• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Selection: Very discouraged..

Hello aviators!

My question for all of you is this: I'm prior-service Navy, of the aviation community (AM), currently one year post EAS with a year left before my bachelor's degree is complete. When I left the service, it was a dream of mine to one day return as a NFO. What I'm running into now is a lot of discouraging gouge with regards to my chances of selection through OCS.

I'm currently majoring in history with a 4.0 GPA, tons of extra-curriculars, and a job as an editor with the college press. I excelled during my enlisted years, always earning MP/EP evals, NAMs, etc. I took flying lessons in my off time and racked up 40 hours. I'm 23 and have 3 years left on my IRR contract, so I thought I might have a reasonable chance of picking up a slot, but after asking this question on Yahoo! I got some pretty nasty replies.

An individual who claims to be in the business of officer accessions told me my major was a huge negative (even with a 4.0 GPA, because "they only want STEM majors"), the fact that I'm prior service was another neg. (who wants disgusting, putrid former E's stinking up the O corps), the flight lessons were also a neg. and I needed "more leadership exp." (Never mind being a former NCO, completing a B.S. in 2.5 years, and being a member of 4 clubs and organizations while working part time). He basically told me to kick rocks and GFYS.

Is this guy being unreasonable, or do I still have a shot? I'm going to apply either way, but I would feel a lot better about the whole thing if I knew the real deal.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What you got off Yahoo is total bull shit. You are lucky to have found Air Warriors. I am years out of the recruiting business but given what I hear from others with more recent experience you absolutely have a chance. Hopefully you will hear from recently selected NFOs, priors, a current or a recently retired recruiter. The quotes about prior service and leadership being a negative gives the guy away as a no nothing troll. Prior service is not a negative as long as you have good paper. You are good in the leadership category as well. While STEM is generally preferred a liberal arts degree is not disqualifying. With your GPA and good scores on the ASTB you have a shot. Surf around the forum. Lots of good gouge to brighten your day. Good Luck.

robav8r

None
Contributor
My son is 23 and he is WAY too influenced by the information that is circulating on the interwebs and social media. Sounds like you have a good set of credentials. Even more important is the fact you have a dream that you are passionate about. Don't let anyone or anything (yes, even Yahoo :) get in the way of that !

Say what?

That's a craptastic load of poo.

The best O's/aviators in my last squadron (as well as AOCS, primary, intermediate, advanced and the RAG) were prior enlisted.

Just an FYI, I worked on 60-Bravo's and a little bit on Romeo's while I was in. Cool aircraft, and I worked for a lot of great pilots, many of whom were prior-E, including the skipper!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Don't let those dudes discourage you man. Prior Es are very much welcome in the Officer ranks.

If you're serious, get in touch with an Officer Recruiter (not a regular recruiter) and start the process. Have your DD214s ready and study for the ASTB test. The test isn't hard, but it also isn't the standard Navy pass/fail deal. Higher scores do matter.

Whitefoot

None
Hello aviators!

My question for all of you is this: I'm prior-service Navy, of the aviation community (AM), currently one year post EAS with a year left before my bachelor's degree is complete. When I left the service, it was a dream of mine to one day return as a NFO. What I'm running into now is a lot of discouraging gouge with regards to my chances of selection through OCS.

I'm currently majoring in history with a 4.0 GPA, tons of extra-curriculars, and a job as an editor with the college press. I excelled during my enlisted years, always earning MP/EP evals, NAMs, etc. I took flying lessons in my off time and racked up 40 hours. I'm 23 and have 3 years left on my IRR contract, so I thought I might have a reasonable chance of picking up a slot, but after asking this question on Yahoo! I got some pretty nasty replies.

An individual who claims to be in the business of officer accessions told me my major was a huge negative (even with a 4.0 GPA, because "they only want STEM majors"), the fact that I'm prior service was another neg. (who wants disgusting, putrid former E's stinking up the O corps), the flight lessons were also a neg. and I needed "more leadership exp." (Never mind being a former NCO, completing a B.S. in 2.5 years, and being a member of 4 clubs and organizations while working part time). He basically told me to kick rocks and GFYS.

