• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about being a SWO after OCS

banjosquirrel

So I've scoured these SWO threads and I'm hoping to get answers to some questions. I know that Sailor Bob would be the best place for this, but it limits users to people who've already at least been accepted to OCS and I'm still waiting to hear back.

Anyway, I went from being a hopeful Intel or IW applicant to completely wanting to go SWO. This might sound crazy to some based on a lot of the information I've encountered, but it truly sounds exciting to me and something that I'm well-suited for. I'm waiting to hear back from next Monday's board but in the mean time I thought I'd see if I can get some questions answered.

From what I understand, after OCS all SWOs must go to BDOC within 6 months of commissioning, which takes place at either San Diego or VA Beach depending on where one is stationed. How long is BDOC, and what is it like? Also, how is it determined where you'll be stationed? Does the order of choice go based on class rank at OCS, as I've seen in some places? If so, what are the choices like? For example, I imagine that there are a ton of openings in Norfolk, but are there always slots for every other base? How likely is it that I would get my first or second choice, if that's even how it works? If I were to be accepted to OCS (fingers crossed), from what I know of my options, my top choice would be to be stationed in Everett, WA. Is this likely to happen right now?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm just eager to learn as much as I can about my hopeful career path while I'm waiting to hear back from next week's SWO board. I'll make a Sailor Bob account if, God willing, I'm accepted, but I really enjoy AW and I'm glad that there's a SWO forum here.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Also, how is it determined where you'll be stationed? Does the order of choice go based on class rank at OCS, as I've seen in some places? If so, what are the choices like? For example, I imagine that there are a ton of openings in Norfolk, but are there always slots for every other base? How likely is it that I would get my first or second choice, if that's even how it works? If I were to be accepted to OCS (fingers crossed), from what I know of my options, my top choice would be to be stationed in Everett, WA. Is this likely to happen right now?
The way it worked with my class (I assume the same for others) was that the class officers got a list of ships/ports available sometime in the second half of OCS. They gathered the SWO students and told them to figure out amongst themselves who goes where. What's available for your class is going to be different from what's available to other classes, there's no real way of telling what your chances are of getting x ship at y homeport at this point.

Larick

None
Contributor
Lucky for you. Currently finishing up BDOC at San Diego. It's fun, but mostly death by powerpoint haha. It is an 8-week course. There are a couple of exams you take such as Rules of the Road, DC, Engineering, etc. You get to go on ship tours and look at certain parts of the ship depending on what module you are on in the class i.e. learning about Engineering, you visit the engineering plant and see what you are learning. Ranking at OCS depends on how all the SWO's want to do it. The LT just gives you a list with ships and all the SWO's have to decide on their own on how it should be done. Majority of the ships on our list were either Norfolk or San Diego. There was 1 WA ship and it was a CVN reserved for a SWO option only.

banjosquirrel

Thanks, y'all. I also know next to nothing about the ship types. What are pros and cons of being on different ones?

Last edited:

swerdna

None
Contributor
Thanks, y'all. I also know next to nothing about the ship types. What are pros and cons of being on different ones?

That's really a tough question to answer because it's very subjective. It's going to depend on what you're looking for. If you want a fast-paced and more stressful tour - pick a cruiser or destroyer. Want something slower but less combat-oriented, pick an amphib. Want to work your ass off and have a smaller crew - pick a minesweeper.

People generally have preferences for job, homeport, or platform. I usually choose based on homeport.

azguy

None
That's really a tough question to answer because it's very subjective. It's going to depend on what you're looking for. If you want a fast-paced and more stressful tour - pick a cruiser or destroyer. Want something slower but less combat-oriented, pick an amphib. Want to work your ass off and have a smaller crew - pick a minesweeper.

People generally have preferences for job, homeport, or platform. I usually choose based on homeport.

Yep, I'd go with a shiny, new DDG that is attached to a Carrier Strike Group for your first tour. That will get you exposure to all of the big SWO missions. As cool as BMD can be, those ships are stuck doing just sitting in a box, and as an Ensign you'll have nothing to do with BMD anyway.

Don't go to a minesweeper- you will hate life.

Bluecore

Lucky for you. Currently finishing up BDOC at San Diego. It's fun, but mostly death by powerpoint haha. It is an 8-week course. There are a couple of exams you take such as Rules of the Road, DC, Engineering, etc. You get to go on ship tours and look at certain parts of the ship depending on what module you are on in the class i.e. learning about Engineering, you visit the engineering plant and see what you are learning. Ranking at OCS depends on how all the SWO's want to do it. The LT just gives you a list with ships and all the SWO's have to decide on their own on how it should be done. Majority of the ships on our list were either Norfolk or San Diego. There was 1 WA ship and it was a CVN reserved for a SWO option only.

