• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances to get selected for Officer Commission

dennis10093

Hi all,

I came here for advice because I have no contacts with the military besides my recruiter. I have always wanted to join the military because of the service and personal development it can provide, but I am lost in the whole process. I just want to see roughly what my chances are to get selection for OCS.

21 male, graduating from UC Berkeley majoring in Econ with cumulative GPA of 3.5
Have been involved in service organization since high school, held major leadership positions in student government.
Went through MEPS and they said I qualify, eyesights are bad but are correctable to 20/20
5'7", 150lb, clean background/record (well there is a speeding ticket)
Took the ASTB, 56/6/6/6.

Applied for Pilot/NFO/SWO/Intel/Supply

Does anyone by any chance know when the board will meet for those positions?
I just want to get some feedback so that I can have a mental preparation. I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance!

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Your stats look decent enough. The 6/6/6 is probably your weakest point, which isn't bad.

What your chances are? Nobody really knows until the board sees your application. The only thing we know for sure is that your chances are 0 if you don't apply.

Whitefoot

None
Best advice on the "chances of selection" question is to take a look around at the forums and look at the stats of those selected. There are certain forums that are solely dedicated to the boards. Take a look at those and you will see plenty of people getting a yes or no as well as their stats. As @RUFiO181 always says, your selections chances are 0% if you don't submit a package.

exNavyOffRec

Hi all,

I came here for advice because I have no contacts with the military besides my recruiter. I have always wanted to join the military because of the service and personal development it can provide, but I am lost in the whole process. I just want to see roughly what my chances are to get selection for OCS.

21 male, graduating from UC Berkeley majoring in Econ with cumulative GPA of 3.5
Have been involved in service organization since high school, held major leadership positions in student government.
Went through MEPS and they said I qualify, eyesights are bad but are correctable to 20/20
Took the ASTB, 56/6/6/6.

I just want to get some feedback so that I can have a mental preparation. I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance!

"chances" questions are not the best thing to ask here, I am sure you will see why soon enough, a better question would have been "how do I compare to those that have recently been selected that are on this board"

good GPA, so so FOFAR, PFAR, AQR

what you will find when you search the forums is RUFIO posted that NRC has put out not to submit any NFO and Intel applications until further notice.

some other items, SWO is no longer considered unless it is #1 or #2, IDC rarely considers a person unless they are #1 or #2, Supply rarely considers a person unless they are #1 or #2.

you say your eyes are correctable, what matters for Pilot is also what is your uncorrected vision? greater than 20/40 is a no go.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
NRC is not taking NFO and Intel applications until the late Summer time at the very earliest. NRC won't accept applications if SWO is your third or beyond choice and don't waste your time having Intel or Supply as the same thing. Being that your eyesights are "bad" from MEPS, I'm going to say that your vision likely beyond the 20/40 vision limit for Pilot.

With all that being said, SWO and Supply are your legitimate chances to apply. You need to get in touch with your recruiter and come up with a good game plan on what to apply. Your choices right now are all over the place and either yourself, your recruiter, or both are clueless on how the application/program preferences go.

As for chances, there's a whole thread dedicated to what NRC considers competitive. It's fairly detailed and accurate. It will give you a good guide on what the boards are looking for.

fergz89

Any word for AMDOs? My father was one and I am considering to look into that. Yet my father was an LDO. Does the field take in non-priors?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Any word for AMDOs? My father was one and I am considering to look into that. Yet my father was an LDO. Does the field take in non-priors?

Unless you're prior enlisted or active duty with aviation maintenance experience, don't bother applying for AMDO.

Hi all,

Took the ASTB, 56/6/6/6.

Thanks in advance!

I believe that SWO is a rolling board. Can you confirm, RUFiO181? There is a big thread devoted to it on here. I know that NFO was easier to get last year, and as has been said, they are not looking at apps at the moment per my recruiter and others. Letters of Rec are important. Leadership experience is also important. In your motivational statement, try to focus on how you can make a difference and impact others. Don't just go with the "I want to serve my country blah blah" because it comes across as a canned answer (even if you mean it sincerely). I wouldn't worry about the speeding ticket, you certainly aren't the only one to get one of those :)

A 3.5 from Berkeley is certainly not a bad thing. Good job!

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Don't just go with the "I want to serve my country blah blah" because it comes across as a canned answer (even if you mean it sincerely).

Please tell me how you can justify that statement and can tell another applicant not to say one of the primary reasons for applying is to serve his country and his desire to do so as a Naval Officer. Is it your education? I wouldn't say its deserving of "blah blah" in a mocking way was it?

Last edited:
Please tell me how you can justify that statement and can tell another applicant not to say one of the primary reasons for applying is to serve his country and his desire to do so as a Naval Officer. Is it your education? I wouldn't say its deserving of "blah blah" in a mocking way was it?

I did not intend for it to be construed as mocking. But if you want to say the same thing as every other applicant, be my guest. 95% of the motivational statements I've read contain some variant of that. If you want to stand out, I would go with a different approach.

No need to attack my alma-mater or other qualifications. That's quite unnecessary. I'm just sharing my experience and trying to help this guy. What are you doing to help? Any more issues, feel free to pm me.

Good day to you, sir.