• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
I got approved for the DISAM course today and it's slow going, but another couple of points to add to the mix.

subreservist

Glad I had a year in SELRES before my O-5 board, but even then 1325 promotion was <20% IIRC. I was surprised when I got it and certainly wouldn't expect it in the IRR.

Although your community had a low rate, it's all lumped together in a big URL pile, which was probably around 50-60% overall. Without sitting the board, there's is no way to know how many 1325's in that group were "active" drilling members.

Since I've been cross-assigned for the last 3-4 years now, I've been able to observe the promotions within 2 decent-sized units, both top-heavy with officers. I have observed everyone of them make O4 (no big deal right now as the selection rate has been 85-90%) and O5.

IMO being SELRES is 6/tenths of the way there for promotion to O5. JPME get you 7/10...an MP type candidate another tenth...EP another tenth (we're at 9/10 probability for selection...lol!).

A FITREP leading into the board would keep a record seen as actively drilling, even if you switch out to IRR before the board actually meets.

I honestly think there are a large number of IRR in that O4 to O5 look...there definitely will be when these 90% groups get their look, and if they stay historical with around 65-70% to O5, that's pretty much captures every SELRES that's active and breathing.

They really don't truly weed out SELRES until the O6 look, which I've seen plenty of O5's down in the dumps after that board. But, again, have not observed anyone not select to O5 (that didn't decide to retire as O4).

Sorry Sam...I know this should be in the promotion thread!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Another thing to consider is that, unlike the active duty, if you are passed over in the Reserves you still have a substantial chance of being promoted on your second or third look. However for that to happen, a SelRes needs to do something to stand out: exercises, JPME, etc - not just fly.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Sorry Sam...I know this should be in the promotion thread!

Don't misread my request as aggravation because it's not. This information is very helpful and insightful...I just don't know that folks will look in the Course Review thread for Promotion stuff. I'm no Mod and I'm not the peer police...just trying to be helpful. When I started reading your last sentence I thought it was going to read, "Sorry Sam...you don't have a prayer of making O-5!" lol....which is probably true.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Tried to re-edit but got kicked out. Moderator please delete my previous post as it is not particularly clear.

Went to the Navy Reserve website and downloaded the IRR Excel spreadsheet; of particular interest are the Joint Knowledge Online (JKO) courses as they do not require a CAC card.

In summary: the actual JKO website lists a total of 950 courses, however the Navy Reserves list only has 49 JKO courses that are worth retirement points (150 points total). Unfortunately, the actual JKO list and the Navy Reserve list of JKO courses do NOT match. 23 courses listed by the Navy are nowhere to be found on the JKO website which leaves only 26 total courses available for a total of 57 points.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Yeah, like I mentioned earlier JKO can get you through a year, maybe 2 if you have some carry over pts from NKO / etc.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
For those folks that can get to the DAU classes, you can take the same class year after year without any problem. (I think DAU places some limits about not the same class twice in a given FY)

Tried to re-edit but got kicked out. Moderator please delete my previous post as it is not particularly clear.

Went to the Navy Reserve website and downloaded the IRR Excel spreadsheet; of particular interest are the Joint Knowledge Online (JKO) courses as they do not require a CAC card.

In summary: the actual JKO website lists a total of 950 courses, however the Navy Reserves list only has 49 JKO courses that are worth retirement points (150 points total). Unfortunately, the actual JKO list and the Navy Reserve list of JKO courses do NOT match. 23 courses listed by the Navy are nowhere to be found on the JKO website which leaves only 26 total courses available for a total of 57 points.
Thanks for doing the research. I can't figure out if RESFOR designed it this way, or if they're just sitting back and laughing like Dr. Evil because it turned out even better than they could have hoped for... Either way, I wish they'd just say "don't go IRR" instead.

rob00000

Thanks for all the helpful information you guys are posting.

Someone said you have to be SELRES for the DAU courses. The IRR counselor told me IRR can do those. Does anyone know for sure what's up with that?

What's the process for enrolling in FEMA courses? It seemed a little confusing reading it at their website & was hoping someone here could advise.

Thanks all.....

J.Bourne

I was concerned that approaching my service year, not a single course was approved (at least going by the points total provided by customer service). The person I talked to at -912 was surprised and did some research. It turns out that the number customer service has provide all year, was the points total up to my last anniversary date. All the courses approved since then were placed in a second column (regardless of which service year the points go to) and customer service wasn’t mentioning this number.

GubMints

Thanks for all the helpful information you guys are posting.

Someone said you have to be SELRES for the DAU courses. The IRR counselor told me IRR can do those. Does anyone know for sure what's up with that?

What's the process for enrolling in FEMA courses? It seemed a little confusing reading it at their website & was hoping someone here could advise.

Thanks all.....
DAU is open to Contractors without CACs (as of now).

All you need to do is sign up, fill out the form that lists the name of your company/work type, and list a supervisor's email.