• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

Raul B

Here's a fun perspective: I applied to OCS when I was 26 - I'll be 28 when I actually leave
Similar story: I was 22 when I started the application process. Hopefully--*knocks on wood*--I'll be 24 when I leave for OCS. And I may even graduate before I turn 25.

Both of those are brutal waits...I'm just getting anxious b/c I'm a couple months from age critical. Best of luck to both of you that the purgatory ends soon

Bluecore

Both of those are brutal waits...I'm just getting anxious b/c I'm a couple months from age critical. Best of luck to both of you that the purgatory ends soon

If that is the case, you need to be up your ORs butt on getting to OCS because they may forget about you or overlook the fact that you're coming up on your limit. Based on what I have read, they don't hand out those waivers AT ALL for non-priors.

Raul B

If that is the case, you need to be up your ORs butt on getting to OCS because they may forget about you or overlook the fact that you're coming up on your limit. Based on what I have read, they don't hand out those waivers AT ALL for non-priors.

Understood; definitely haven't let them forget...I actually have been calling on the processor along with my recruiter to get an answer. My recruiter has been MIA for the past 3 weeks and I haven't gotten a return call from the processor or even reached them...it's always message machine. Anyone know where to find that phone number so I can double check?

torpedotor

I wouldn't be too concerned (as long as you're pushing your OR hard about it). I've seen a lot of guys get picked up sooner than they usually would have because they were age-crit. Plus, you're NFO, so you should get picked up soon, I hope. Best of luck!

Here's a fun perspective: I applied to OCS when I was 26 - I'll be 28 when I actually leave

Yep! Started back in January of 2014, when I was 23. SWO here, will be leaving when I am no younger than 25. If it's the July-October time frame, it will have been possibly as long as 1.75 years from first contact to OCS ship date. Not that this is a competition.....And if it is one- can I please lose!!!!!!!

otejay

It's not all bad to be a little older as a Junior Officer because, in my experience, enlisted personnel tend to have harder time respecting a 22 year old than a 25 year old.

True. But I truly hope that performance and leadership skills make age irrelevant. From what I understand, working well with your NCOs, getting to know the enlisted under your management, and overall humble pie (butter bars ≠ God) here and there will go a long way.

priorguy

True. But I truly hope that performance and leadership skills make age irrelevant. From what I understand, working well with your NCOs, getting to know the enlisted under your management, and overall humble pie (butter bars ≠ God) here and there will go a long way.
I think that goes without saying - I'm just pointing out the psychology. No matter how great of an officer you are, it helps to be a little older. Mostly, I'm just trying to make light of the whole waiting situation.

otejay

I think that goes without saying - I'm just pointing out the psychology. No matter how great of an officer you are, it helps to be a little older. Mostly, I'm just trying to make light of the whole waiting situation.

Sorry if I made it sound like I was coming at you. It was more of a concern since I'll be one of those young ensigns.

JamesDStrunk

Look at it this way, you're ahead of the curve and on the right track.

If/when you do encounter an occasion where you find you are lacking the respect of enlisted, remember that the respect is not optional. As enlisted it is required of us to obey the orders of the NCOs and Officers above us. You can either correct the Sailor yourself or have your chief do it. Trust me on this: the thing a lot of Sailors fear most is pissing off their chief.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Look at it this way, you're ahead of the curve and on the right track.

If/when you do encounter an occasion where you find you are lacking the respect of enlisted, remember that the respect is not optional. As enlisted it is required of us to obey the orders of the NCOs and Officers above us. You can either correct the Sailor yourself or have your chief do it. Trust me on this: the thing a lot of Sailors fear most is pissing off their chief.

one thing to think about, if the junior enlisted personnel don't follow what the CPO or officer wants they get yelled at, if it continually happens the CPO and officer can get fired while the junior guys just get yelled at some more, the CPO and officer have much more to lose than some junior enlisted so you better know the best way to motivate your personnel.