• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Favorite ports of call

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Never was forward deployed as a Naval Officer, but as a CIVMAR (which is kinda nice because you're only liberty restriction is show up for your watch and don't be drunk) I'm going to have to go with:
Darwin, Australia - For some reason big Navy decided to steam a 45k ton ship down to drop off some inert 500lbs' for Southern Frontier....even though it could've easily fit on a couple C-130's out of Kadena...we weren't complaining though. Spent the whole weekend there, some how I managed to not have to stand any watches. Expensive but it was a blast, everything was pretty much open all night and the city was pretty much full of young Aussies backpacking for the summer (which is no bad deal for a 21 y/o deck officer).
Palau - Best diving hands down. That was worth the B.S. that came with the entire exercise. Some how managed to drag a few of the SWO's and the 1/O out and rent a boat and a guide for the day. It rained the entire day, but the diving was still incredible and worth it. We were there for part of the ceremony for the 70th anniversary of Peleliu last September, which was needless to say interesting.
Singapore - Its just fun and you don't run out of things to do even when you're there for weeks.

samguitar

Flying a desk.
pilot
Worst port that was supposed to be awesome: Male, the Maldives. So many things went wrong, starting with the WX. We anchored in between islands, and liberty got cancelled, because the seas were too choppy to board the liberty launch. Then we finally get off the ship and can choose from several islands. It was night, and I went to the little island with nothing but beach and a small tiki bar. It was as boring as it was expensive. I think I had to pay like $7 just to step off the liberty launch onto dry land. I also went to the island witht eh airport. There was one restaurant where they let us off, and the staff would not allow the hoarde of sailors to enter. We were sent down to the more blue-collarish bar downstairs, which was ok, but packed and pricy. I think some buddies found some decent diving, but I was happy to leave.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
1) Malta. Hands down, can't beat it. The history and weird mix of cultures makes for interesting exploring.

2) Casablanca. My buddies and I rented a taxi for $60 for the entire day and rode around the city exploring.

3) Roatan. I didn't have duty and had free reign for 4 days. I lived off of rum, pineapple juice, and cigars. I also met a lot of interesting people who made for good drinking company.

4) Soudha Bay. My liver and dignity can't take more than a few days in Soudha, but it's so much fun.

As a random aside, the best bacon I ever had was in Gitmo. No idea why.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Getting off the boat (and to some extent, back on) was a giant pain in the ass at Roatan, but once on shore, that was a fantastic stop.

...and the GITMO Subway cheats you on the amount of meat they put on your sandwich.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
4) Soudha Bay. My liver and dignity can't take more than a few days in Soudha, but it's so much fun.

I liked Souda a lot more than I expected to. The base has enough amenities so you can stock/restock what you need. Chania is a tourist trap, but still has a lot of good restaurants, bars, clubs, plus all the Eurotrash vacationing there means you get a variety of folks. I didn't get much chance to explore the island, but I was told by others who did that there's some beautiful spots for snorkeling, etc.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Getting off the boat (and to some extent, back on) was a giant pain in the ass at Roatan, but once on shore, that was a fantastic stop.

...and the GITMO Subway cheats you on the amount of meat they put on your sandwich.

Yeah, that Subway is garbage but the little Cuban joint by the library is the bomb. I swear they're killing the local pigs for their bacon. It's so tasty.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, pork in Cuba is sort of like beef in Texas or crabs in Maryland. It's their local thing.