• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Advice on Buying in PCola

Whitefoot

None
Has anyone had experience with buying a house in PCola during training? Welcome all serious advice. Thanks!

whoawolfie

Here for the free popcorn.
It's alright if you are a prior planning to retire there in under a decade, or similar. If you are a day one student, buy at your first duty station after you finish the RAG. There's much more chance that you'll live often at a fleet hub then at Pcola. Unless you are die hard set on being an instructor there for shore tour (which will be mildly frowned upon in rankings), you will live there for six months or so, and never be back. Rentals are high-turnover rate in that town, which is also frustrating. The housing market there is still low after the '08 dive. I bought, and I'm heading back, but it was unexpected, and if I had to start over, I wouldn't have bought. Squirrel some cash away, wait for that promo, and buy as a rich JG. FWIW.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Who do you want to rent to? Most flight students seemed to live in Milton, Pace, or Cantonment (near the coeds at the Univ of West Florida).

You can get a cottage relatively inexpensively in East Hill, renovate it, then will have no problem renting it out long term to locals. It is a cool place to live - close to Ozones, City Grocery, Jay's Bakery, etc and just south of Cordova Mall.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't buy without doing your homework on hurricanes and being properly insured therefor. Lest you get bent over by something like Ivan or Dennis. Never buying real estate in hurricane country myself; two of them as a renter and BOQ rat was enough.