• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNO:FLEET to be SPARED

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...y-cno-greenert-testimony-fleet-size/22595863/

The highlights from this are, we aren't cutting anything else, we are sacrificing tomorrow's capabilities for today's readiness, some civilian thinks we fly too much, and Hornet pilots fly 60 hours a week on deployment, but 10 hours a week at home.

I'd like to meet the guy who's logging 240 hours a month and shake his hand! Don't the silly shoes know we are too busy writing evals and awards, cleaning up their mess from the O-4 board last year, gun decking quals and currency because lord help us to get parts or hours to be current at all, and polishing our brown boots.

I think while it's dandy to watch the CNO put a freshman congressman from Arkansas who was elected at a county fair, just moved to the big city, and doesn't know the difference between a hole in the ground and his sister, this is but one more example with how out of touch leadership truly is.

IRfly

None
60 hours a week? That means at least 40 traps a week, which means that one solid deployment puts you over a thousand. Baller.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
10 hours a week at home? The Marines are getting less than that a month. I don't buy it.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The next sentence he factored in sim time as part of the 10 hrs/week. That might be believable.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
So now because civilians think we are flying too much we are flying too much? I think Congress is paid too much, but nobody seems to care... weird.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
That has to be a misspeak or misprint - those hours are about right on if we're talking monthly rather than weekly.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think CNO was just spit-balling to make a point, not to make a factual statement on actual flight hours. You can't expect a 4-star to have a handle on that level of specificity - they just don't have the bandwidth to get into the weeds, so it's easy to understand a misspeak like that.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
While I agree with your statement, Brett, those kinds of misspeaks can cause real damage when folks like SECNAV and Congress take those numbers seriously and base decisions on them. Especially when the number is actually 20-25% of what was quoted.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I agree with your statement, Brett, those kinds of misspeaks can cause real damage when folks like SECNAV and Congress take those numbers seriously and base decisions on them. Especially when the number is actually 20-25% of what was quoted.
Understand your concern, but that's not really how policy decisions are made at that level. I wouldn't spend any brain power worrying about it or overthinking it.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
That has to be a misspeak or misprint - those hours are about right on if we're talking monthly rather than weekly.
I think CNO was just spit-balling to make a point, not to make a factual statement on actual flight hours. You can't expect a 4-star to have a handle on that level of specificity - they just don't have the bandwidth to get into the weeds, so it's easy to understand a misspeak like that.

Agree, with both. My issue for Brett though is: he HAS to know people are watching and listening to him. He HAS to know that he's got a minor green-pajama'd insurgency on his hands. And when I say "he HAS to know," I mean someone on his staff has to know. When you don't give the boss better info, and then he goes out and puts his foot in his mouth... That's a failure on a few levels. And also, not at all surprising.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
Misspeak or misprint, I really don't care. At this point because of the decisions and actions coming down, I doubt it was either. The bigger disappointment is I can't even give the guy the benefit of the doubt, because I don't really believe the top brass cares the people.

It's about time to start winning back the hearts and minds of the people that we expect to go win hearts and minds around the globe.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Understand your concern, but that's not really how policy decisions are made at that level. I wouldn't spend any brain power worrying about it or overthinking it.
I love it when you remind us all that you have a much broader understanding of how executive level decisions are made. :rolleyes:

Cynicism breeds critical thought. I hope your ready room has its cynics and I hope they feel comfortable enough to speak their minds when it is appropriate.