Is this guy being unreasonable, or do I still have a shot? I'm going to apply either way, but I would feel a lot better about the whole thing if I knew the real deal.
**digs for 2 pennies**

Look at my credentials and tell me how much sense those guys made. The only thing not showing is that I got my degree in Intelligence Studies from AMU. Go get it man.

**digs for 2 pennies**

Look at my credentials and tell me how much sense those guys made. The only thing not showing is that I got my degree in Intelligence Studies from AMU. Go get it man.

Lots of great info from all of you, but your stats were really compelling, considering your OAR and major. My aviation background should give me a little leg up on the ASTB, and I've learned a lot about which study guide to choose by perusing past threads, so I'll be sure to hit the books ASAP. I see you'll be heading off to OCS very soon, so best of luck to you and congratulations on getting selected!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya Who??? As others have said, you found a purveyor of misinformation. Just about everything you were told was dead wrong. For aviation (SNA/SNFO), they like STEMs; however, all majors are OK, but GPA is king! If you can score average to above on the OAR/ASTB battery with the experience/achievments listed, go visit your nearest Navy Officer recruiter, you have a excellent shot.

Re: college major, I was a prior Navy E-5 with NO college when selected fot flight training. Did well enough to get jets, then had a great career as a 4000+ hour accident-free VF & VA fleet Pilot. Proves that the degree major has little, if any effect on learning to fly. College GPA matters, as it indicates the study habits and learning skills to be successful in flight training, and as an Officer.:)

94th_Fighter_Squadron[1].png
"Throw your hat in the ring", and good luck!:confused:
BzB

exNavyOffRec

Hello aviators!

The person that told you this was full of BS, when you take the ASTB and if you can get 8's or 9's you will have a great shot. I would find a decent OR and take the ASTB as soon as you can, you are getting close to being able to submit.

brownshoe

Contributor
Grease Monkey you just happened to show up at the right place on the "interwebs". These folks here on AW can give you honest help . Yahoo is a joke for true information (sorry Jerry Yang and David Filo). If you look at the profiles of the people here on AW you'll see some real NA history (see BzB's post above^^).

The person that told you this was full of BS, when you take the ASTB and if you can get 8's or 9's you will have a great shot. I would find a decent OR and take the ASTB as soon as you can, you are getting close to being able to submit.

I noticed through your username that you are/were an officer recruiter. What should I look for to know whether or not he/she is decent? I remember my enlisted recruiter; I was what they called a "GFG" or "Gift from God," and I still had to pressure him to keep the process moving. So I would assume one who keeps on top of things and is genuinely interested in helping you put together a successful package would be a plus.

kayteedee

Lots of great info from all of you, but your stats were really compelling, considering your OAR and major. My aviation background should give me a little leg up on the ASTB, and I've learned a lot about which study guide to choose by perusing past threads, so I'll be sure to hit the books ASAP. I see you'll be heading off to OCS very soon, so best of luck to you and congratulations on getting selected!

What you got off Yahoo is total bull shit. You are lucky to have found Air Warriors. I am years out of the recruiting business but given what I hear from others with more recent experience you absolutely have a chance. Hopefully you will hear from recently selected NFOs, priors, a current or a recently retired recruiter. The quotes about prior service and leadership being a negative gives the guy away as a no nothing troll. Prior service is not a negative as long as you have good paper. You are good in the leadership category as well. While STEM is generally preferred a liberal arts degree is not disqualifying. With your GPA and good scores on the ASTB you have a shot. Surf around the forum. Lots of good gouge to brighten your day. Good Luck.

Yeah, as a recently selected NFO, I'll give you my stats... They look comparable to what you said in terms of college! :)

BA - Communications, Mass Media from a liberal arts school
3.8 GPA, graduated in 3.5 years
A few extracurriculars with leadership experience
54 6/6/6 on the ASTB
No prior service
25 years old (24 when I applied)

Don't be discouraged! Good luck.