• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conflicting information regarding post-op wait time

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
Hello All,

I was wondering if someone can clarify something:

How long does an applicant have to wait after surgery before submitting their application to the recruiter?

I have recently spoke to my recruiter and he notified me that, according to his Officer Recruiter Instruction manual, that I would have to wait 1 year before submitting my application. I have earlier referenced the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide detailing it is a 6 month wait and his reply was what I mentioned previously.

In addition, I also spoke to a Navy Recruiter via Live Chat and he also stated a one year waiting time. When asked if he could provide me with a document referencing this, he was unable to locate it and quoted another officer saying it is a one year waiting period as well. Despite the conflicting information, recruiters also have to follow their manual as well. He offered a phone number to the OCS Program Manager for Pilot/NFO/AMDO and unfortunately, they are out of office (I will update my post once I can get in contact with him) but for now:

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks for your time.

Respectfully,

JP

MemphisBell

pilot
If you are referring to lasik, than your recruiter is garbage!! With the Air Force you have to wait a year but the Navy is only 6 months before you can go to MEPS.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I was quoted 6 months as well by a recruiter when I called last summer. I'm going to call again tomorrow and double check since my surgery is coming up and I'll let you know what they say.

exNavyOffRec

When it comes to medical items the cruitman just will give general guidance, the medical manual is the governing document and it says 6 months

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
Thanks for everyone's response.

I contacted the Pilot/NFO Program Manager and he told me that it is a 6 month waiting time, with 3 and 6 month post-operative check ups. MEPS will not review anyone's application before the 6 month mark.

Success! Case Closed!

JP

lusos

A man's gotta eat
Thanks for the info guys. I'm having the same exact problem with my recruiter and I was looking for some information like this to confirm.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
I am glad this post helped you. If you need a contact number to give to the recruiter, talk to a Navy Recruiter representative using the Navy Chat off their website; I explained to them my situation and they provided me the program manager's information (I am unsure if there are more than one program manager per region per state).

exNavyOffRec

I am glad this post helped you. If you need a contact number to give to the recruiter, talk to a Navy Recruiter representative using the Navy Chat off their website; I explained to them my situation and they provided me the program manager's information (I am unsure if there are more than one program manager per region per state).

They probably gave you the OR for the local area, they shouldn't be giving out the PM's number, they don't have time or care to talk to applicants.

FYI, the ones on chat are enlisted recruiters and generally have no knowledge of officer programs, you are better off calling the NRD to talk to an OR instead chatting with someone that doesn't know what is going on.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
They probably gave you the OR for the local area, they shouldn't be giving out the PM's number, they don't have time or care to talk to applicants.

FYI, the ones on chat are enlisted recruiters and generally have no knowledge of officer programs, you are better off calling the NRD to talk to an OR instead chatting with someone that doesn't know what is going on.

The Navy Online Chat was actually very helpful. They had to go ask an officer recruiter (this took a while) but in the end, they gave me a phone number and told me who I would be contacting. I spoke to my OR and he was very adamant about the one year waiting process, especially when everyone here and the manual said it is 6 months. As for the NRD, it wasn't an option I thought of but I suppose that could have worked too.

Anyhow, this is just how I dealt with the issue.

exNavyOffRec

The Navy Online Chat was actually very helpful. They had to go ask an officer recruiter (this took a while) but in the end, they gave me a phone number and told me who I would be contacting. I spoke to my OR and he was very adamant about the one year waiting process, especially when everyone here and the manual said it is 6 months. As for the NRD, it wasn't an option I thought of but I suppose that could have worked too.

Anyhow, this is just how I dealt with the issue.

They don't have any OR's that man that chat, they probably called an OR (which if so is better than they used to do), pretty much anytime we had an applicant that said they went online and were chatting with a recruiter we cringed, maybe they have put an OR on speed dial, of course many of the chat guys used to be recruiters who couldn't cut it as recruiters, heard they were trying to change that though.