• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May-ish 2015 Pilot/NFO Rolling Board

bkos1207

Hey guys,

So I'm suppose to go to MEPS this week to qualify for a SNA slot. However, I'm trying to get a grasp on how hard the color vision test is. I know they use the ishihara dot test and I have taken just about every one that is available on the internet. Out of the 60+ slides that I have looked at, I have a hard time seeing 4. Being that if I don't pass this test it could ruin my dream of flying for the navy, I was wondering is anyone could give a gauge on this test and if I should be worried. I’ll try to attach the 4 slides that I have hard time seeing.
The Ishihara test is extremely difficult for anyone with even a mild color deficiency to pass. The Navy uses the version with 16 or so plates, it's the "easiest" version, but you're gonna have a hard time with it if you're not 100% color normal. Fear not though, if you fail the Ishihara you will be given the FALANT test instead. It was specifically designed to pass people that had mild (not enough to cause a problem) color deficiency who failed the Ishihara. I am in this boat, I failed every Ishihara test I've ever taken. Went to MEPS, took it there, dots. Next plate, dots. Just dots on every plate. This is par the course for me so they wheeled me over to the FALANT. Failed it hard the first time around. Let my nerves get to me and started second guessing myself. Got limited to restricted line only. Took it in the civilian world afterwards, found an optometrist around me that had one (they're almost impossible to find in the civilian world, took me 35+ phone calls), took it with him, passed. Navy wanted to see me do it in person, went back to MEPS, more dots for the Ishihara, passed the FALANT on the first run. Now PQ for all unrestricted line commissions. What changed? My demeanor while taking the test. Take a deep breath and take what you see at face value. Point of this rant being; don't give up if you know you can pass either test. Bad days happen, there's always an appeal process. Feel free to PM me any questions about the mechanics of either test or if you want tips on them, I've done entirely too much research into the subject.

EMTpilot

Just remember it is easy for people to tell you "No." It takes zero effort on their part. Find people that will tell you yes. They are much harder to find but they are out there. Do what you got to do to get where you want to be. I spoke with a RADM at the Pentagon the other day and she told me that was her biggest piece of advice. Find people that will tell you something other than "No."

cmwz1510r

pilot
None
NRC just moved a ton of NFO Selectees to FY16 and have even more from this months board awaiting FINSEL letters. As such, there's a huge backlog which is why they are holding off applications until things start moving again.

so with that backlog how many billets are they planning on filling with fleet applicants?

exNavyOffRec

so with that backlog how many billets are they planning on filling with fleet applicants?

unless they decide to only look at fleet applicants all boards will select the "best qualified" applicants, if that means all fleet candidates or no fleet candidates so be it.

MemphisBell

pilot
Thanks for the responses guys. We had some winter weather this week so my date with meps will probably be pushed back till late next week. Right now, I have already done most of my paper work, filled out my background check, sent in my transcripts, and taken the ASTB. All that is left is MEPS and letters of recommendation, which I want to wait till I'm medically clear ask my boss. Hopefully I can make it to the next SNA board!!

JukeboxEmperor

Wants into space
None
Hi all. I seem to have run into an issue with my package. While checking PRIMS, I noticed that my last PRT -- which I thought was a GOOD, was actually a SAT (by two pushups. I'm ashamed). I had been building up my package for this board, but now I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to submit.

Quoting 1420.1B on basic eligibility requirements for enlisted applicants to OCS:
(6) Physically qualified and meet two consecutive “good-low” final Physical Readiness Test (PRT) scores prior to entry into the program.

This would seem to indicate that I cannot submit my package until I can get two "Good" PRTs, which pushes back my submit date until late November.

The only similar situation I've run across on this board is from this post 2 years ago, which gives some conflicting information.
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/enlisted-to-ocs.38929/

I have a few questions in regards to what my chances are of making OCS from my current enlisted record. I read over the 1420.1B and it stated that you need your last 3 PRT scores to be at least a GOOD LOW. Two of my PRT scores were above this GOOD MEDIUM's, but then they adjusted the PRT measurement scale to just SAT, GOOD, EXCELLENT, and OUTSTANDING with no in betweens for my latest PRT and I got a SAT. The instruction doesn't take this new scale into account so does anyone know if I am eligible with my SAT score?

Obviously the 1420.1B is slowly getting outdated with the changes to the PRT and so on. As long as you are not a PRT failure I wouldn't worry about it. Try to improve you scores but seems like you are fine as long as you don't fail. Apparently PT is the main reason why active duty candidates attrite from OCS so you should work on improving your scores.

Does anyone have any thoughts or input? I don't mind waiting, but like most of you, I'd much rather submit this package as soon as possible.

bkos1207

Thanks for the responses guys. We had some winter weather this week so my date with meps will probably be pushed back till late next week. Right now, I have already done most of my paper work, filled out my background check, sent in my transcripts, and taken the ASTB. All that is left is MEPS and letters of recommendation, which I want to wait till I'm medically clear ask my boss. Hopefully I can make it to the next SNA board!!
Don't wait. My letters took me longer than anything else to compile, never hurts to get the ball rolling on them in the mean time. With the way this last board went, I think it would be prudent to get everything in as early as possible to make sure that you don't have any snags that keep you from missing the next board. I started working on my kit immediately after the October board and STILL missed the February board.

Hodgesa

Pro Rec SNFO April Board
I remember seeing a spreadsheet or something that showed the stats of applicants who received Pro-rec Y throughout the year but I can't find it anymore, has anyone else seen this and if so does anyone have the link?

If you wait on the LORs then you're not making this board. People are forgetful and lazy and just sometimes complete idiots. It took me 5 months to get 4 LORs. I had to ask about 8 people just to get 4, because the other 4 turned out to be undependable. Some people filled out the form incorrectly and had to do it again. One woman filled it out incorrectly twice and then I never heard from her again. I had to call and email and essentially harass people to get them submitted. A lot of people just outright screwed me from two boards. So, do it now.

MemphisBell

pilot
After talking to my recruiter, we decided that im going to submit 3 good LofR. 1 O-5 retired F-18 pilot/FedEx pilot now, 1 O-4 retired Air Force C-130 pilot/FedEx pilot now, and my current manager at work. He says they only spend 5 minutes on each application. They first see your GPA and major followed by your ASTB scores. They then glance at your motivational statement and then your LofR. It's a very fast process. I wanted to wait till after MEPS to ask my current manager because I prefer him not to know that I might be leaving. However, that might change after hearing from yalls experiences.

Last edited:
After talking to my recruiter, we decided that im going to submit 3 good LofR. 1 O-5 retired F-18 pilot/FedEx pilot now, 1 O-4 retired Air Force C-130 pilot/FedEx pilot now, and my current manager at work. He says they only spend 5 minutes on each application. They first see your GPA and major followed by your ASTB scores. They then glance at your motivational statement and then your LofR. It's a very fast process. I wanted to wait till after MEPS to ask my current manager because I prefer him not to know that I might be leaving. However, that might change after hearing from yalls experiences.

Yeah, the LORs are a formality it seems. Still a pain in the ass. I think they just want to know people can vouch for you. It all comes down to your ASTB and GPA.

Joshua Owen

Soooo what are yall doing to stay in shape? Or to kill the time between now and May?

I've been doing a lot of distance running on top of my weight lifting. Personally if there is any physical area of mine that needs improving, it's running. To kill time, and as a back up plan, I just got a job in my old college town so I'm moving back in a little under two weeks. Should be fun. What about you?