Did you have to report somewhere before attending? How long were you there before you got in to your class? What was your experience like on the ship before having to leave for BDOC? What kind of duties did you have? Thanks in advance!

Larick

None
Contributor
Yes I did. I'm going LCS so I was ordered to check-in at the LCS squadron building for TAD upon returning from Newport. I was there for about 2 months before I classed up for BDOC. Depending on where your ship is after OCS, you'll either report to your ship (as TAD) then go to BDOC or just muster at BDOC until your class starts. It was pretty hectic when I visited my ship. My ship was going through INSURV so everyone was stressed out with that. It was a good learning experience during that time because everyone was on their A game when we picked their brains, as requested by the CO. I was fortunate enough to go underway with the ship for a couple of days. It was a fun experience. Being on the bridge watching special evolutions was pretty awesome. I mostly stood UI watch on the bridge and started working on some qualifications. Basically being a sponge and trying to absorb as much information as possible. Oh yeah, can't forget the "Hey lets quiz the new Ensign" moments on the bridge and in the wardroom.

Bluecore

Yes I did. I'm going LCS so I was ordered to check-in at the LCS squadron building for TAD upon returning from Newport. I was there for about 2 months before I classed up for BDOC. Depending on where your ship is after OCS, you'll either report to your ship (as TAD) then go to BDOC or just muster at BDOC until your class starts. It was pretty hectic when I visited my ship. My ship was going through INSURV so everyone was stressed out with that. It was a good learning experience during that time because everyone was on their A game when we picked their brains, as requested by the CO. I was fortunate enough to go underway with the ship for a couple of days. It was a fun experience. Being on the bridge watching special evolutions was pretty awesome. I mostly stood UI watch on the bridge and started working on some qualifications. Basically being a sponge and trying to absorb as much information as possible. Oh yeah, can't forget the "Hey lets quiz the new Ensign" moments on the bridge and in the wardroom.

Thanks man. Very valuable input!

The way it worked with my class (I assume the same for others) was that the class officers got a list of ships/ports available sometime in the second half of OCS. They gathered the SWO students and told them to figure out amongst themselves who goes where. What's available for your class is going to be different from what's available to other classes, there's no real way of telling what your chances are of getting x ship at y homeport at this point.
When you say that you had to decide it amongst yourselves, how did you do that? Was there a ranking you got in OCS or did you just kind of pick and hoped that no one else wanted that slot? I ask because my wife and I really want to be stationed in San Diego, so I want to make sure I do everything I can to help make that happen.

VoodooNova

None
When you say that you had to decide it amongst yourselves, how did you do that? Was there a ranking you got in OCS or did you just kind of pick and hoped that no one else wanted that slot? I ask because my wife and I really want to be stationed in San Diego, so I want to make sure I do everything I can to help make that happen.

Here's the way it works. You are ranked among the other SWO's; this is the order you will pick when you decide ships. As a SWO, you will attend a ship selection brief on a Friday, where the ship list will be distributed. It'll be # of SWO's plus one, sometimes plus two. After you receive the list, the SWO's will pick on the following Monday (or Tuesday, if Monday is a federal holiday). Typically, the group discusses the ships they want to be on, homeports they want to go to, their family situation, etc and picks the ships they want. If there are conflicts in choices, the two/three people talk it out. One thing to remember is that if someone who is ranked higher than you wants a ship, and doesn't want to give it up, you probably won't get that ship.

The key about ship selection is to keep an open mind. My class had 5/12 SWO's who wanted San Diego and only 2 spots. The class after me had a similar amount of people who wanted San Diego with only one spot. Maybe you won't have any San Diego spots, but 2-3 Spain instead. Maybe it'll be all Norfolk and one Pearl Harbor. Going in you just don't know, so it's better to have an open mind and not get settled on one place before you even know what your options will be.

Hey VoodooNova, I really appreciate your answer. You are right, my wife and I do need to keep an open mind about our ship selection.

When will my wife and son be able to move on base? Is it right after OCS when I go to base, or do they have to wait until I've completed BDOC? I'm hoping it's just after OCS. (Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but we're trying to plan as much as we can).

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
I wasn't SWO. I don't think they had any real disputes in picking who went where. It was truly a "decide amongst yourselves." Everyone had their preferences and they seemed to line up decently with availability.
That's where my my knowledge on the topic starts and ends.