• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left/right eye dominance

Hair Warrior

Contributor
So, I went to MEPS the other day. At age 32. That was fun.

At MEPS, I also learned my vision is 20/40 in my right eye and 20/17 in my left eye. Probably from staring at PowerPoint slides all day.

I'm right-handed, and I've always shot right-handed. I am a mediocre shot. I am wondering what my shooting options are. Is there such a trick as shooting right-handed while using my left eye? Or, do I try shooting left-handed?

I am hoping there are some SOF-type folks here who know all the crazy shooting tips like how to clear a phase II malfunction with their pinky toe or how to shoot right-handed and left-eyed.

I suppose I could go get prescription glasses but that sounds like a hassle and/or nerd alert.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
My grandfather way back when lost his eye when kicked by a mule. He cut the stock on the shotgun down low so he could use his other eye while still shooting right handed - I still have that Winchester 12 gauge. Not sure if you want to go that route but it was a unique idea.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My grandfather way back when lost his eye when kicked by a mule. He cut the stock on the shotgun down low so he could use his other eye while still shooting right handed - I still have that Winchester 12 gauge. Not sure if you want to go that route but it was a unique idea.
Interesting idea!

I do shoot shotguns (vs. fowl) but I guess I should have mentioned that I was thinking pistols. I shoot a Walther PPK in .380.

Maybe, maybe, maybe, if all the stars align, one of these days 3 yrs from now I would need to qual in the Navy with an M4 and a _____? -whatever pistol they give to sailors they send downrange.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Good luck with the PPK- I can't hit squat with a pistol. I used a shotgun for everything growing up: quail, doves, ducks and deer - (buckshot and hounds).

exNavyOffRec

just because your vision is off a bit don't blame that on being a mediocre shot, a buddy of mine has perfect vision and no matter how much instruction he has he is not a good shot at all.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm left-eye dominant and right handed. I shoot pistol with my left eye but rifle with my right. If you have a prescription, it doesn't really matter, just practice with whatever eye you want to. Eye-dominance can be trained out of you if you care to do it (I don't for pistol and life is still good).

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I'm also right handed/left-eye dominant.
Rifles are easy, I still struggle with shotguns (lack of practice) but I've put the time/effort into my revolver (S&W .357) and have learned to put a little "gangster lean" to the left to compensate for the eye.
AO from VP-46 taught me to twist wrist a little left instead of my head right, helped me shoot expert on the 9mm...

exNavyOffRec

I should also mention I am left eye dominant right handed, and I shoot pretty good with just about anything, you just have to adapt like others have said.

Just because your vision is good in one eye and bad in another does not mean your dominance aligns. To check for eye dominance, hold your arms straight out in front of you. Cover one hand with the other; making a triangle-like shape. Open your hands up just enough for a small gap to appear. Look through the gap in between your hands, and focus far away. Slowly bring your hands closer to your face, keeping your focus on something far away. Eventually your hands will bonk you in the face, and the gap between your hands will be over your dominant eye. Your other eye will be looking at the back of one of your hands.

Shoot a handgun with your dominant eye. This might result in a slight cock of the head if you have cross dominance, but with practice it isn't a problem. Don't use this technique with a rifle, unless you want to really challenge yourself or are very ambidextrous. Just close your dominant eye in this case if you have problems.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Great points, everyone.

Pickle-suit, I'll have to try that lean next time I'm at the range.

Big bad bo jenkins, thanks for the reminder - I titled this thread incorrectly. I am indeed right-hand and right-eye dominant. But I learned this week that my vision (esp. at distance) is far better in my left eye.

What now? Should I get a monocle?

I already catch enough flak from Navy IDC Reserve officer panel interviewers about working for a Fortune 500 management consulting firm... I suppose a monocle is just the next step in the caricature of an out-of-touch private sector guy like myself.