• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Entrepreneurship on the side?

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of applying for an OCS pilot slot. My two big goals in life are to be a military pilot and to be a successful entrepreneur. Ideally, I could be involved with both at the same time, but I'm not sure if it's possible. How feasible is it to be engaged with side projects or entrepreneurial ventures as a naval aviator? Obviously the Navy would come first in this equation, but has anyone heard of/had experiences with people who have had some success with this type of arrangement? Is it even allowed? If it is workable, at which stage(s) would it be a possibility between flight school/sea tour/shore tour? I probably won't be starting a family or anything during my time in Navy, so any personal time would be free to work on other things. Also, more than likely I would be starting this enterprise with 1 or more civilian guys, so that might help mitigate the issue of me potentially being completely out of the picture for 6-8 months when on deployment. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Short answer? Bloody unlikely, at the very least until you have a fleet tour under your belt.

Sonog

pilot
In your first three years you'll have a very unpredictable schedule. Sometimes you have more free time than you know what to do with. Other times you're stoked if you can squeeze in some time for basic chores. So if you have a venture on tap that you can turn on or off as your schedule and free time fluctuates through flight and school and the frs, go for it?

I knew a guy that made custom beer pong tables in his free time. He made an extra $10K a year or so, but it was not a traditional business like flipfloppity seems to be discussing. More like a hobby he made money off of.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of applying for an OCS pilot slot. My two big goals in life are to be a military pilot and to be a successful entrepreneur. Ideally, I could be involved with both at the same time, but I'm not sure if it's possible. How feasible is it to be engaged with side projects or entrepreneurial ventures as a naval aviator? Obviously the Navy would come first in this equation, but has anyone heard of/had experiences with people who have had some success with this type of arrangement? Is it even allowed? If it is workable, at which stage(s) would it be a possibility between flight school/sea tour/shore tour? I probably won't be starting a family or anything during my time in Navy, so any personal time would be free to work on other things. Also, more than likely I would be starting this enterprise with 1 or more civilian guys, so that might help mitigate the issue of me potentially being completely out of the picture for 6-8 months when on deployment. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Make that 8-10 months.

Also, don't forget workups. Between workups and deployment, I wasn't home for 14 months out of a 20 month span.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have heard of plenty of guys who have successful entrepreneurial careers....after they serve their time in the military.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...any personal time would be free to work on other things. Also, more than likely I would be starting this enterprise with 1 or more civilian guys, so that might help mitigate the issue of me potentially being completely out of the picture for 6-8 months when on deployment...

There's always one or two Wolves of Wall Street or budding slumlords in a squadron. But you're making the common error of thinking you're off work between deployments. If anything, you're busier; you just might not be flying as much. There's no time for much of anything else.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's always one or two Wolves of Wall Street or budding slumlords in a squadron. But you're making the common error of thinking you're off work between deployments. If anything, you're busier; you just might not be flying as much. There's no time for much of anything else.

Or MLM guys who want to make sure you get in on the greatest of deals my friend! Ummmm, no thanks.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I know some Nigerian uncles who can help out.
I'm intrigued, have them send me an email.

As others have said, biggest thing is scope. Are you a guy who makes apps for the app store in your spare time? You can still probably do that. If you're a budding Ron Swanson who has a nice woodshop and you sell a chair every now and then, you could do that. Slum lord? Getting harder, but everyone in my peer group has a rental property somewhere that's been an albatross around their necks since 2008. If you're trying to do something beyond the mere hobby level, that's when you just won't have the time available. You could maybe be a silent partner, but starting a business in your limited spare time would be very difficult. And when we say limited spare time, think you're already working 10-12hrs a day when you're not gone for 10 months at a time.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you really want to start and run a business, why not go Reserve? (and pick a different designator)
So your business can go belly-up when you get mobilized to East Bufu for a year and don't have connectivity? If you have any interest in being a SELRES officer and doing the job correctly, "one weekend a month and two weeks a year" is a pipe dream. It's a significant time investment, and I would say entrepreneurs better be part of a solid team that not only can do without them if necessary, but won't resent it. Those are some tough shoes to fill.

Fair warning: the Navy does not use the Reserve Component strictly as a "break glass in case of Chinese hordes" asset.

robav8r

None
Contributor
What would concern me is the lack of complete and total focus on being a Naval Aviator. This business is hard, and challenging and takes a toll on all aspects of your life. Being really, really good at Naval Aviation requires a 100% commitment on your part, and even then you might not succeed. Pick a career - but if you pick Naval Aviation, be prepared to bring everything you've got.