• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Ooh, here's another one: Douglas X-3 Stilletto:
071107-F-1234S-015.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
image.jpg
North American F-107 Ultrasabre. First variable inlet duct. Later used on the A-5 and XB-70. Beat out for operational use by the F-105 Thud. There is one of these at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson if you ever get a chance.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 14548
North American F-107 Ultrasabre. First variable inlet duct. Later used on the A-5 and XB-70. Beat out for operational use by the F-105 Thud. There is one of these at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson if you ever get a chance.
That intake placement always creeped the hell out of me.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Lockheed XFV-1
Lockheed_XFV-1_on_ground_bw.jpg

Convair XFY-1 Pogo
523px-Convair_XFY-1_Pogo_2.jpg

The 50s produced an amazing number of weird and unique experimental aircraft, many of which never made it off the drawing board.

jmcquate

Contributor
View attachment 14550

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Credible_Sport

One of three C-130H airframes modified to YMC-130H for aborted rescue attempt of Iranian hostages, Operation Credible Sport, with rocket packages blistered onto fuselage in 1980, but these were removed after mission was canceled. Subsequent duty with the 4950th Test Wing, then donated to the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB, Georgia, in March 1988.
You win. I thought I knew aircraft, but that Frankenstein Herk takes the cake. I had to look it up..........didn't believe it at first.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 14551

Here is the approach plate for the space shuttle approach back to earth. Note the missed approach instructions. View attachment 14551
"Prior Permission Required?" Really, NASA? No shit, Sherlock. :p

Why do I get the impression that this was probably like the CV-1 approach? Yeah, there's a "plate" for it, but by the time you actually have to shoot it, you basically know it by heart.

Pags

N/A
pilot
View attachment 14550

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Credible_Sport

One of three C-130H airframes modified to YMC-130H for aborted rescue attempt of Iranian hostages, Operation Credible Sport, with rocket packages blistered onto fuselage in 1980, but these were removed after mission was canceled. Subsequent duty with the 4950th Test Wing, then donated to the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB, Georgia, in March 1988.
Huh, I never knew that the second rescue attempt was supposed to terminate on a CV.

What's really amazing is the scope of engineering work that was completed in a very short time of the c-130s.

For another ridiculous hostage (POW) rescue attempt, check out Operation IVORY COAST, the unsuccessful rescue attempt of POWs at the San Toy POW camp in Vietnam. You know it's a good plan when crashing a helicopter is part of the plan.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
"Prior Permission Required?" Really, NASA? No shit, Sherlock.

I noticed that, too. "Shuttle Discovery, please hold while we confirm your PPR."
"Uh, unable."

The glideslope is ridiculous, too. Just proves that something that looks like a brick... glides like a brick.