• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I was concerned that approaching my service year, not a single course was approved (at least going by the points total provided by customer service). The person I talked to at -912 was surprised and did some research. It turns out that the number customer service has provide all year, was the points total up to my last anniversary date. All the courses approved since then were placed in a second column (regardless of which service year the points go to) and customer service wasn’t mentioning this number.

That is correct. Usually they will give you the point total - not including - what you have earned in your current anniversary year. Make sure you ask them for the current anniversary year, your cumulative total and to be safe - is the current anniversary year included in the cumulative total (almost always no.)

rob00000

I went to the DAU website & it states that a CAC card is required so I guess that whole website & all the courses are out.

Next, I signed up for a FEMA SID Card. It looks like I have to fill out an application for each course stating dates I want to take the course, how it's relevant to my current job, etc. Wow! Then I have to send it in & hope it gets approved.

I spoke to the IRR counselor last month & she said to start with the FEMA classes & I could get 50 points knocked out easily in a single night. How is that possible when each course must be approved through a lengthy process?

Some of you guys who have done FEMA courses already can you please advise me on how you signed up for all of your courses & how long did you wait for approval?

Thank you, two years to go, hope I can make it. I need 70 points. It's starting to get really scary.

drrosenpns

On the FEMA emergency management institute website, you just click on independent study link, then select IS course list.

All the courses are there. No need for approvals. They even grade the exams and send the certificate right away.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
I went to the DAU website & it states that a CAC card is required so I guess that whole website & all the courses are out.

That's incorrect. Yes, if you tell the site that you are military, it will ask for a CAC. However, as GubMints said, "DAU is open to Contractors without CACs (as of now). All you need to do is sign up, fill out the form that lists the name of your company/work type, and list a supervisor's email." That even applies to even one-man consulting businesses, for example...

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
I have a general SELRES correspondence course question...

If you are SELRES and complete courses in NKO, DAU, etc. are they automatically credited to your reserve points?

I have a DAWIA cert that I'm required to maintain by completing DAU courses as a DOD Civ and if I'm selected for SELRES, DAWIA cert will be required for positions and/or career progression.

I assume I will not get any reserve points for the 1000+ of hours of DAU/JPME coursework I completed as a Civ prior to becoming SELRES?

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
If you are SELRES and complete courses in NKO, DAU, etc. are they automatically credited to your reserve points?
They aren't automatically credited. You have to fax the certificate to 901-874-7044 with you SSN on it. Then they'll update your record... in the next six months... if you are lucky.

I assume I will not get any reserve points for the 1000+ of hours of DAU/JPME coursework I completed as a Civ prior to becoming SELRES?

No, unfortunately, you won't get credit for old courses. Unless you were already in the reserves while you took the classes (I got about 15 points that way a few years ago when I dug out some old certificates.)

But any new classes you take for your civilian job and certainly provide double duty and give you reserve points as well.

rob00000

On the FEMA emergency management institute website, you just click on independent study link, then select IS course list.

All the courses are there. No need for approvals. They even grade the exams and send the certificate right away.

Awesome! I see it now.

How do you know this stuff? Trial & error? After getting my SID I figured the next thing to do is sign up for a course & that's when I saw the course registration link. I didn't know about the independent study link.

I wish the Navy would explain the procedure to us a little better but that's a tall order. Oh well, I have my shipmates to help me! Thanks much!

rob00000

That's incorrect. Yes, if you tell the site that you are military, it will ask for a CAC. However, as GubMints said, "DAU is open to Contractors without CACs (as of now). All you need to do is sign up, fill out the form that lists the name of your company/work type, and list a supervisor's email." That even applies to even one-man consulting businesses, for example...

Thanks, I did read what he wrote but I DON'T work for a contractor so I figured that didn't apply to me. Maybe it does if you're telling me what I think you are.

Thanks, I did read what he wrote but I DON'T work for a contractor so I figured that didn't apply to me. Maybe it does if you're telling me what I think you are.
1) The point of the reserves is to MOBILIZE and support our nation
2) If you keep getting points, it's more likely that 3, 4, 5 or however many years down the road, you'll say "I want to get back in the mix!"
3) The website doesn't say "if you work for a contractor, or you're a contractor *with clients*, click here"
4) Don't nuke this out too much rob00000

Heads up --- it sounds like there are three (tailored) new SE-JPME courses coming out later this year. From the Joint Forces Staff College website:

"JKO is updating and enhancing the SEJPME program as the Next Generation SEJPME consisting of two distinct courses. Roll out will be phased and begins 1 May 2015 when JKO launches a new version of the SEJPME E6-E9 course for immediate enrollment. JKO will begin offering the Next Generation SEJPME program as two courses, SEJPME I tailored for E6-E7 students and SEJPME II tailored for E8-E9 students on 1 Sep 2015."

Source: http://jfsc.ndu.edu/Academics/SeniorEnlistedJointProfessionalMilEducation.aspx

It therefore might be prudent to knock out the current version (JKDDCSNC02 -- 15 points) before 1May as I would guess it will be taken offline when the New and Improved SEJPME rolls out.

rob00000

1) The point of the reserves is to MOBILIZE and support our nation
2) If you keep getting points, it's more likely that 3, 4, 5 or however many years down the road, you'll say "I want to get back in the mix!"
3) The website doesn't say "if you work for a contractor, or you're a contractor *with clients*, click here"
4) Don't nuke this out too much rob00000

That's cool. Yeah, I volunteered for a mob in 2008, spent a year in Kuwait. My first enlistment I spent 3 years on a carrier making 2 westpacs & then quite a few years as a SELRES. I really haven't spent that many years IRR. I went IRR in March 2011. But I agree IRR alone would drive me nuts. I drilled with guys that got mob orders then tried everything they could to get out of going. That really annoyed me. If you don't want to serve your country & get mobbed from time to time then why are you in the Navy Reserves? I was thrilled when I went to Kuwait in 08. It was a great experience & I wouldn't trade the memories for anything in the world.

CoyoteK

I was also able to knock out about 20 points pretty quickly with Joint Special Operations University. You do have to apply and get approved but I would guess any reserve Naval officer would have the justification to take these courses. You need to knock out Intro to Special Operations first though. It's all pretty quick, easy stuff.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Question - Do you need to be "sponsored" by your unit in order to enroll in and complete a correspondence course? And, is there a "cost"/constraint associated with it? Or, can you freely and limitlessly just enroll in and complete whichever courses whenever you feel like it?

I am applying for an 1835 DIRCOM and - while I realize NIOBC and PQS'ing will consume the majority of my attention - it'd be nice to go gain some additional knowledge (e.g., "intro to spec ops" that was mentioned) since I am non prior enlisted, and I don't do intel in my day job.

What courses did you do?
I was also able to knock out about 20 points pretty quickly with Joint Special Operations University. You do have to apply and get approved but I would guess any reserve Naval officer would have the justification to take these courses. You need to knock out Intro to Special Operations first though. It's all pretty quick, easy stuff.