• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want to be a professional (non-airline) pilot when I grow up

brownshoe

Contributor
Have you sent your resume' to this fellow, Flt Lt Sibanda? Seems like a good possibility, company just getting started and all. Heck I just sent him a check.:D (Just kidding. Go get a beverage... fun to watch.)

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Domestically, the biggest non-govt employers are EMS and the oil companies. I will let someone else speak of EMS as I do not have first hand experience. However the oil companies in the GOM generally work 7 on / 7 off or 14 on / 14 off. You will start a shift on Tue, Wed, or Thu. Generally the progression is from VFR PIC to IFR SIC to IFR Captain. Small ships (VFR only) such as the 206L4 and 407 work fields - lot of takeoff and landings. Mediums (Bell 412, Sikorsky S-76, Augusta 139) as well as Heavy's (Airbus 225 and Sikorsky S-92) generally fly back and forth to the same big platforms.

International oil and gas is 28/28, 42/42, or 60/60 depending on the company and the aircraft.

As for websites, www.justhelicopters.com is domestic, www.jsfirm.com is primarily domestic and www.pprune.org is international.

Fallonflyr

pilot
I don't want to thread jack, so maybe I should create a new thread since this one is geared towards rotary. But have any fixed wing guys got gigs flying outside of airlines. Right now, still have a lot of time left, I am not to interested in airlines. Has anyone done corporate, small cargo operations, pipeline, skydiver, medevac, or some other gig?
Other than a minority of corporate jobs, all these jobs are low paying time builders to get to that coveted seat at the majors...not careers.

highside7r

None
Working with many contract FW guys here in the 'Stan from all branches, also have a contact with AAR flying Pumas. As I get ready for leaving the service myself, jsfirm.com was mentioned, some of the larger EMS companies have sites one can post resumes to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't see any data behind the statement, but ASO school put out last week that EMS aviation is now the most dangerous gig in civil aviation. Food for thought/further discussion.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I didn't see any data behind the statement, but ASO school put out last week that EMS aviation is now the most dangerous gig in civil aviation. Food for thought/further discussion.

I think that's a bit of a loaded statement. I seem to have read that in the last year, that may be the case, and that over the last <small period of time>, the industry's record hasn't been stellar, but I think the actual facts are a bit more complicated. Things like a VFR operator versus an IFR operator come into play.

One could say that for FY14, F-18s are the most deadliest gig in Naval Aviation (7 Class As). But obviously there's more to the story than just that (5 H-60 Class As).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Single engine/single pilot VFR EMS operations has a pretty bad run over the last decade or so. Lots of "going into a zone at night on NVGs and balling it up" or losing and engine and Auto-ing to the deck. There's been a pronounced shift to multi-engine/multi pilot IFR operations due largely to insurance rates skyrocketing for VFR ops.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Back in the day, most of the offshore stuff was single engine, single pilot. Nowadays, it is mainly multi-engine, multi-pilot. Good news for us as it means more pilots. A few of the other rules were that single engine could not take off until after sunrise and had to be on deck 30 minutes prior to sunset. Gotta get up early!

Ralph

Fire jobs pay well especially if you can get on with someone like Calfire since it's year round. Downside is you're gone a lot in the summer. Problem with rotor jobs is they pay less than fixed wing. Course some people are not happy with making $120k plus in the airlines.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This thread seems as good of a home for my rumor mongering. Just met a CBP employee at my kid's music lessons. She said that they're going be opening hiring for RW pilots soon and will have multiple openings.

Also am in a class with a VR (herc) bubba who said that there's now an established pipeline to transition former Helo drivers with no FW time to the Herc. So SELRES FW flying for former helo bubbas is now possible if you're willing to spend the time in Corpus.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This thread seems as good of a home for my rumor mongering. Just met a CBP employee at my kid's music lessons. She said that they're going be opening hiring for RW pilots soon and will have multiple openings.

I had a looooong talk with several CBP A&M recruiters a couple of weeks ago. BL: they are desperate for pilots. While they're not really changing their requirements (other than working on legislating the removal of the poly for SECRET holders, not just TS), they seem to be willing to be very flexible in how they interpret the requirements. They're also able to hire not just from USAJobs, but also push a direct hire request to HR and go around OPM. Apparently offers to start the various wickets of the process can come as soon as a week after the application is submitted. Also, apparently of the 5,000 new hires for border security, 500 of them will be A&M, which is a staggering number given how small they already are.

Several of the recruiters were prior Army guys and while they were still recruiters, if you talked with them for a bit and asked good questions, they could see you were generally interested in the job and would word their answers a little differently to try and give an honest answer rather than just, "It's great! Join now!"

As someone who has a little over a year left and still would need a disability rating to get hired, they wanted my resume on the spot, which they then scanned into the system so I was already on file.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Also am in a class with a VR (herc) bubba who said that there's now an established pipeline to transition former Helo drivers with no FW time to the Herc. So SELRES FW flying for former helo bubbas is now possible if you're willing to spend the time in Corpus.
That's been sort of an on again/off again thing in VR for a while. Some years they don't take helo guys, other years it's OK as long as you did a fixed wing tour along the way (i.e. station pilot or primary IP). Sometimes the business rules are different for SELRES and FTS flying backgrounds, sometimes not.

About five years ago or maybe longer now, there was a helo guy in one of the VR squadrons who wasn't doing so well and the command FNAEB'ed him. He found something in an instruction somewhere that said they should have sent him, being a helo guy with no airplane time since primary, to a multiengine short course (for example, modified advanced in Corpus). Long story short, his Congressman saw it his way. That sent some, uh, ripples through the VR community for a few years and there no more helo bubbas for a while (unless you'd done a f/w tour). There's more to it than that but those are the salient points.

There's a modified advanced syllabus in every pipeline. It's basically a template for transitioning pilots, occasionally used, and of course it can get tailored to individuals, case by case. Also, of course, it costs money...

Rockriver

pilot
finding a walk-on flying job in local LE is tough.

Customs & Border Protection. I spent 22 years flying with them. (I've been retired for a few years, so my info might be somewhat dated.) Basically, you get hired after a long process, go to FLETC for 4 months to learn how to be a cop (Air Interdicton Agent), report to your assigned branch, and then begin training in various aircraft. You do not have to "pay your dues on the street." If you report to a legacy Border Patrol branch, you'll likely fly small helicopters and light aircraft, primarily looking for border crossers. If you report to a legacy Customs Service branch, you might fly Astars, Blackhawks and maybe transition into Cessna Citations, flying patrols looking for air smugglers, airspace security missions, air surveillance support to special agents, etc. Your first year you will be a GS-11, the next year a 12, and then a 13, all with an additional 25% LEAP, Law Enforcement Availability Pay, which means they own your ass at all times, just like the military. Retirement is good, as long as you have enough discipline to max out the Thrift Savings Plan and never, ever touch it until you retire after 20. A large percentage of CBP pilots are former military and bring their attitudes and sense of comaraderie with them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've no idea how CBP will get 5,000 new agents, or even 500, as long as the current hiring process and poly are in place.