the hysteria that occurs in the last two PBMS...) You will be following an airplane thats going haywire via a red reticle, and are tying to stay on top of it. Just remember that throttle up = reticle goes up. Throttle down = reticle goes down. You can start to predict the plane's movements after awhile, and can combine that with the input delay of the throttle to start keeping it "in the green" for quite awhile.

2D Tracking: Good lord. The LT that administered the test reminded me just as he walked out that the joystick has been "coming unplugged" and "acting strange" lately. So if I were to see it start messing up, just plug it back in.... The joystick was really hectic and quirky near the boundaries of the screen, so I just did my best. Follow it around the screen and don't feel bad if you think you're failing miserably, I know I thought I was at the time.

Vertical/2D Combo: Use your peripheral for the throttle, and focus mainly on the 2D. This is where you start to feel like you're having a spasm, and that's ok. Just get through it.

Vertical/2D/Listening Triple Threat: Same as above, combined with the listening section. Just lean your ears again, and try you're best. Priority goes: Listening/2D/Throttle (in my opinion)

Vertical/2D/Emergencies: WRITE DOWN YOUR EMERGENCY PROCEDURES!! Not trying to scream here, but seriously, this is what saved me. Reference the image below:
The two circular knobs with the black stripes on the throttle control your fuel gauge (top knob) and engine gauge (bottom knob). The bottom knob also has a button on the center that acts as your "clutch" (which is the button you press once getting your two knobs into the correct positions per the specific emergency) The emergencies are stated verbally for you, and a warning comes up on your screen. Drop what you're doing on the tracking part, and focus on these. I remember reading in the instructions itself that it said: "Your highest potential score will be determined by how many emergencies you get correct" or something like that, so prioritize those heavily. The emergencies are as follows:

PROPELLER: Leave the fuel knob at neutral (requires no input on your part), and put the engine knob* to full (highest point on the gauge, you may have to tinker with the knob to figure out which direction makes it go "up"), then press the clutch button.

FIRE: Bring the fuel knob all the way down, and the engine knob* all the way down as well. Then press clutch.

ENGINE: Put both knobs all the way up, and press clutch.

*(I forget this knob's name)

You'll only get one of each maneuver, so when they're all done, continue tracking.

Here's a picture of the joystick I used. You can see the two knobs on the throttle, and the trigger behind the joystick.

ASTB Joystick.jpg

Overall, it wasn't that bad. my biggest suggestions would be:

1. RELAX. It's not too hard, and unnecessary stress is detrimental.
2. Use process of elimination to make you're answering easier. I cannot tell you how many times this saved me. This quickens you're response times, and makes answering that much easier.
3. Don't rush, but don't get stuck on a question. If you're drawing blanks, and have thought about if for a minute, guess and move on.
4. Read the question carefully. Multiple times I would look at a question for awhile and go "Ooh, THAT'S what it means!" Still try and move quickly though, as per suggestion 3^
5. Write things down, and/or practice before the section starts. The UAV, and PBM sections greatly benefitted from taking time to better understand them prior to being tested, and I would suggest doing so.

That's it! I attached the guides I used. Pick up a Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Test if you can, and go to the following sites for more good gouge. (Mods, if this isnt cool, feel free to delete these, i'm not advertising for them in any way.)

Flashcards: (Search ASTB Flashcards on Google)

Marine Gouge Website: ( Search MarineGouge on Google)

Hope this helps you guys! :)

Attachments

• ASTBgouge.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 290
  • ASTBmechanical.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 294

rundmv14

Hey everyone. I just sat down this past weekend to take the ASTB. Got a 6/7/7. I'm never very good with standardized testing, so am happy to have passed with a solid score. I would agree with OceanOV that the practice math sections are much easier than what I encountered on the test. I would also find that true for the mechanical comprehension section.

MATH
Lots of problems involving exponents and factoring. I would recommend reviewing fractional exponents. Adding/multiplying with exponents. Know how to factor equations and solve for x after factoring.

READING
No real advice here. Just remember that at least two of the answers are right, but one what can be DIRECTLY inferred from the information given in the prompt. If the answer adds some detail that isn't directly mentioned, it's probably wrong. Also, avoid absolutes answers like "always", "never", "highest", "worst", etc.

MECHANICAL
I felt that the practice questions and study guides helped with remembering basic principals of physics. However, the questions presented took them about one step harder. Had a fair amount of questions on pulleys, levers, and springs. Although, most of the exam is a blur to me.

AVIATION/NAUTICAL
Had a question about the guy who tested the nose wheel hook on the A-6 in 1960 (Lawrence Meade Jr.). Other than that, the study guides and practice tests will generally prepare you well for this section. Be sure to know basic flight procedures and aerodynamic principles. There will be questions that catch you off guard, just answer the best you can and move on.

My best advice for anyone: If you have studied and put the time in that is necessary for you to actually learn this stuff, you will be fine. Other than that, be sure to maintain a positive and calm attitude on test day. I felt as if I was failing most of the time on the Math/Reading/and Mechanical Comprehension sections. Just keep answering and move on until the section is complete. Ultimately, they are looking for candidates who are smart, yes, but who can also maintain calm and focus through frustration and stress.

Jenlm

Just finished taking the test this morning. Little background on me: graduate student in chemistry and I have no flight knowledge or experience. I studied the Barron book and used study guides I found on here and flash cards I found online to study as well as the FAA pilots guide to aeronautical knowledge. I got a 6/6/6 60.

Math was definitely harder than I expected but nothing crazy. Lots of word problems and factoring/exponents.

I was surprised when I had a lot of questions on the aviation section about navigation systems which is something I didn't study for. But everything else was was pretty clear and has been talked about here before.

The joystick part was horrible for me! I've never even played video games much less try a flight simulator thing like that and they only let you have one practice round. It was rough but do your best!

Definitely have to thank everyone on this site for all the advice! So glad that's over.

tclogan

SNA applicant
I recently took the ASTB and am waiting for the pilot boards to convene. Rumors indicate that the pilot boards will be sometime in May, 2015. Due to my current situation, regarding signing an apartment lease (minimum 6 months) and accepting a possible job at the beginning of May, I would like some insight as to what my probability of acceptance will be.

I have no formal flight training, so 0 flight hours, and I would like to know if that plays a major factor for pilot candidates. The other factors include: GPA: 3.29 OAR:55 AQR: 7 PFAR: 8 FOFAR: 8

Knowing the likelihood of being accepted will help aid in my decision making. Any feedback is appreciated.

MemphisBell

pilot
Seems lately that if you have a decent gpa and 6's or higher on the astb, you have an excellent shot at getting picked up for pilot. However, it all depends on the needs of the navy, so if the demand for pilots is down, the selection scores will go up. If you are sure this is what you want though, I would go for it!!