• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seasick Swo

cem118

I am heading to OCS Feb 08. Going to be a SWO afterwards. This is silly but was curious about people's experience with sea sickness. I sail for sport and often get sick. Its not a big deal on a sail boat when you are at most 3 feet from the water. Was wondering how bad it gets on a ship. I've read that one gets over it with enough time. Anyone have any experience with this?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, if you sail for sport, it can't be too debilitating.

Doc will give you some Dramamine and you'll take a little nap. Probably get over it in a day or two.

In the meantime you'll get to experience the merciless assholery of those who aren't seasick. "Hey, ensign, want some spicy Doritos? Pork adobo? Extra-greasy bacon?"

BigRed389

None
I am heading to OCS Feb 08. Going to be a SWO afterwards. This is silly but was curious about people's experience with sea sickness. I sail for sport and often get sick. Its not a big deal on a sail boat when you are at most 3 feet from the water. Was wondering how bad it gets on a ship. I've read that one gets over it with enough time. Anyone have any experience with this?

Small craft seasick is totally different from ships.

I only got sick once on a DDG, and that was probably due to a combination of several things.
On a small craft? If I was in the troop compartment inside one of the little 50ft boats in my av, riding sideways, and we were in high seas, it was puke city.

IMO, wave periodicity and lack of horizon reference is what really screws you up. On a warship, even in high seas, you get a pretty nice long wave period so it all gets spread out gradually.

That said, some people just get sick no matter what...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man, I never slept so good as I did on the CG. Went through some pretty heavy seas and loved it, both on the bridge and in my rack. I spent A LOT of time in the RHIB for various reasons and never had a problem with that either. Those were some good times. Now, I just sit here and peck away at my computer all day. Yawn.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On a CVN, 02 deck forward in Officer's Country aft of the foc'sle was a great place to sleep. Just enough rocking. As long as the boat wasn't pitching too too much. If it got too bad, it felt like you were mildly pulling G's in your rack, which was a bit distracting.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
A couple of weeks ago PenguinGuy went fishing with some of his SWO buddies. PenguinGuy spent a good chunk of the time throwing up over the side of the boat. That said, when is in a ship, even a little frigate, after a day or so of nausea, he is good to go.

Don't stress about getting seasick now, concentrate on OCS and the task at hand!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On a CVN, 02 deck forward in Officer's Country aft of the foc'sle was a great place to sleep.
Yeah, I bet it was. My stateroom on ABE was on the 2nd deck, port side, pretty much right below the start of cats 3 and 4. I got it on launch and recovery. God that sucked. Worst sleep of my life plus my rack had a slight bend to it. My back hurt for months after we returned back from that 10 month deployment in 2003. I can still hear and feel the planes launching and recovering 11 years later.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I bet it was. My stateroom on ABE was on the 2nd deck, port side, pretty much right below the start of cats 3 and 4. I got it on launch and recovery. God that sucked. Worst sleep of my life plus my rack had a slight bend to it. My back hurt for months after we returned back from that 10 month deployment in 2003. I can still hear and feel the planes launching and recovering 11 years later.
I'd love to know who the genius naval architect was who put working spaces on 02 deck and still had so many staterooms and berthing on 03 deck. Freaking horrid place to live. I didn't consider roommates (though they turned out OK), logistics, or anything else. I just knew there was no way in hell I was sleeping on 03 deck when I had the lineal number to get a stateroom on 02 deck. I'm not a light sleeper, but it takes some effort to actually GET to sleep. Even without towbars being dropped 2 1/2 feet over your head.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Usually the way sea sickness works is you'll be sick for a few days, once you get used to the motion of the ship it will subside and you'll be alright. The only problem is when you're in port for extended periods of times, you start all over again. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you can do competitive sailing and deal with it, you're not going to have too much trouble on the ship, except perhaps the lack of horizon. Just remember, lowest deck, leeward side.

Oh, the patches are great I hear, however, you might escape the mocking if you just pop the pills. Either way Penguin Gal said it best, don't worry about it now. In the words of Ted Kennedy "we'll drive off that bridge when we get there"

On Enterprise, we had a Suppo who got seasick, got kicked out of SWO-land (bad?), and ended up back on Enterprise. PenguinGal's advice is solid. Concentrate on OCS, if your seasickness is horrible, after several miserable months you'll get pulled to do something else...but you'll probably be OK. FWIW, the Suppo seemed fine on a CVN. Maybe it was just bulimia?

N4Life

If it does get bad, the Navy is willing to help. The OpsO on my first boat was initially CHENG on a MCM but he was constantly seasick (in port) so the Navy gave him new orders to a LPD to continue his career.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Seasickness comes and goes. Depending on the size of the ship and where you are (topside is usually better than in the plant) seasickness intensity will vary. I typically get a little nauseous and sleepy the first day out no matter what, but after a good nap and some chow, I'm usually good to go. The worst I've experienced was on the first day out for contractor sea trials on a frigate during the middle of winter in the Atlantic. We had 14-15 foot seas and even got up to 40 degree rolls. Needless to say I and most of the crew spent a good portion of the day in our racks.

azguy

None
I get more sick than most. The pills and sleep help a lot, as does fresh air, a bland diet, and even a friendly call to the bridge to ask them if they can accommodate a better course (they usually can). Regardless, your body will always acclimate within a few days to even the roughest sea states.