• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

27 Female. DUI in August 2014. Tattoos. Navy Veteran. I have faith...

AndriFlyHigh

That's rather unfortunate. That being said, if it were me, I'd still submit my package to every single board that I could let them deny me every single time that they felt necessary. At least I would've tried and gotten my denial in writing rather than allow rumor and pessimism to make me give up.

Yes I know that "the odds are not in my favor". I speak like I'm going to get in because I truly believe I can do anything. Yes, the DUI was a choice and a mistake... I'm dealing with the consequences each day. I'm still going to push and work as hard as possible to get back in the Navy. I'll stop when there is no damn chance in hell anyone will give me the time of day.

I just received the ASTB-E study guide in the mail. I'm beginning the studying tonight and will not give up until it's test time. I'll check here at forums for more study material and practice tests.

My recruiter mentioned that I could/should try going for Supply officer or a different type of officer because the time-constraints are what would hurt the most (that is if they waived a DUI in my case) being that I'm 28 in a few days. The ultimate dream is to be a pilot, Navy pilot is a huge plus! If I got accepted I'd take the Supply officer as my second choice.

So I get in (Pilot or Supply) RETIRE at 4oish. I'd train and get my commercial pilot license like i'm doing now throughout my navy career and when I retire I can land a civilian job as a corporate pilot. Where there's a will there's a way. Things will work out for me exactly how they are planned.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU all for all the awesome feedback. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

AndriFlyHigh

Unfortunately, talking with a rep at NRC with a good insight into these boards, he mentioned that a DUI pretty much nails the coffin shut for selection when it comes to the Pilot/NFO Boards. I do agree that everyone makes mistakes and deserves second chances, but that's up to you or me to decide when it comes to board selection.

As for waivers, they are not guaranteed by any means. The XO of my NRD (who's about to take over a in a few months) made it clear to the Wardroom that he will not approve any DUI waiver (unless there's some extenuating circumstance) if he's the bottom line authority.

:)

I know that for civilians going in there is a waiting period. Not sure if that's true for you.

I've been told supply corp is also very competitive. Have you considered SWO?

I was arrested for suspicion of DUI on a holiday weekend. The case was dropped because I was actually completely sober. The case was totally dismissed and the record was sealed. No conviction, no lawyers, no nothing. However, I still had to write a lengthy handwritten statement and I know it still hurt my application. I've been rejected twice for SWO/NFO/SNA, and I definitely think this 'incident' had something to do with it. Side note- I also have some good family 'connections,' which did not help me whatsoever.

You're going to really have to nail this ASTB. There are a lot of good sites, flashcards, gouge, etc. Good luck.

AndriFlyHigh

I know that for civilians going in there is a waiting period. Not sure if that's true for you.

I've been told supply corp is also very competitive. Have you considered SWO?

I was arrested for suspicion of DUI on a holiday weekend. The case was dropped because I was actually completely sober. The case was totally dismissed and the record was sealed. No conviction, no lawyers, no nothing. However, I still had to write a lengthy handwritten statement and I know it still hurt my application. I've been rejected twice for SWO/NFO/SNA, and I definitely think this 'incident' had something to do with it. Side note- I also have some good family 'connections,' which did not help me whatsoever.

You're going to really have to nail this ASTB. There are a lot of good sites, flashcards, gouge, etc. Good luck.

Yes, I'm looking at SWO, Public Relations and other options for me to re-enlist. I will study for the ASTB. What were your scores ?

exNavyOffRec

Disclaimer: Yeah I was joking. I don't want that to be misconstrued.

I thought so, but I have seen several who tried to play the (insert relative here) card with the boards but getting LOR's from their relatives as well as mentioning it in motivational statements.

exNavyOffRec

Yes, I'm looking at SWO, Public Relations and other options for me to re-enlist. I will study for the ASTB. What were your scores ?

If you weren't an MC then you should scratch PAO, except for 1 instance 4 years ago they only have selected those with experience as an MC, then they restricted applications to those on AD, not sure if they lifted that or not, and even then they want specific experience in the field of journalism and public affairs.

AndriFlyHigh

If you weren't an MC then you should scratch PAO, except for 1 instance 4 years ago they only have selected those with experience as an MC, then they restricted applications to those on AD, not sure if they lifted that or not, and even then they want specific experience in the field of journalism and public affairs.

What about SWO?

jtmedli

pilot
I thought so, but I have seen several who tried to play the (insert relative here) card with the boards but getting LOR's from their relatives as well as mentioning it in motivational statements.

Yeah I think that having a letter from an O-6 or Admiral is great thing if they genuinely know you and can vouch for you but that's pretty rare. The important part is having LORs from people who you've worked for, volunteered for, or other legitimate associations and that's understated. Who writes the letter is significantly less important than your relationship with said person and the content.

exNavyOffRec

Just thought I'd chime in here. I'm 25, got a DUI at 18 and currently have my packet up at CNRC.

Luckily my NRD did push a waiver through for my DUI...

I have seen SNA and SNFO with high ASTB scores selected with a DUI or other minor issues but those same issues will sink a person in another designator.